Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MY Dilemma. Advise please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. I am pretty confident that I want the Long Range Model Y AWD. I test drove the Model 3 and Y. I think I liked the Model 3 a little better for sportiness and looks but it was pretty even overall. I really need the practicality of the rear hatch and overall spaciousness as this vehicle would be replacing a 2011 Toyota RAV-4. I want the Multicoat Red (I would regret it if I didn’t choose it because of $2000), the stock wheels and black interior. No FSD. My dilemma is that I really could wait until late 2020 or even early 2021. NJ is currently offering a $5000 rebate but the funding has been cut in half and I am not sure how long it will last. Also lots of uncertainty on the federal level. Currently there are no federal tax credits or incentives for Tesla. That could change depending on the November election. That’s a BIG if and not really a huge factor in my decision. This would be the single most expensive thing I’ve ever purchased besides my house and I need to figure out the best way to secure the funding I need to finalize the purchase. I see the MY AWD currently has a 7-11 week turnaround and not sure if that will get worse or better. I know this is a lot to read. Here are some questions for the group.

1. Is RWD even something to be considered if I live in the Northeast US where we get significant cold and snow? I know there’s a rumour of Tesla releasing a Long Range RWD MY soon.
2. Opinion on the 19” stock Gemini wheels vs the 20” Induction wheels again considering I live in NJ and don’t want to change tires in the winter.
3. If I put down my $100 non refundable deposit how easy is it to change my order should the RWD LR MY be announced or I decide to change wheels or interior etc.
4. How easy is it to defer delivery if I’m not quite ready for it when Tesla tells me it’s they’ve found a match and how many times can one defer or delay delivery?
5. Does anyone in NJ have any real world experience getting the $5000 rebate?

Thanks for your advise and help.

• Informative
Reactions: Aye_itscarmen
Ok. I am pretty confident that I want the Long Range Model Y AWD. I test drove the Model 3 and Y. I think I liked the Model 3 a little better for sportiness and looks but it was pretty even overall. I really need the practicality of the rear hatch and overall spaciousness as this vehicle would be replacing a 2011 Toyota RAV-4. I want the Multicoat Red (I would regret it if I didn’t choose it because of $2000), the stock wheels and black interior. No FSD. My dilemma is that I really could wait until late 2020 or even early 2021. NJ is currently offering a $5000 rebate but the funding has been cut in half and I am not sure how long it will last. Also lots of uncertainty on the federal level. Currently there are no federal tax credits or incentives for Tesla. That could change depending on the November election. That’s a BIG if and not really a huge factor in my decision. This would be the single most expensive thing I’ve ever purchased besides my house and I need to figure out the best way to secure the funding I need to finalize the purchase. I see the MY AWD currently has a 7-11 week turnaround and not sure if that will get worse or better. I know this is a lot to read. Here are some questions for the group.

1. Is RWD even something to be considered if I live in the Northeast US where we get significant cold and snow? I know there’s a rumour of Tesla releasing a Long Range RWD MY soon.
2. Opinion on the 19” stock Gemini wheels vs the 20” Induction wheels again considering I live in NJ and don’t want to change tires in the winter.
3. If I put down my $100 non refundable deposit how easy is it to change my order should the RWD LR MY be announced or I decide to change wheels or interior etc.
4. How easy is it to defer delivery if I’m not quite ready for it when Tesla tells me it’s they’ve found a match and how many times can one defer or delay delivery?

Pass on RWD. Especially if you live in the northeast.

Get the stock 19’s if price is a concern. You can always upgrade the wheels later.

You will not get your $100 back but you could roll it over to a new order.

You can defer delivery all you want. Tesla can not force you to buy a vehicle.

Reactions: Reborn
I live in Nebraska and just took delivery of a long range MY...having driven a subaru with AWD in the cold and snow here, I wouldn't go back from AWD if I didn't absolutely have to.

I have 19"s on mine and I would still describe the ride as a touch harsh...nothing bad, but not silky smooth either.

OP if this helps you make a decision regarding NJ's rebate. I emailed them. Surprisingly very quick to respond. This was in August. I was planning on getting a my Y in November. But if the rebate runs out, I rather get it now. It's a big chunk of change.

"I can confirm that we are actively accepting and processing application, as well as issuing checks. The funding was reduced for the last fiscal quarter. The program will continue for 10 years as it is written into legislation. However, I cannot completely confirm that in two months' time things will not change in some aspect, whether it be the length of the process, amount of funding left or other unforeseen changes."

They also told me the NJs fiscal year ends September. Nobody knows if this means its done for this year soon, and will renew next year again? I just submitted my application and they accepted it. I hope I get it.

