Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new LR model 3 only has 75kWh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is built in top quality, efficiency is very high and the car has absolutely no issues. I have a reply from Tesla, that I have a Panasonic battery pack.
Who did you send your battery question too ? They told me my M3LR21 -was only 65kwh Catl battery, not the 82kwh battery -which my only request - through out ordering process, they (SA) assured me I had a 82kwh battery -now to find I only have a low end battery - my battery is draining quick , takes longer time to charge & only gets 240ml use, not 353mls- how do I get them to resolve -replace the low end battery with the battery I was assured I had (82Kwh ). The 65kwh battery is not suppose to be in the MDLR21 - thats a lemon

Last edited:
Who did you send your battery question too ? They told me my M3LR21 -was only 65kwh Catl battery, not the 82kwh battery -which my only request - through out ordering process, they (SA) assured me I had a 82kwh battery -now to find I only have a low end battery - my battery is draining quick , takes longer time to charge & only gets 240ml use, not 353mls- how do I get them to resolve -replace the low end battery with the battery I was assured I had (82Kwh ). The 65kwh battery is not suppose to be in the MDLR21 - thats a lemon
Do you have scanmytesla to read the actual battery capacity?

(Moderator note)

I split this off from an unrelated thread and made it its own thread. I chose the thread title as a description of what the body text in the post includes

=================================

(Regular content post, not moderation content below)

If you actually purchased a long range model 3, new, and somehow have 65kWh of storage, then you would likely fall under the 70% battery degradation threshhold. This is an extremely bold claim, however, that a new LONG RANGE model 3 has 65kWh of storage. Please forgive me for having some skepticism to that claim.

They told me my M3LR21 -was only 65kwh Catl battery
Let's first see if that is correct. Charge up your battery and report the percent and range displayed on the screen. You can toggle between them by tapping on the number.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 1.48.43 PM.png

Looking at other posts from this op, it appears that they may have mis typed what they put here. Other posts they made show them complaining that they got a 75kWh battery when they were expecting to get the 82kWh battery, and posting repeatedly about how upset about that they are.

I suspect thats the case here, but because their post states different, until they confirm something different from what they said in their original post here, I am going to leave the thread title as I made it.

Looking at other posts from this op, it appears that they may have mis typed what they put here. Other posts they made show them complaining that they got a 75kWh battery when they were expecting to get the 82kWh battery, and posting repeatedly about how upset about that they are.

I suspect thats the case here, but because their post states different, until they confirm something different from what they said in their original post here, I am going to leave the thread title as I made it.
This was discussed in depth here already. Yes, he's talking about a 75kWh or 74kWh battery. The LR never used CATL batteries and it's not 65 kWh anyways.
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

The gist I get is that the SA told him he would get the 82 kWh (which officially they are not supposed to say, a service person even told him that), but using the calculation method in that thread and also a service person is saying it's a 74kWh battery.

Deep dive in on the battery types here.
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

Last edited:

Hi, yes I requested x 100 for the 82kwh battery & was assured thats what I up to pick up. A mobile tech person said approx 2wks later it was 74kwh, so I called SA again -was assured it was the 82kwh, the biggest battery, they said get a diagnostic @ service center, I had minor autopilot issues so called the service center, they said I had a 65kwh CATL battery, when I went to my service appt- they said they cant tell me my battery size, my battery warranty is good for 100K/8yr- (thats a SR battery warranty) he was saying how he had a 82kwh in his Y, they even put 82kwh batteries in SR. I only get approx 240 usable miles. The service center refusee to tell me battery size, it’s ridiculous I paid $70K for the car. But the giving me my battery warranty is an indicator I got the ‘SR’ battery - I just have to find battery sticker under car -or tesla scan & go from there

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hi everyone, I’ve just taken delivery of my Model 3 LR MiC in France. I’m an ex pat, so I thought I’d be more comfortable discussing it with you lot😀. Also, I’ve read on this forum that many believe that customers are treated better on the Continent. Well, that’s not true.
I won’t bore you with the complete saga, just the outline and my questions...
I wanted the LR because of the 614 km WLTP. But when I opted to get earlier (made in China) delivery I was told (very reluctantly, and only after pulling teeth) that it had a range of only 580 km.
I was angry, but the sales staff insisted that it was the new LFP battery and can be charged to 100%. I didn’t believe them because there is nothing on the internet about LFP for the Long Range. But they insisted.
Then they sent me the log book (carte grise) and I used the VIN decoder (thanks forum👍). I called up Tesla and they said that it’s not an official Tesla decoder therefore it’s wrong. I forgot to mention to them that the weight hadn’t changed (the LFP is heavier).
Anyhow I was prepared to accept that salesmen will say anything. And I was ready to reject the car.
At the Tesla pick up center (which is separate from the sales office). I ask the two technicians I was dealing with and they both insisted that ALL batteries from Shanghai are LFP and I can safely charge to 100%. But there is nothing in writing as Tesla doesn’t let you choose batteries.
So I accepted delivery. Since then I have fully charges it twice but both times it will only go to 541 km. Very very disappointed !
I checked with the in car owners manual and it said that the way to tell that it has LFP is to go to the charging screen. If the options are in percentages then it’s LFP. If it’s Daily and Trip then it’s not.
Mine is Daily and Trip!
I searched for a label in the fenderwell with an endoscope but couldn’t find it.
So, can you all confirm that I have been done up like a kipper?
Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this😀
Hi Tam, I am unhappy that the 614 km car that I went into the showroom to buy turned into a 580 km car that can only charge to 541 km. I feel that long range should mean long range.
When I go to sell my car, it will be the newest car with the oldest battery and will have to compete with the SR++ instead of other LRs and it’s going to cost me a fortune in the end. Plus I hate getting lied to🤬😀
I cant believe that response( why are you so unhappy ?? total ignorance) the M3LR21 was advertised everywhere-on all the reputable car sites having a 82kwh battery -not a 2020 75kwh battery , I thought the 65kwh catl battery was a mistake-but even though the service location refused to tell me my battery size - they did tell me my battery warranty is 100K/8yrs -thats for a SR battery. LR is 120K/8yr . I will have to find battery sticker under car -or Tesla scan & go from there

