Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] My never ending list of issues with my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Custom order Model S 75, delivered 9/25/17. My list of issues so far...
  • 9/25 - Bought the car and delivered without the adaptive headlights. I don't even want to comment about my mediocre delivery experience, but giving them the benefit of EOQ delivery rush.
  • 9/26 - Trunk stops closing automatically and issues with wheel alignment
  • 9/26 - Drop off the car for repair at the Palo Alto SC
  • 9/27 - Got the car back with alignment done and trunk issue resolved.
  • 10/6 - GPS location got stuck in a 25 mph speed limit zone limiting my use of TACC and AP. Fixes itself after few hours.
  • 10/10 and 10/12 - AP/TACC abruptly decides to disable itself with "Cruise not available" message. Tesla support investigating the logs, no updates on the issue so far.
  • 10/13 - Dropped off the car to get adaptive headlights replaced. The SC was supposed to call me when the parts were in stock, but no one called me. I randomly called for a follow up and they told me that the parts are here.
  • 10/14 - Picked up the car with a bad job done with the headlights. Right headlight is cracked and glue applied to fix it. Left headlight bleeds light. The feature isn't even enabled and SC couldn't enable it. Tesla will replace headlights again.
  • 10/18 - One of the rear door handles get stuck and does not retract.
Reconsidering if I should ever take this car on long trips, especially the one we planned to Canada next month.

Some images/videos showing the issues: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwvFuBbu5SzI7svQ2

*Addendum per member request:
While I have been bit by some of the quality issues with initial production, I'd like to point out that I am extremely impressed with their willingness to help and get things right. The Palo Alto SC manager reached out to me directly to make sure that all my concerns are addressed to my satisfaction. He drove to my work himself with someone from the ERT team to help get my adaptive headlights working and a mobile unit will come tomorrow to my work to get my door handle issue resolved as well. I can live with some of these issues every once in a while given their great customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess when cars leave the assembly line, they can technically be called "assembled", ... just maybe not quite ready for full service in prime time.

Maybe it was one of the thousand dudes just fired that put the finishing touches on yours?

We're users of so-called (but falsely called) "beta" software... may as well consider us the QA testers for how well the line assembled the car.

Feedback appreciated!

Reconsidering if I should ever take this car on long trips, especially the one we planned to Canada next month.

I've had several issues over 4.5 years, 100k miles and as an early adopter expected such. The issues you mention such as automatic trunk closure, TACC not available etc are certainly annoying especially since Tesla has now had ample opportunity to work the kinks out (door handles!). That said, my Model S has never left me stranded. The core functions of the vehicle (driving from point A to B) have always worked flawlessly. Even a complete MCU/touchscreen failure on a road trip this summer left the car still performing it's most important functions (acceleration, braking, steering) unfazed. I know some have had true failures of the main battery pack, 12v battery or drive unit (not just annoying drive unit noise, actual failure) that left them on the side of the road. Those problems, while more serious in terms of a failure seem to be much less common than the annoying ones.

Reactions: ishareit and BerTX
While I have been bit by some of the quality issues with initial production, I'd like to point out that I am extremely impressed with their willingness to help and get things right. The Palo Alto SC manager reached out to me directly to make sure that all my concerns are addressed to my satisfaction. He drove to my work himself with someone from the ERT team to help get my adaptive headlights working and a mobile unit will come tomorrow to my work to get my door handle issue resolved as well. I can live with some of these issues every once in a while given their great customer service.

Mods - my original post expresses a lot of negativity towards Tesla and my car. If possible, can you please edit my original post and add the above paragraph to fix it?

I have had similar issues with a new 2017 S90D. From the factory several things needed addressing days from delivery. Tesla quality control is being offloaded on swamped service centers. Yes they are doing their best and we appreciate that. Frankly the car should never leave the factory with such glaring quality issues. If all these little things are wrong with the cars that we can see makes me wonder what other corners were cut with safety components and features.

Reactions: cwerdna
I've had several issues over 4.5 years, 100k miles and as an early adopter expected such. The issues you mention such as automatic trunk closure, TACC not available etc are certainly annoying especially since Tesla has now had ample opportunity to work the kinks out (door handles!). That said, my Model S has never left me stranded. The core functions of the vehicle (driving from point A to B) have always worked flawlessly. Even a complete MCU/touchscreen failure on a road trip this summer left the car still performing it's most important functions (acceleration, braking, steering) unfazed. I know some have had true failures of the main battery pack, 12v battery or drive unit (not just annoying drive unit noise, actual failure) that left them on the side of the road. Those problems, while more serious in terms of a failure seem to be much less common than the annoying ones.

