Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new baby - practical as a minivan on maiden Sams run!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After over a month of upgrades from Carl (more on that to follow), weeks of transport, and months before that of shopping I finally had my 2008 #314 1.5 Roadster delivered a couple weeks ago behind Sam's Club

IMG_20200221_113446_1.jpg

So while at Sams might as well stock up!

Went home first and popped the top and put my standard stuff in the trunk.

So I pulled around to the front and went shopping (not thinking about how much I was buying in the mega carts they have)

IMG_20200223_140543.jpg

I am starting to draw a crowd at this point of curious onlookers.

How could this all possibly fit?

Especially since I had the trunk 50% full

IMG_20200223_140619_1.jpg

People were laughing and I am pretty sure there were bets / money changing hands in the parking lot.

Well - I am here to tell you - I could have purchased even more (like maybe 1 paperback book of 200 pages or less - but still that is more).

Here is how it all fit

Packed in the footwell too with the paper towels riding shotgun (nice arm rest btw)

IMG_20200223_140956_1.jpg

As for the trunk had to tie off top of each bag and place them in sideways to fit.

Took about 3 tries before the trunk would close right.

IMG_20200223_141002.jpg

So there!

I have much more to post about the journey and trials/tribulations (getting it polished and ceramic coated all week / right now) and need to post on all the mods I learned about and setup but in case you are trying to sell a Roadster as a practical car - your buddy Nick has you covered in pictures!

:)

After over a month of upgrades from Carl (more on that to follow), weeks of transport, and months before that of shopping I finally had my 2008 #314 1.5 Roadster delivered a couple weeks ago behind Sam's Club

View attachment 518865

So while at Sams might as well stock up!

Went home first and popped the top and put my standard stuff in the trunk.

So I pulled around to the front and went shopping (not thinking about how much I was buying in the mega carts they have)

View attachment 518866

I am starting to draw a crowd at this point of curious onlookers.

How could this all possibly fit?

Especially since I had the trunk 50% full

View attachment 518867

People were laughing and I am pretty sure there were bets / money changing hands in the parking lot.

Well - I am here to tell you - I could have purchased even more (like maybe 1 paperback book of 200 pages or less - but still that is more).

Here is how it all fit

Packed in the footwell too with the paper towels riding shotgun (nice arm rest btw)

View attachment 518870
As for the trunk had to tie off top of each bag and place them in sideways to fit.

Took about 3 tries before the trunk would close right.

View attachment 518871

So there!

I have much more to post about the journey and trials/tribulations (getting it polished and ceramic coated all week / right now) and need to post on all the mods I learned about and setup but in case you are trying to sell a Roadster as a practical car - your buddy Nick has you covered in pictures!

:)
Love it that the roadsters are used as daily drivers! Congrats and looking forward to more stories...

Reactions: Matteni
Congrats!

We had a similar "Roadster Tetris" challenge a few years ago at Christmas, trying to bring home more in volume than we took. It is amazing what you can carry if you stack it right.

One caution - don't pack the trunk so tight that you have to push harder than normal to close it. Those latches don't like to have a lot stress on them, as they will fail to open. Bad news if there's a package of raw meat in there...

• Funny
Reactions: drewski and Matteni
She is GREAT to pick up fast food for the family, because she is never too wide for the take-out lane with the always present bent and inwardly pointing retainer railing. Alas I have never taken pics.

My transport has mainly been for my trusty golf bag. Why shop when I can golf instead? She looks GREAT on the links. I have used her to win 2 Texas scrambles.

• Funny
I always get funny looks as I walk up to the car with my full trolley and proceed to pack the trunk solid, it takes a lot more than you could guess. But there’s no way to get those kitchen rolls in the back.

I took this picture of my Costco cart thinking there’s no way since I also had the soft top in the trunk and a kid riding shotgun.
You can always put the soft top on, or if open sky is a requirement, it can fit on the door sill next to the passenger (I've done that on a road trip that included Avenue of the Giants). And the kid can hold something or, if short enough, leave room for a package in the footwell.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses and drewski
You can always put the soft top on, or if open sky is a requirement, it can fit on the door sill next to the passenger (I've done that on a road trip that included Avenue of the Giants). And the kid can hold something or, if short enough, leave room for a package in the footwell.

Great suggestions about storing the soft top along the door sill.

I had to open up items to debulk them before covering my kid with all the stuff. Don’t have a pic but his body was covered with only his head exposed. I didn’t traumatized him too bad since he still volunteers to ride along to the stores;)

• Funny
Great suggestions about storing the soft top along the door sill.

I had to open up items to debulk them before covering my kid with all the stuff. Don’t have a pic but his body was covered with only his head exposed. I didn’t traumatized him too bad since he still volunteers to ride along to the stores;)

it's like a birthday party in your car
Balls1.png

• Funny
Reactions: eHorses