Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new 2021 Model Y just rear-ended pretty bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know about filing diminished value claim incase the vehicle is not a total loss? Iā€™m thinking of getting an attorney. Does that seem like a good idea since Iā€™m pretty new to all of this?
Yes. Get an attorney for diminished value and loss of use. It's easy and worth it and will net you thousands. You can talk to an attorney before the car is fixed, but you can't pursue the actual claim until repairs are complete.

Reactions: codergamer
My 2021 Tesla Model Y got rear ended pretty bad by a Chevy Silverado. The trunk and bumper are completely damaged and the trunk wonā€™t even close. The other person was at fault and I have the footage from all the cams saved as well. The other person shared their insurance for filing the claim.

I have Tesla Insurance and have filed the claim. I was told that I will get a call from the adjuster within 24-48 hours.

This is the first time that I got in an accident, can anyone help me understand with what will happen next? Will I be charged for anything?
How long does Tesla Insurance and Tesla Service Center take in general? Does Tesla Service center provide a loaner vehicle?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
My model Y was rear ended last August, after having it for about 4 months. Iā€™m in GA and used a Tesla approved repair shop. I used the responsible partyā€™s insurance (not Tesla) and it took about 2 weeks to get the repair approved and another 5 weeks for the repair shop to get the parts from Tesla. All in all, my car was gone for about 2 months. My damage sounds like it was much less than yours, requiring only the rear hatch shell and spoiler to be replaced along with all related drama to that...still almost $7k.

My model Y was rear ended last August, after having it for about 4 months. Iā€™m in GA and used a Tesla approved repair shop. I used the responsible partyā€™s insurance (not Tesla) and it took about 2 weeks to get the repair approved and another 5 weeks for the repair shop to get the parts from Tesla. All in all, my car was gone for about 2 months. My damage sounds like it was much less than yours, requiring only the rear hatch shell and spoiler to be replaced along with all related drama to that...still almost $7k.
Thanks for providing the details. I have added the photos as well. Was your damage similar or less or more?
Also, did you get a loaner vehicle while your car was being repaired?

Attachments

• D9C2BFD1-8E5A-41A4-AC65-941FBEC31600.jpeg
    D9C2BFD1-8E5A-41A4-AC65-941FBEC31600.jpeg
    943.1 KB · Views: 883
  • 52E39C3C-CC53-438F-B02E-346E218227D1.jpeg
    52E39C3C-CC53-438F-B02E-346E218227D1.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 233
Here are the photos of the rear lift gate damage. The damage is limited to the rear bumper and lift gate.
The damaged part is not only the rear plastic bumper, but certainly also the rear horizontal metal beam and also the rear panel.

And who know if any side quarter panel and wheelhouse and so on... get damaged.

The body shop will need to remove all the parts to make a complete estimate.

opening the rear had you can see under the bumper that the black metal is a bit bent.
I am thinking new/repair hatch, new bumper, and either repair rear casting or replacement? Sucks not even having car for 2 months and this happening...Still waiting on an appointment to get looked at since Tesla service so hard to get a hold of, even for insurance companies....

opening the rear had you can see under the bumper that the black metal is a bit bent.
I am thinking new/repair hatch, new bumper, and either repair rear casting or replacement? Sucks not even having car for 2 months and this happening...Still waiting on an appointment to get looked at since Tesla service so hard to get a hold of, even for insurance companies....
I totally get it. I even had a ceramic coating done to my car a day prior and then this rear end collision happened. Some things are not in our control. Iā€™m just glad that everyone is safe.

Reactions: DanDi58
No, I was not told anything of that sort. Talk to your insurance company and let them take care of everything and then they can bill it to the at-fault insurance. You may have to pay deductible now but it will be reimbursed later.
Yeah thats what I normally do, was interesting they mentioned it several times.. They also wouldn't do an estimate, i have to get estimate from outside....Would have gotten Tesla Insurance if I didn't have the Prius Prime too.