Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MY had the unbearable deep buffeting that the MS had (and likely solution)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
So driving to work for the first time in my new MY I was really bothered by a loud very low frequency noise. Someone on an old MS thread described it like strumming your fingers on a big base drum with your head inside.

I think it's mostly, if not entirely fixed now. The trick is to put soapy water on the four rubber stops on the hatch lid (water without soap doesn't coat the rubber). Close and open the hatch and look for four nice round water circles where the stops hit. Adjust each by unscrewing them until they each leave uniform circles. If you unscrew the back ones too far, the hatch will close, but not latch.

Note that you tighten the big plastic hex nut on the front stops after adjusting; just dont turn the center with the nut.

My MY sounded so much better after doing this on a quick trip tonight, but I need to test some more to be certain.

If you have any issues with the hatch, check out the MS threads and you'll likely find many years of Tesla hatch experience to draw from.