Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY: Need strong force to close the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the opposite problem: The doors on my Model Y feel like they are spring loaded and "auto-close". If I don't leave the door open in one of the 2 detent positions, the door will quickly close with enough force that it closes completely. This was a big surprise, especially since my previous Model 3 would not "auto-close". This behavior is pretty useful: when getting in the car, I open the door to one of the detent positions; when inside, I just give the door a little nudge and is closes completely on its own.

New door seals take some time conforming to the door/window. The need for "slamming" the door should change with use.

My driver's side door latched too easily. When closed, I could press on the door and make it shift slightly. I adjusted the door strike (light grey, on the door frame) inward a very small amount (1/64"), and the door is now snug. (This might have eliminated some road noise, if the door was jiggling driving down the road)

Curious: ALL of the door strike bolts (2 on each door) weren't nearly as tight as I've experienced in other cars: VAG, Honda, Ford, Toyota, Cadillac. I snugged each one down about a 1/16" turn.

(I also created a thread about wheel lug nugs: they were <70 lb/ft, should have been 129 lb./ft. This seems rather serious to me, but my SC didn't seem very concerned.)

Keep an eye on the door alignment on the front and trailing end after they adjust it. Mine closed fine but the door was not aligned correctly when compared to rear doors. They were able to adjust the center line gap at the sacrifice of lower rocker panel alignment but now the door takes alot more force to close.

I have a similar issue. All doors close easily except the drivers door. I’ve had to slam it since day one. Over time it’s gotten slightly better but it still needs much more force to close than the other three doors. I was also “giving it time” to break in, but I’ve had it going on three months now, so it’s probably time to get it fixed.

I just had a mobile service (to fix driver side mirror not opening far enough), and I asked the serviceman about the doors needed to be slammed. He said the same thing about the seals taking some time to mold themselves to the doors, and to report the issues after at least 6 months.