Email from 2 days ago:
"Thank you for your email and for this update. I can confirm that we are actively accepting and processing applications at this time. For any updates on funding and changes to the program contact New Jersey’s Board of Public Utilities Board of Public Utilities | About BPU or check their page for updates and press releases as they become available, Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices.

If your application is approved, you will receive the incentive in the form of a check via USPS. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. "

I am dealing a bit of the same issue myself. I'm not thrilled to get my model y yet due to uncertainty with the business I work in. I'd love to see how things play out in the next few months with the pandemic but...the $5k rebate is a concern despite what my wife says and I think nj along with a lot of other states will have budget shortfalls and could be issues with this getting renewed. I doubt if I order today Im gonna get it before the nj fiscal year ends but who knows. They may renew for next year just with limited funding and punt the can down the road. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and if they axe the $5k rebate before my model y is ready is just keep pushing off tesla with my $100 deposit for potentially a year until I feel more financially comfortable to buy.

Pass on RWD. Especially if you live in the northeast.

Get the stock 19’s if price is a concern. You can always upgrade the wheels later.

You will not get your $100 back but you could roll it over to a new order.

You can defer delivery all you want. Tesla can not force you to buy a vehicle.
Interesting. I was told I could not roll my $100 order fee over into a new order and was charged another $100 order fee when I placed an order for a Model Y.

1. For your location, go with AWD without hesitation. You'll appreciate the extra power during summer time as well :)
2. Go with 19" just because of the cold climate you live in. I have to do the same because well - Alaska. It comes down to choosing functionality over aesthetics. Save the $2000 and get another aftermarket set so you have two sets of tires instead of just one if you really want to.
3. You should be able to change order details if they haven't yet assigned a VIN to you, contact your Sales Advisor and let them know you want to change, they usually are very accommodating, you shouldn't have to pay another order fee unless you cancel the entire order.
4. Once you order, you will get assigned to a Sales Advisor, email them and let them know you want to defer the delivery to Nov/Dec etc.. I did it and it took one email and they confirmed it.
5. Rebates are easily removed but very hard to get new ones, I would say try to order as soon as you financially can so you don't risk it.

Let me know if I missed anything.

1. AWD
2. 19"
3. If you keep the order alive, the $100 stays
4. Sure, you can push it out all you want
5. The feds are not going to give you the rebate again. Get the NJ one while you still can. Don't drop the best rebate in the country for one that "might" return. (most likely not)

Agree with everyone else on getting the AWD since you live in NJ.

I'm from northern NJ and remember when I had a rear wheel drive sports car...the winters were literally impossible for me. I used to start sweating when snow flakes were falling and hoping it wouldn't accumulate more than 1/2 an inch. lol

Well I pulled the pin and ordered the Long Range Model Y AWD in Red with the stock 19” Gemini Wheels. I’m a little nauseous to be honest because it’s such a luxurious expense. I’m financing $25,000 Over 72 months and applied through Tesla. We will see if they give me a good enough rate. If not I will shop around. I’m very excited overall and am a little worried about the fit and finish issues that seem to be the norm, I’m determined NOT to accept a vehicle if it isn’t close to perfect and wait. We have 2 other older vehicles that are paid off so no rush to do this if it isn’t a great vehicle in great shape with no glaring serious issues. Also am interested to see what battery day brings. I dint think there will be any major Model Y news but you never know if and when Elon is going to tweak things a bit. Thanks to everyone who responded. Now keep me from throwing myself off the ledge and cancelling when I wake up in a panic over spending $52,000 on a new car. That’s double what my parents bought their first home for in 1972. You guys were awesome for taking time to help me make the right decision. Now I need to immerse myself and learn as much as I can before I get my MY which is supposedly 7-11 weeks out. I need to learn the things I should buy to make the car better, like all weather floor mats, a center console wrap to get rid of the fingerprint and scratch magnet piano black. I have a level 2 charger already that I had for my Prius Prime that I bought knowing I would one day get a Tesla and need the extra charging ability. Any other recommendations as to what I might want or need?

You made a great choice! Especially, if you’re someone who keeps their car for a long time.

As for build quality, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just know what to look for so you’re ready at delivery day (that’s what I’ve been doing). I’ve seen a couple with low VINs (< 20xxx) and they weren’t bad. Perhaps, the owners had panel gaps fixed but I think a majority of buyers aren’t inspecting their cars that much nor do they notice.

Finance rates I’ve seen are 2.49% from Tesla for 5 year loan. Could be slightly higher for 6 years. Lowest I’ve seen is 2.19%.

