Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new LR model 3 only has 75kWh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, yes I requested x 100 for the 82kwh battery & was assured thats what I up to pick up. A mobile tech person said approx 2wks later it was 74kwh, so I called SA again -was assured it was the 82kwh, the biggest battery, they said get a diagnostic @ service center, I had minor autopilot issues so called the service center, they said I had a 65kwh CATL battery, when I went to my service appt- they said they cant tell me my battery size, my battery warranty is good for 100K/8yr- (thats a SR battery warranty) he was saying how he had a 82kwh in his Y, they even put 82kwh batteries in SR. I only get approx 240 usable miles. The service center refusee to tell me battery size, it’s ridiculous I paid $70K for the car. But the giving me my battery warranty is an indicator I got the ‘SR’ battery - I just have to find battery sticker under car -or tesla scan & go from there
Others already pointed out what you are saying doesn't make sense as there is no such thing as a 65kWh CATL battery (given you said you estimated your car at 74kWh using the method shown, it's impossible anyways).

Before you embark further, you need to check what your indicated rated range is at 100% (not "usable" as that would vary on usage). See page 156, on how to charge to 100% by pressing the "Set Limit" button and then moving the bar to full. Take a note of how much your rated range is immediately after it finishes charging.
See page 56 #8 to make sure you have set your energy display to show miles instead of percentage if you don't see a miles number. It is under Controls > Display > Energy Display > Energy

If you see a number higher than 263 rated miles at 100% there is no way it's an SR.

The dude clearly has no idea what he's looking at. He's convinced himself that he got screwed, and there's nobody that'll change his mind.

He also said he paid $70k for an LR, which assuming he got every single option and FSD, you still can't get to more than $65k.

If I had to guess, he's taking what sales and service writers tell him as gospel, and won't listen to anything anybody says here. Based on his posts here, I can only imagine the people at the service center will literally tell him anything to get him to leave.

The dude clearly has no idea what he's looking at. He's convinced himself that he got screwed, and there's nobody that'll change his mind.

He also said he paid $70k for an LR, which assuming he got every single option and FSD, you still can't get to more than $65k.

If I had to guess, he's taking what sales and service writers tell him as gospel, and won't listen to anything anybody says here. Based on his posts here, I can only imagine the people at the service center will literally tell him anything to get him to leave.

Well, 65k + tax / title / License, in CA , is going to be more than 70k. With that being said, Tesla SC employees, in general, completely shut down when people start in on "the battery" when talking to them, unless there is some alert on screen about it or something.

I agree with you that usually at that point, they will say just about anything to get someone to leave them alone in any discussion regarding "why does my car only go 240 usable miles"?

(Moderator note)

I split this off from an unrelated thread and made it its own thread. I chose the thread title as a description of what the body text in the post includes

=================================

(Regular content post, not moderation content below)

If you actually purchased a long range model 3, new, and somehow have 65kWh of storage, then you would likely fall under the 70% battery degradation threshhold. This is an extremely bold claim, however, that a new LONG RANGE model 3 has 65kWh of storage. Please forgive me for having some skepticism to that claim.

Shouldn't Fillip K's original comment be part of this thread, considering it's all started from there? Where has that comment gone? He hasn't even been here to see all this chatter - I wonder if he's being notified that this thread exists.

Where did you get this chart from? Are all the cars represented?
@eivissa is a well known member who keeps track of this stuff. The chart I attached is for the M3 in the USA. You can find the EU chart and other info below. Google Chrome will translate for you as its in German.

