Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX smells like something died in it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drove the MX to a rural location about a month ago. When she came back to the vehicle and got in (after being gone for about 5 hours), it smelled horrible. Hard to describe, but it was somewhere between rotten food and a dead animal. Yet there was no food in the MX, and even if a small animal could have entered the vehicle somehow (doors were closed), and then died, it seems like that would be too short of a time frame for the smell to get that bad.

When she got home and told me about the smell, I looked under the vehicle and everywhere inside of it. I couldn't find anything suspicious. But the smell was horrible.

I tried running Bio-Weapon Defense Mode for a few days to clear out the smell. That helped a little bit. Then we used some strong air freshener. That masked the "dead/rotten" smell somewhat, but it was still in the background.

We're a month into this now, and each time I get into the MX I smell a combo of dead/rotten and air freshener. It's way less than before, maybe 80-90% lower, but it's still there, and it doesn't seem to be improving very quickly.

Two questions:
  1. Any ideas for what could have caused this and how it might have happened?
  2. Any thoughts on how to address the lingering smell?

Our MX started having a sour rotten smell. It was the AC system. They had to replace the filter, and they used a cleaning spray to clean the condenser in the car. It gets funky. That made it better. Perhaps that's what's happening to you. It was prob about a $300 service.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
I will say I've never had to have this kind of service on any AC system in any car I've owned before. Several Bimmers. This was another one of the many issues we've had that was unique to our MX. lol.
I’ve never had to clean the coil in any of mine either, but having worked in refrigeration long ago, cleaning condenser and evap coils is standard maintenance. High head pressure was the usual indicator.
I’ve never seen a diagram of the X’s airflow, I don’t know how a dirty condenser could stink up the interior.
Something in the evap coil would, not sure what could sneak in there other than dust though.
good luck!

Same. We bought our MX and are going to replace it with an X5 next summer. I have never taken a vehicle to service so many times. In fact, we have mobile service tomorrow because one of the running lights is out. 🤦‍♂️
Yeah. I had an MS before and an MX now for almost 3 years. Not re-ordering, because I've had a lot of issues with the MX and the service department in Salt Lake City is a joke. I have a Rivian R1S coming next year. Ready to try something new.
That’s a shame your Xs had issues I’m just approaching 100k miles on my first X that is used as a work vehicle towing daily and have literally no issues with it.. it’s been an absolute beast

Reactions: henderrj
The running list on mine:

- Chrome trim peeling at delivery, and was fixed.
- Driver electric door motor died and was replaced.
- Driver/Passenger windows serviced about 4 times each because they stick and won't roll up.
- Passenger door has/had something lose in it so when you close it, something inside knocks around. They have never been able to fix this.
- Plastic trim on the bumper started falling off, fixed.
- AC issues already mentioned.
- Battery coolant valve died, had to be replaced.
- After battery service, car died while driving and could not be restarted after service. That required a flatbed to a Tesla service station. Tesla service told us we put the car into Park while driving (we did not), then said firmware fix would prevent this (ok).
- Daytime running light out now, service coming today.
- Gap growing/calibration problem with driver falcon door. They are making us pay for that one.

I will give that the MX's motors and battery system have so far been flawless. But otherwise, this is the most high maintenance car I've ever owned. It's had service every ~90 days for the past 3 years.

It also seems that it's luck of the draw based on when/how/who assembled these things.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
My wife drove the MX to a rural location about a month ago. When she came back to the vehicle and got in (after being gone for about 5 hours), it smelled horrible. Hard to describe, but it was somewhere between rotten food and a dead animal. Yet there was no food in the MX, and even if a small animal could have entered the vehicle somehow (doors were closed), and then died, it seems like that would be too short of a time frame for the smell to get that bad.
Two questions:
  1. Any ideas for what could have caused this and how it might have happened?
  2. Any thoughts on how to address the lingering smell?
Small animals can easily get in the car, particularly under the frunk. I found a chipmunk nest under the hood when Tesla replaced the 12v battery on my 2018. None of them died in there in my case, but they certainly could have. They also can chew trough the cabin filter housing and get in the cabin. Again, not in my case, but a definite possibility, especially if you park outside.

Reactions: jboy210
Small animals can easily get in the car, particularly under the frunk. I found a chipmunk nest under the hood when Tesla replaced the 12v battery on my 2018. None of them died in there in my case, but they certainly could have. They also can chew trough the cabin filter housing and get in the cabin. Again, not in my case, but a definite possibility, especially if you park outside.
Oh, my. I had checked the frunk before, but not thoroughly. I just looked again, and we did find some kind of next in there. Not sure from what animal, and there's no animal in there now, but mystery solved.

Reactions: Genie
Update on the smell issue. We think a mouse made a nest in the frunk, and then we found it dead underneath the MX. But we can't seem to get rid of the smell completely. Tesla mobile service replaced the air filter because I thought that might help, but I didn't notice a difference. It's way better than it was before, but it's still noticeable every time we get into the car. We've tried air freshener and Nature's Miracle, which is a spray we use to get rid of pee odor if our puppy pees on the floor. None of that seems to help.

Any other ideas?

Update on the smell issue. We think a mouse made a nest in the frunk, and then we found it dead underneath the MX. But we can't seem to get rid of the smell completely. Tesla mobile service replaced the air filter because I thought that might help, but I didn't notice a difference. It's way better than it was before, but it's still noticeable every time we get into the car. We've tried air freshener and Nature's Miracle, which is a spray we use to get rid of pee odor if our puppy pees on the floor. None of that seems to help.

Any other ideas?

Odor eliminator. You set this thing off like a bug bomb in the car - just follow the directions on the can. Works really well.

Good luck!! So sorry this happened, but unfortunately it *does* happen. My MIL’s Hyundai has needed its engine wire harness repaired twice now because of animal damage.

Meguiar's Whole Car Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator Mist, New Car Scent, 2 Fluid Ounces https://a.co/d/cCysCYQ

Odor eliminator. You set this thing off like a bug bomb in the car - just follow the directions on the can. Works really well.

Good luck!! So sorry this happened, but unfortunately it *does* happen. My MIL’s Hyundai has needed its engine wire harness repaired twice now because of animal damage.

Meguiar's Whole Car Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator Mist, New Car Scent, 2 Fluid Ounces https://a.co/d/cCysCYQ

Thanks! Just ordered a 3-pack. Fingers crossed.

Thanks! Just ordered a 3-pack. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for ya here too! Please report back when you can. I used these on my Model 3 and it helped a bunch. I didn’t have a “bad” smell but just that “the car’s clearly not new anymore” funk going on. One of these and it was back to freshness. Can’t find the right words but hopefully you know what I mean.

This is very clever. Just don’t spray on seats or dash -

Reactions: dmurphy
Hi @badlydrawnboy ,

My experience - main wire harness chewed and replaced
and coolant hoses chewed and leaking at the REAR drive unit...

I would add a few suggestions...

I would have Telsa, Tesla Mobile Service, or you and friends:
Drop the aero panels under the car...

If mother mouse died outside of the nest - the babies will crawl
away (deeper into the car) and die.
You may find some surprises under the panels...

Another suggestion: Remove the trailer hitch plastic cover...
It's the sheet of plastic about the size of a license plate.
Smell in that opening. It will give a clue whether the animal
is outside of the car but inside the aero panels.

Good luck,

Shawn