Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX is ready 6 months early—what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MX with 6 months more on the lease. Given supply chain issues, I ordered a new MX (Plaid) about 2-3 months ago to make sure I had the new one before my current MX lease expires.

The original delivery window I was given was Oct-Dec. But I just got a text asking me to schedule delivery next week! I guess the wait time for a Plaid is much shorter than for other Tesla models?

Now I’m not sure what to do. I don’t need/want both. Will Tesla repurchase the vehicle from me? I seem to recall exploring that as a possibility when I first ordered the new Plaid.

Also, what happens if I pass on this current delivery? I believe I can do that once and then be reassigned a new VIN when the next vehicle is available?

It’s nearly impossible to reach a live person at Tesla these days, so hoping I can get some answers here Thanks!

P.S. I’m about to go off the grid for 5 days, so I won’t be able to respond here until Monday, but I’m grateful for any replies between now and then!

I had same issue. I bought out the car before lease end. Now I am selling the X for a profit and then get my new X. Make sure you get a buyer first and go with them directly to DMV to transfer title so you don't pay sales tax twice. I didn't and ended up paying twice.

Thanks! Do you mean get a buyer before buying out the lease? And then take them to the DMV so that the title is transferred directly to them from Tesla instead of from Tesla to me and then from me to them?

Curious, how long did you have your MX? Amazing you were able to sell for a profit after a year or two.

Go in the Tesla app and under manage lease you can get an early termination quote. Unsure if it is true for every case, but they are allowing early termination at no cost given the value of the vehicle.
Thanks. I checked and it does seem that’s an option. I guess I’ll find out how much it would cost to purchase the MX and what I could sell it for used, and then decide if it’s worth doing that vs just terminating the lease.

B28E58FD-4337-4961-9289-AC488BB223A2.png