Is this considered noteworthy and/or praise for a vehicle?

Even a complete MCU/touchscreen failure on a road trip this summer left the car still performing it's most important functions (acceleration, braking, steering) unfazed. I know some have had true failures of the main battery pack, 12v battery or drive unit (not just annoying drive unit noise, actual failure) that left them on the side of the road. Those problems, while more serious in terms of a failure seem to be much less common than the annoying ones.
That's because it was summer and you have pre-AP car. In a winter you cannot turn on heat which is more than annoying if you you have to drive with your head out the sunroof because the windshield fogged up and/or froze. You also cannot turn on headlight other than hope that automatic headlights work, which were not even available on AP2 cars last winter, and today they work better or worse depending on which version of software you have - actually I don't even know whether it works if the MCU is not working (completely different light sensing than your car). The more functionality Tesla offloads to the MCU, the more crippled it becomes when it fails.

Tesla has always relied on the service centers to fix the factory failures. It has generally worked so far as the total numbers of MS/MXs was relatively low. We are currently waiting for a new drivers side door handle that has failed for the second time. Dania beach does not have one in stock (one week so far).

I have had similar issues with a new 2017 S90D. From the factory several things needed addressing days from delivery. Tesla quality control is being offloaded on swamped service centers. Yes they are doing their best and we appreciate that. Frankly the car should never leave the factory with such glaring quality issues. If all these little things are wrong with the cars that we can see makes me wonder what other corners were cut with safety components and features.
this low level of QC at the factory level is not a new phenomenon.
they let too many cars out the door of the factory with many flaws, I assume just to keep the line moving and as you say the overworked SC guys are saddled fixing these flaws.

Today marks 1 month of ownership for myself and my MS100d with 2,427mi on the odometer. Based on my continued reading on this forum, I do feel rather fortunate to have had zero issues. As this is the first $$$,$$$.$$ car I have ever purchased new, I really don't have a reference point with respect to customer service from service centers. Lord knows, it is a RPITA to spend bookoo dollars on a car with problems, but if the SC continues to address the problems AND provide you a loaner...I hope they will really get things straight for you.

Because, I have already cross the threshold of never wanting to drive and ICE again; good luck!

Custom order Model S 75, delivered 9/25/17. My list of issues so far...
  • 9/25 - Bought the car and delivered without the adaptive headlights. I don't even want to comment about my mediocre delivery experience, but giving them the benefit of EOQ delivery rush.
  • 9/26 - Trunk stops closing automatically and issues with wheel alignment
  • 9/26 - Drop off the car for repair at the Palo Alto SC
  • 9/27 - Got the car back with alignment done and trunk issue resolved.
  • 10/6 - GPS location got stuck in a 25 mph speed limit zone limiting my use of TACC and AP. Fixes itself after few hours.
  • 10/10 and 10/12 - AP/TACC abruptly decides to disable itself with "Cruise not available" message. Tesla support investigating the logs, no updates on the issue so far.
  • 10/18 - One of the rear door handles get stuck and does not retract.

Your problems seem almost identical to some of my problems.

1. Delivery Experience - poor is an understatement
2. Trunk alignment issues
3. wheel alignment issues
4. GPS stuck (twice)
5. sensors offline (no TACC, AEB, ParkAssist, EAP etc etc etc) twice
6. Front Passenger door handle doesn't retract after being used
7. This is the big one.... Parking Brake

According to the Toronto Service Centre, any S built after Aug 19, has AP 2.5 Hardware. There is a bug in the software/firmware and it has issues with modules/sensors not coming online or dropping after being detected. My 75D (accepted on Oct 3rd) is now in the shop indefinitely until it gets patched.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Bebop

Temporary workaround:
chock.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Your problems seem almost identical to some of my problems.

1. Delivery Experience - poor is an understatement
2. Trunk alignment issues
3. wheel alignment issues
4. GPS stuck (twice)
5. sensors offline (no TACC, AEB, ParkAssist, EAP etc etc etc) twice
6. Front Passenger door handle doesn't retract after being used

According to the Toronto Service Centre, any S built after Aug 19, has AP 2.5 Hardware. There is a bug in the software/firmware and it has issues with modules/sensors not coming online or dropping after being detected. My 75D (accepted on Oct 3rd) is now in the shop indefinitely until it gets patched.

Sorry to hear that.