Do you have scanmytesla to read the actual battery capacity?
Im doing that, also my old software 2021.11.103 isn’t updating, I heard that software might be associated w/FNP battery, if so, no wonder its not updating.
Do you have scanmytesla to read the actual battery capacity?
(Moderator note)

I split this off from an unrelated thread and made it its own thread. I chose the thread title as a description of what the body text in the post includes

=================================

(Regular content post, not moderation content below)

If you actually purchased a long range model 3, new, and somehow have 65kWh of storage, then you would likely fall under the 70% battery degradation threshhold. This is an extremely bold claim, however, that a new LONG RANGE model 3 has 65kWh of storage. Please forgive me for having some skepticism to that claim.
thats what a Tesla service person said over phone, I doubted it, I initially upset it wasnt a 82kWh, was upset when a mobile tech said it was only 74KW. The SA - assured I had the 82KWH- biggest battery. The service person over phone said it was a 65kwh CATL, I didnt think much of it, thought he just made a mistake. When I took my car in to service location, they didnt do anything - they said they couldn’t say or print out my battery size, but they said my battery has a 100K warranty- that is for SR. The LR is suppose to have 120K warranty. If I have a nonstandard battery in my car- nevermind the Battery size error, that could be reason my old software isn’t updating (2021.11.103)

Reactions: Sam1
You need to use a scan tool to check the actual capacity. If you truly have a long range car, and you truly have a battery only showing 65kwh, then you need a warranty replacement.
A warranty replacement ? I need the battery replaced w/correct battery or another Tesla- I paid $70K for a car w/nonstandard - low end battery. I ordered & was assured a 82KWH battery, Tesla SA made a huge error. I bet most of the employees have the 82KWH battery. The entire ordering process was awful ( kept getting a different SA- 3 - all mostly MIA) I left voicemessages, emails, texts re: wanting a 2021 model w/latest specs including a 82KWH battery. I was assured I had that, now Im finding its a 74kWh or even a LFP battery. If that service person made a mistake saying I had a 65KWH battery - nobody corrected him. Also the SR buyers got a letter offering the LFP battery, I never did. They didnt give me the car w/specs I ordered.

A warranty replacement ? I need the battery replaced w/correct battery or another Tesla- I paid $70K for a car w/nonstandard - low end battery. I ordered & was assured a 82KWH battery, Tesla SA made a huge error. I bet most of the employees have the 82KWH battery. The entire ordering process was awful ( kept getting a different SA- 3 - all mostly MIA) I left voicemessages, emails, texts re: wanting a 2021 model w/latest specs including a 82KWH battery. I was assured I had that, now Im finding its a 74kWh or even a LFP battery. If that service person made a mistake saying I had a 65KWH battery - nobody corrected him. Also the SR buyers got a letter offering the LFP battery, I never did. They didnt give me the car w/specs I ordered.

Alright, there's a lot to unpack in your rant here, but I'll give it a go.

Tesla doesn't quote battery sizes any more. It's true that most LR cars since the spring have had the 82kwh battery, yours probably does too. 82kwh batteries are not fully unlocked right now, so even if you had one, you'd see ~77kwh of capacity.

There's no 74kwh battery. It doesn't exist for the model 3. The previous LR battery was 79kwh or thereabouts with ~74kwh being usable.

Tesla SA's didn't make any error. They shouldn't have said anything about battery capacity. They have no ability to promise anything.

There are no LRs in the US with LFP batteries. Period. Unless they shipped a car from china and delivered it to you here, it's not a thing. If that was the case you'd have a Chinese VIN, and the door sticker would tell you it was made in China.

There is no 65kwh battery. It doesn't exist.

You've been told several times ways to confirm your battery size. You've done none of them. As best I can tell, the only thing you're doing is making posts online about once a week, and probably bothering a bunch of Tesla employees who will tell you anything they can to get you to leave.

If you want to confirm your battery size:
1. Look at the sticker on the battery. This will take you about 3 minutes.

2. Use a tool, such as ScanMyTesla

Until you do either of those things, stop complaining on the internet. Right now you sound like a crazy person saying the same thing over and over again, but unwilling to actually find out the truth.

