Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Juicebox 40 issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Received a replacement unit from Enel one week after reporting the problem. They sent a 2020 model (with one LED light) that had manufacture date only 6 weeks prior to me receiving it. The unit had a "refurbished" label but it looked new. Most importantly, the new unit charges the car without issues. As others have noted however, the 2020 JuiceBox model has a weaker WiFi radio and disconnects for a few minutes every few days while the old unit didn't disconnect from my WiFi even once. Overall, a very positive experience with the warranty claim.

Frankly, cloud dependent access is only real complaint I have about the JuiceBox. Just the past couple weeks it would show offline for up to a day even though the Wifi and Internet connectivity are just fine as confirmed with JuiceBox support. It appears they recently updated cloud server software and there are some hiccups.

Hmm. Thought I should chime in here on this matter. I'm ... well, kind of a big JuiceBox nerd. More with the older versions (JuiceBox v1.x - everything from Kickstarter-era boxes through the 3-LED black boxes), than the newer ones (v2.x, anything with a plastic enclosure).

Generally, if JuiceBox gives you a beep error on startup (when plugged into AC supply), it's no bueno. That, itself, is as complete a reset as you can get. It does all its self-tests on startup (into supply, not the car), and if there's a fault, maybe that fault is a one-time thing, so I recommend just unplugging it and plugging it back in so it'll re-test everything. If it fails again, well... 🤔 hmm. May be time to contact support.

JuiceBox, as with other EVSEs, definitely should not be getting hot to the touch at any load. In general, there's absolutely nothing you can do or set (with standards-compliant vehicles and proper installation/ratings) to cause the EVSE, your car, or the outlet, to burn out. If everything is set up properly - with proper breaker (a 40-amp EVSE should have a 50-amp outlet and a 50-amp breaker) - then everything should just work, forever. But, uh... well... sometimes, a screw wasn't tightened inside the box (⊙_⊙~) And that's why there's a warranty! 😅

I offer repairs for out-of-warranty boxes dating back to the original Kickstarter boxes (including those black cylinder ones with the LCD), and I've got replacement parts for them as well. I've also never had a repair bill over $200 (shipping included). Slide casually into my DMs, and I can help get your box fixed - either DIY or mail-in.
Hi there, do you have any info RE repairing the units
Hmm. Thought I should chime in here on this matter. I'm ... well, kind of a big JuiceBox nerd. More with the older versions (JuiceBox v1.x - everything from Kickstarter-era boxes through the 3-LED black boxes), than the newer ones (v2.x, anything with a plastic enclosure).

Generally, if JuiceBox gives you a beep error on startup (when plugged into AC supply), it's no bueno. That, itself, is as complete a reset as you can get. It does all its self-tests on startup (into supply, not the car), and if there's a fault, maybe that fault is a one-time thing, so I recommend just unplugging it and plugging it back in so it'll re-test everything. If it fails again, well... 🤔 hmm. May be time to contact support.

JuiceBox, as with other EVSEs, definitely should not be getting hot to the touch at any load. In general, there's absolutely nothing you can do or set (with standards-compliant vehicles and proper installation/ratings) to cause the EVSE, your car, or the outlet, to burn out. If everything is set up properly - with proper breaker (a 40-amp EVSE should have a 50-amp outlet and a 50-amp breaker) - then everything should just work, forever. But, uh... well... sometimes, a screw wasn't tightened inside the box (⊙_⊙~) And that's why there's a warranty! 😅

I offer repairs for out-of-warranty boxes dating back to the original Kickstarter boxes (including those black cylinder ones with the LCD), and I've got replacement parts for them as well. I've also never had a repair bill over $200 (shipping included). Slide casually into my DMs, and I can help get your box fixed - either DIY or mail-in.
@FalconFour do you have any info you can share RE repairing the GFI error? (can't figure out how to DM/converse on the forum interface). On my third juicebox 40 with the same error and it's out of warranty at this point. I'm a little gunshy about buying yet another unit due to so many of them dying in the same manner. Love the device otherwise. Thanks

do you have any info you can share RE repairing the GFI error?
PM'd :) BTW, on mobile I'm not sure, but on desktop/laptop, just hover over a username/profile icon and click "Start a conversation". You should also get an email about my PM, which will lead you to the thread.

