Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My neighbors keep opening my charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong. They will still open
Well yes and no... it doesn't always open... because I have tried to open the charge port of cars who the owner either forgot to plug in or finished but chose to parked in the spot... but I'd like to assume they forgot

I tried both Wall Connectors and Superchargers... I find that most of the time it doesn't open and only a few occasions that it does... but I plug it in for them if it opens... so they dont come back and find their car didn't get charged... and if they are already full and still parked in a supercharger... I am sure they will come back quickly

Well yes and no... it doesn't always open... because I have tried to open the charge port of cars who the owner either forgot to plug in or finished but chose to parked in the spot... but I'd like to assume they forgot

I tried both Wall Connectors and Superchargers... I find that most of the time it doesn't open and only a few occasions that it does... but I plug it in for them if it opens... so they dont come back and find their car didn't get charged... and if they are already full and still parked in a supercharger... I am sure they will come back quickly

It always opens. Only difference is if the car is locked, you have to hit the button twice.

Reactions: croman
Wrong. They will still open

If the charge port opens simply by pressing the button on the charging handle, without the phone key being in range (or the car being in an unlocked state), then it's not working as designed.

But I wouldn't be concerned with rain getting into the charge port and causing problems (at least as long as it's not an e-Tron).

Well I'm in Sf and I park in front of my driveway, my neighbors have chargers towards the front of their garages.

It's the first year model s so it won't close by itself, but I guess my model 3 has been closing automatically. Good to know about the rain thank you.

I wish there was an option to only open port with key near it. My key is very far away so no way it senses it.

I know for a fact the key doesn't have to be close because I often charge my own car without it when my key is in the back of the house. I double.tap.button

If the charge port opens simply by pressing the button on the charging handle, without the phone key being in range (or the car being in an unlocked state), then it's not working as designed.

But I wouldn't be concerned with rain getting into the charge port and causing problems (at least as long as it's not an e-Tron).
Sure it is working as designed. The car has no idea if its going to be charged and it will open whether or not you actually plug it in. Press the button on the charging handle and it will open the charging port

Reactions: PrGrPa
It has worked this way for all of the Tesla's I've every driven, including 4 Model S I've owned. I actually use this feature almost every day when I or my son plug in my wife's car every evening, it would suck to have to go look for the key each time. It is the behavior Tesla designed.

Last edited:
Not that this has anything to do with this case (no one around) but there is some tie-in with car occupancy. At least for the 3’s. When my GF gets home I often plug in her car while she is getting her things together in the car after she puts it in Park, and the charger port will not open from the wand until she gets out of the car. For weeks I thought it was broken or sticky since it would open if I pushed/tapped on it.

The button on the HPWC only works for me if no one is in the driver’s seat. So, is this expected behavior? I can see the programming, since if you are in the car, why do you want your port popping open.

When we used to have insufficient Tesla WCs at my work vs. Tesla spots, if you pushed a WC button, pretty much all the S in the area will open their charging doors, even those in another aisle across from them, which don't have Tesla WCs. Was quite funny. I think most or all of the S had charging doors that would self-close, eventually.

Unfortunately, the IIRC, the X didn't have this behavior, so we couldn't plug in a waiting X. I think w/the 3, you could do it if you woke the car by pulling a door handle, then pushing the WC's button repeatedly until the 3's charging door opened.

This is all without having a fob or phone registered with any of the vehicles nearby. (I have no Tesla.)

This is all moot now. At work, there are now an equal # of Tesla spaces as there are Tesla WCs

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: David29 and PrGrPa