Reactions: Bouba
No no, we want a quiet life. My wife doesn’t even want me to complain......
They cant just stick in any size battery - I was assured a 82kwh battery, I had 3 SA who were like nonexistent-but that was the only request i asked them repeatedly, people check the specs before they decide what model to buy, I was going to get the YLR -but the Y only had a 75kwh battery, the 3LR had a 82kwh battery, so I chose the 3LR- now They say its a 65kwh CATL -has a SR battery warranty -they wont print my battery size on paper . I have wanted a Tesla for yrs, loved the tech, was waiting for the Y- but when I found out the 3LR had better spec’s I went w/3LR. I dont see how Tesla cant just be up front about the battery in my car -I paid $70K- they say it’s proprietary info ??? Im not asking for the coding, customers have a rtight to know the size of their battery in a electric car, if Incorrect battery was given they can just resolve it, but their support is very poor, they never return calls, texts, emails. Tesla support say battery size, capacity doesnt matter, then why is Musk always talking about battery improvements, Y will get the 4280 battery.

Reactions: Bouba and dhrivnak
They cant just stick in any size battery - I was assured a 82kwh battery, I had 3 SA who were like nonexistent-but that was the only request i asked them repeatedly, people check the specs before they decide what model to buy, I was going to get the YLR -but the Y only had a 75kwh battery, the 3LR had a 82kwh battery, so I chose the 3LR- now They say its a 65kwh CATL -has a SR battery warranty -they wont print my battery size on paper . I have wanted a Tesla for yrs, loved the tech, was waiting for the Y- but when I found out the 3LR had better spec’s I went w/3LR. I dont see how Tesla cant just be up front about the battery in my car -I paid $70K- they say it’s proprietary info ??? Im not asking for the coding, customers have a rtight to know the size of their battery in a electric car, if Incorrect battery was given they can just resolve it, but their support is very poor, they never return calls, texts, emails. Tesla support say battery size, capacity doesnt matter, then why is Musk always talking about battery improvements, Y will get the 4280 battery.
I cant believe that response( why are you so unhappy ?? total ignorance) the M3LR21 was advertised everywhere-on all the reputable car sites having a 82kwh battery -not a 2020 75kwh battery , I thought the 65kwh catl battery was a mistake-but even though the service location refused to tell me my battery size - they did tell me my battery warranty is 100K/8yrs -thats for a SR battery. LR is 120K/8yr . I will have to find battery sticker under car -or Tesla scan & go from therePss

They cant just stick in any size battery - I was assured a 82kwh battery,
This is a bit of a grey area, but the car is what is in writing on the purchase agreement (range based on standardized tests) not what had been said by sales people (often less informed than consumers) or found in forums.

Countries have different consumer protection laws, so you need to know yours.

Pss -I was referring to a repla
I cant believe that response( why are you so unhappy ?? total ignorance) the M3LR21 was advertised everywhere-on all the reputable car sites having a 82kwh battery -not a 2020 75kwh battery , I thought the 65kwh catl battery was a mistake-but even though the service location refused to tell me my battery size - they did tell me my battery warranty is 100K/8yrs -thats for a SR battery. LR is 120K/8yr . I will have to find battery sticker under car -or Tesla scan & go from there
I was referring go a response “ we thought youd be happy “ w/LFP in LR

You can calculate your battery size from the sticky here:

If the app displays more than 250 miles when fully charged to 100%, you do not have a "SR battery".

You can complain you got a 75kW battery instead of 82kW, which is totally fair, but the 75kW battery is not put in the Standard Range Model (SR) model 3. They do not put "82kW batteries in SR Model Ys" either. The 82kW battery is put in a long range model Y, but the Standard range doesnt get that battery.

You are mixing up things in your statements. It appears to me that you have had multiple conversations with multiple different people at tesla, and are mixing up things you hear that dont go together.

1. There is no 65kW battery new in a tesla. A Long Range model 3 that started with 75kW could have 65kW of energy left, but that is not what it would have started with.
2. There are no SR/SR+ model 3s with either 65kW or 75kW batteries. Thats not a thing, there is no battery capacity to unlock in a SR or SR+
3. Long Range model 3s can have either a 75kW battery or an 82kW battery. Every Long range model 3 made before 2021 had the 75kW battery.
4. When tesla transitioned to the slightly larger 82kW battery, there was a period of time where only the performance model got it, and the LR got the 75kW.
5. SR / SR+ model Ys do not get a LR battery (either 75kW or 82kW). Thats not a thing.
6. Long Range model Ys do Receive 82kW batteries.

Those are the facts above.

Last edited:
CATL is Tesla's LFP battery supplier in China, but presumably only for the SR+ size, so 65kWh makes no sense, does it? And, does shipping 1000lb batteries all the way from China make any business sense, when there's a shipping backlog, etc?

OP should be focusing on the measly 240 miles on his LR.... that is a problem. The kwh rating of the battery installed is derailing the real issue

That would be the case if the app showed "240 miles" but thats not what they said. They said "240 usable miles". That means to me that they "are only getting 240 actual miles out of a charge", or something.

In effect, this appears to be "my car doesnt get rated range", couched as something else, or at least that is what it seems like now.

Status
Not open for further replies.