(what follows relates to JB 1.x - the black or silver metal boxes - not the white plastic ones with the large LED strip in front)

But more broadly, a GFI issue -- an ACTUAL GFI issue -- is really hard to figure out. There were some issues in the past related to the power supply circuit (-2.5v and -12v) that made diagnosis wildly difficult. The dang regulator would start putting out a sawtooth voltage pattern! No idea why - and it only did it occasionally (otherwise, smoothly regulated as it should be). When it does that, a GFI self-test fault is practically 50/50, so it comes and goes. Most of the time, when GFI-issue boxes get to my door, they work fine. The best I could offer is a replacement power supply circuit I (re)designed to delete that entire circuit and its issues. I can swap that in to replace the -12v and -2.5v supplies, usually does the trick :)

A single beep, though, may not be a GFI issue. A single-beep (repeating single long beep) is kind of a general "system fault", and one of the more common faults is, well, ... the relay burned out. haha. That'd be "stuck relay" and it's also a single-beep. Even if it's a charred mess inside, I can usually still rescue those - and it's a much more definite fix. I disassemble and clean the thing up, install a new relay, trim a little burned wire back, and it's as good as new again. Still way cheaper than a new one!

Update: Received a replacement unit from Enel one week after reporting the problem. They sent a 2020 model (with one LED light) that had manufacture date only 6 weeks prior to me receiving it. The unit had a "refurbished" label but it looked new. Most importantly, the new unit charges the car without issues. As others have noted however, the 2020 JuiceBox model has a weaker WiFi radio and disconnects for a few minutes every few days while the old unit didn't disconnect from my WiFi even once. Overall, a very positive experience with the warranty claim.

Just an update that the replacement unit (the 2020 generation model) also failed after about 6 months. This time there was no error code / beep -- the unit doesn't power on anymore and the LED is off. Luckily I still had about 1 month of the 3-year warranty left so EnelX support is sending me a replacement unit at no expense to me. While on one hand I am positively impressed with Enel's willingness to honor their warranty, on the other hand I am disappointed with their product given it was already the second unit that has failed for me.

A question for @FalconFour and others who are knowledgeable on the subject. My unit failed after we had a power outage in the neighborhood. Several neighbors reported having surge protectors destroyed when we briefly lost power (presumably from a surge). Following neighbor reports I went into the garage and checked the main panel. The 50A circuit breaker on which the JuiceBox is on was tripped so I reset it. Still the JuiceBox would not come on. I then tried plugging the Tesla charger that came with the car into the same outlet, charging started right away with no issues and charged the car to 90%. Are the JuiceBoxes not robust enough to handle adverse events? Note that the car wasn't plugged in when the power surge event happened. Would installing an outlet surge protector help prevent failures in the future (example)?

Just an update that the replacement unit (the 2020 generation model) also failed after about 6 months. This time there was no error code / beep -- the unit doesn't power on anymore and the LED is off. Luckily I still had about 1 month of the 3-year warranty left so EnelX support is sending me a replacement unit at no expense to me. While on one hand I am positively impressed with Enel's willingness to honor their warranty, on the other hand I am disappointed with their product given it was already the second unit that has failed for me.

A question for @FalconFour and others who are knowledgeable on the subject. My unit failed after we had a power outage in the neighborhood. Several neighbors reported having surge protectors destroyed when we briefly lost power (presumably from a surge). Following neighbor reports I went into the garage and checked the main panel. The 50A circuit breaker on which the JuiceBox is on was tripped so I reset it. Still the JuiceBox would not come on. I then tried plugging the Tesla charger that came with the car into the same outlet, charging started right away with no issues and charged the car to 90%. Are the JuiceBoxes not robust enough to handle adverse events? Note that the car wasn't plugged in when the power surge event happened. Would installing an outlet surge protector help prevent failures in the future (example)?
It you had a surge that tripped a 50A breaker then I don't think it's really fair to blame the JuiceBox. Many if not most home appliances are not designed to survive a serious power surge by themselves. Perhaps you should consider adding a whole house surge protector (The Best Whole-House Surge Protectors of 2022).

@cali8484 and @davewill thanks for your engagement and suggestions. I do in fact have a whole house surge protector installed (Intermatic IG series), which continues to glow green even after the power event last week. I am confused whether it worked and survived, or if it wasn’t installed correctly and simply didn’t even provide any protection…

I’m certainly not blaming the JuiceBox. At the same time none of my other electronics died. At the time two laptops were working, AC was on, and so on. Yet the JuiceBox, which was only maintaining its connection to the WiFi, seems to have died catastrophically.

I would like to contact davewill for repair of my juicebox pro 40. How can we make contact ? please post contact info if appropiate
I'm not the guy you're looking for. It was @FalconFour who posted above that he does repairs: