TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My MS's fan was ON for 2-days

Discussion in 'Model S' started by phaduman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. phaduman

phaduman Supporting Member

We came back from spring break to notice our plugged-in MS75D's fans were ON (loud noise that you cannot help but notice). Wife and I both were worried how long had it been on - I said it must have been for a short while because a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla - so it works to keep the battery in optimum temperature bla bla...Our car was plugged in for the entire week we were out.

I went back and checked my nest cam recording in my garage and see that the car's fan was ON for close to 3 days. From April 5th to April 8th - continuously (as in, I clicked at various 2-3hr gaps in continuous recording and noticed the same fan noise). It only stopped when I unlocked the car and turned off the AC (yes, AC was on when I last locked the car a week ago). Also, the Nav update (Beta) notification was up on the screen. The car's s/w was updated on March 30th (2018.12) just before we went out for spring break.

Should I just forget about it? Should I call Tesla and ask them to check the logs? Not so concerned if this is a one-time thing, but worried about overheating/damaging some parts due to constant-ON for 36+hrs.

Thx

2. Electricious

Electricious Member

Did you turn on the feature to keep the cabin at a set temperature?

By fans do you mean the AC/Climate control fans or the cooling system for the battery?

3. phaduman

car was garaged and temp remained between 55-65 (northern california mild weather). I have the cabin overheat protection OFF. And, the noise was from front of the car - I am assuming the fan was for cooling the battery coolants (which is somehow tied to the AC too)?

4. thimel

thimel Member

Any chance a door wasn’t fully closed? That causes the car to stay on.

5. Electricious

Electricious Member

Could Tesla look at the car logs? They should be able to tell you exactly why this happened.

6. phaduman

it was locked and for the first 4 days of our vacation, car was completely quiet. I could trace back and hear the sounds start on April 5th - after what looked like a start of charging (to top off). I had the battery set to 50% charge (during the vacation days).