Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX has been sitting in the garage for 5 weeks now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 12/2/2018 some jackass broke my rear window to steal my daughter's bag ($15) thinking it was something valuable. I called Tesla the next day, and they set me an appointment to replace the window a week later. I get there, and they ordered the rear window on the passenger side rather than the driver side. So they need to order a new window, but ETA is unknown. Fast forward 4 weeks, and I'm still waiting on the glass. I've called them every week to make sure they haven't forgotten, but the answer is always the same. They don't have an ETA because there aren't any in stock, but my VIN has been registered for the glass so they'll call me as soon as they see one in stock.

It's frustrating.. to see my MX just sitting there in the garage for 5 weeks now..

Can I order a 2017 used glass to maybe replace it? I saw one on ebay, but I'm not sure if it can be used for MX 2018 model, or Tesla would even use it to replace it.

Also, should I drive the car around my neighborhood like an ICE car? Normally, it's not a good idea to let an ICE car sit for so long, but I'm not sure if it's the same with Teslas.

That's messed up, hope they move on it finally. I'd tape it up and get some driving in, look for things wrong and make a detailed list. Bring the list at repair time and get as much done as possible in one visit.

I'm not saying to expect other issues, just that driving it early can be helpful.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Buy a used one on ebay and deal with that for now.

If you go through your comp claim, you would have a rental car.
I have an extra car from my business that I use so I won’t have to go through deductable with insurance, and Tesla offered a loaner once the car is in their hands. But since they dont have the part, they can’t give me a loaner yet.

So 2017 used glass works for 2018 model?

Update: Tesla finally got the part, and I'm scheduled for this Thursday. That's 7 weeks of waiting, but hopefully I'll get to drive the car next week.

Elon,

What the heck is wrong with you?!?

SEVEN WEEKS for a piece of glazing on a car that's been in production since 2016?

PLEASE, get your act together.

It's BS like this is damaging the brand.

Get on it!

Thx.

Same situation here outside of Sacramento - Attempted break-in on 1/9/19 at a restaurant parking lot. Waiting 3-1/2 weeks now for replacement back left passenger's FWD window. We're early adopters for both the MX and Model 3 and awaiting Tesla Solar on the house. No matter what, extensive delays in replacement parts are unacceptable.

It's frustrating.. to see my MX just sitting there in the garage for 5 weeks now..
Can I order a 2017 used glass to maybe replace it? I saw one on ebay, but I'm not sure if it can be used for MX 2018 model, or Tesla would even use it to replace it.

Some have replaced the glass with aluminum plate, some have used Lexan or such plastic that won't break. Does it have to be glass?

And put valuables in the frunk.

I've found that writing maybe a half dozen emails, and calling to find who to talk to at Main Tesla (Fremont) parts about another half dozen times can break things loose sometimes, to get your rear shelf. If you don't mind being called a crazy crank customer.

I had other mechanical parts that broke with the car. Due to parts unavailability, the car has to be lemoned because of it. Stupid stuff like that is going to cost the company many customers.

Stunning levels of incompetence can be found at various levels at Tesla, but I cannot fathom why. Not only is it very hard to be hired there, but then they regularly purge those they do not wish to keep on board.

What the heck is going on with Tesla on the corporate side of things? It's stories like this that drive me insane, not just as a stockholder, but as a strong supporter that has purchased many of their vehicles to support their mission.

Elon, please get to the bottom of this YESTERDAY.

Thx.

Exactly, my case was that I lost use of my car for many days of ownership. Cars are depreciating assets, there is a cost in letting it sit.

Other than a home charger, you need a backup car in order to have a Tesla as the car will be in the shop for an extended trip at some point of your ownership. Best and worst car ever.

Exactly, my case was that I lost use of my car for many days of ownership. Cars are depreciating assets, there is a cost in letting it sit.

Other than a home charger, you need a backup car in order to have a Tesla as the car will be in the shop for an extended trip at some point of your ownership. Best and worst car ever.

The only saving grace IME is that I've always been provided with an equivalent Tesla loan car and don't mind putting mileage on those rather than my own car!