1. For your location, go with AWD without hesitation. You'll appreciate the extra power during summer time as well :)
2. Go with 19" just because of the cold climate you live in. I have to do the same because well - Alaska. It comes down to choosing functionality over aesthetics. Save the $2000 and get another aftermarket set so you have two sets of tires instead of just one if you really want to.
3. You should be able to change order details if they haven't yet assigned a VIN to you, contact your Sales Advisor and let them know you want to change, they usually are very accommodating, you shouldn't have to pay another order fee unless you cancel the entire order.
4. Once you order, you will get assigned to a Sales Advisor, email them and let them know you want to defer the delivery to Nov/Dec etc.. I did it and it took one email and they confirmed it.
5. Rebates are easily removed but very hard to get new ones, I would say try to order as soon as you financially can so you don't risk it.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Perfectly written! I was gonna write the same!

Well I pulled the pin and ordered the Long Range Model Y AWD in Red with the stock 19” Gemini Wheels. I’m a little nauseous to be honest because it’s such a luxurious expense. I’m financing $25,000 Over 72 months and applied through Tesla. We will see if they give me a good enough rate. If not I will shop around. I’m very excited overall and am a little worried about the fit and finish issues that seem to be the norm, I’m determined NOT to accept a vehicle if it isn’t close to perfect and wait. We have 2 other older vehicles that are paid off so no rush to do this if it isn’t a great vehicle in great shape with no glaring serious issues. Also am interested to see what battery day brings. I dint think there will be any major Model Y news but you never know if and when Elon is going to tweak things a bit. Thanks to everyone who responded. Now keep me from throwing myself off the ledge and cancelling when I wake up in a panic over spending $52,000 on a new car. That’s double what my parents bought their first home for in 1972. You guys were awesome for taking time to help me make the right decision. Now I need to immerse myself and learn as much as I can before I get my MY which is supposedly 7-11 weeks out. I need to learn the things I should buy to make the car better, like all weather floor mats, a center console wrap to get rid of the fingerprint and scratch magnet piano black. I have a level 2 charger already that I had for my Prius Prime that I bought knowing I would one day get a Tesla and need the extra charging ability. Any other recommendations as to what I might want or need?

You’ve gotten great advice on this forum. Now all I can tell you is to breathe and don’t let anxiety take over. I’m actually glad I didn’t know about this forum when I bought my 3. I didn’t check for any issues and didn’t have any. I was just glad to have an awesome car that kept improving over time. Know that most people that own a Tesla are not here and most positive reviews will not be documented either.

It’s great to have a community where you can exchange ideas and tips but just breathe, relax and enjoy the car....and don’t fret on when your vin arrive compared to someone else and all that crap. Your car will arrive and you’ll get your rebate - see? That’s positive thinking.

I totalled my 3 in December ...couldn’t get a new one right away because they closed the factory. All of a sudden, I got a text that I had a delivery in January, even though I was told it’ll be in March. I got there and there was no car. I was pissed but glad now that I didn’t buy it because 1) they started producing the Y 2) The Y price reduced and 3) 5k NJ rebate. I ended up saving 8k and buying a better car for me. Patience and positive thinking!

Congrats!!! It is nerve wrecking at first but all of that will disappear in a second as soon as you get a glimpse of your new Tesla. It is worth every penny if you have the financial capability to get it. If you want to protect your investment as much as possible, look at getting good quality All Weather Mats, 3D Maxpider have been fantastic (used it on our Model 3) and ordered ones from Autoanything.com for the Model Y.
Get a screen protector and look into ceramic coating the car, I ordered the Armor X ceramic coating for Exterior and Interior - Yes, I will ceramic coat the vegan leather as well :). Ceramic coating is a fairy easy application process, the only part that needs hard work is prepping the car. It will save you around $1000 doing it yourself though..

I also purchased aftermarket performance pedal and brake covers, they really help during winter time and they look very nice, around $25 for a pair I believe.

I also purchased aftermarket performance pedal and brake covers, they really help during winter time and they look very nice, around $25 for a pair I believe.

Was it a pain to install? I read one review saying the accelerator just slips over the existing pedal but the brake pad needs to be pulled off? I was hoping the brake pedal would just slip on over the existing pad.

Was it a pain to install? I read one review saying the accelerator just slips over the existing pedal but the brake pad needs to be pulled off? I was hoping the brake pedal would just slip on over the existing pad.
To be honest with you, I have little patience. I was able to install the "easier" one and then I asked my wife to take over before I break the pedal xD but she got it done!

• Funny
Reactions: Koolio46