I cant believe that response( why are you so unhappy ?? total ignorance) the M3LR21 was advertised everywhere-on all the reputable car sites having a 82kwh battery -not a 2020 75kwh battery , I thought the 65kwh catl battery was a mistake-but even though the service location refused to tell me my battery size - they did tell me my battery warranty is 100K/8yrs -thats for a SR battery. LR is 120K/8yr . I will have to find battery sticker under car -or Tesla scan & go from there
T
This is a bit of a grey area, but the car is what is in writing on the purchase agreement (range based on standardized tests) not what had been said by sales people (often less informed than consumers) or found in forums.

Countries have different consumer protection laws, so you need to know yours.
So SA can say what ever, assure its a the biggest 82kwh battery - & its not considered a error? Why was all the SR customers given a LFP offer & LR wasnt ? The SA prob thought stupidly I wouldnt have noticed( despite my 100 messages for a 82KWH battery) maybe if I had 1 good SA, I would of gotten the correct car, but I was tossed to 3 different SA- they were all almost nonexistent, they almost never returned my calls, texts ,emails. I kept getting “prepare for delivery” then it would disappear x 4. That entire ordering process would of been ok if I got the correct car I ordered, they prob diverted my car w/82KWH battery to an employee or prepared customers , then stuck me w/Tesla w/ poor battery, possibly nonstandard chips (my old software (2021.11.103) doesn't update either - maybe d/t nonstandard -low end battery/chips) that software I see is also used in Canada- I saw that Quebec Canada - uses recycled Teslas. I got a lemon car - I dont see why Tesla cant help - but they wont even acknowledge the problem, I called Tesla - & couldn’t believe x 2 the support said they’ve never heard of the 82KWH battery- how did they get jobs @ Tesla - they are either totally ignorant w/what they are selling, or playing dumb to prevent from telling the customer the truth. My tesla LR doesnt even look as nice as some Tesla 3 LR 21- maybe it is a recycled old Tesla ( its weird when I checked my VIN (I got official VIN like a day before pick up) for battery size- I couldnt tell, but there was 2019 info under it -which seemed weird. But just had to believe what SA,said it was a 82KWH -biggest battery. Tesla needs to fix my battery issue, there must be others w/similar situation. I read a lot of during ordering process that Tesla has awful customer service, support, just didnt think it would happen to me too

They cant just stick in any size battery - I was assured a 82kwh battery, I had 3 SA who were like nonexistent-but that was the only request i asked them repeatedly, people check the specs before they decide what model to buy, I was going to get the YLR -but the Y only had a 75kwh battery, the 3LR had a 82kwh battery, so I chose the 3LR- now They say its a 65kwh CATL -has a SR battery warranty -they wont print my battery size on paper . I have wanted a Tesla for yrs, loved the tech, was waiting for the Y- but when I found out the 3LR had better spec’s I went w/3LR. I dont see how Tesla cant just be up front about the battery in my car -I paid $70K- they say it’s proprietary info ??? Im not asking for the coding, customers have a rtight to know the size of their battery in a electric car, if Incorrect battery was given they can just resolve it, but their support is very poor, they never return calls, texts, emails. Tesla support say battery size, capacity doesnt matter, then why is Musk always talking about battery improvements, Y will get the 4280 battery.

(moderator note)

You already have a thread on this topic, so I moved your posts to the thread you started. I also edited the thread title as it is fairly apparent that what you are complaining about is a 75kW battery.

Reactions: jrmt23
<snip>... maybe it is a recycled old Tesla ( its weird when I checked my VIN (I got official VIN like a day before pick up) for battery size- I couldnt tell, but there was 2019 info under it -which seemed weird. <snip>
So, from your posts I gather you believe you have a 2021 Model 3 Long Range. I have several questions, that I don't see the answers from any of your earlier posts, that may help others here assist with your issue:
  • When did you purchase the car?
  • Was it described as NEW or USED?
  • What was the mileage on it when you received the car?
  • What is the VIN? Do NOT include the last 4 or 5 digits; we don't need to know the exact serial number
  • What is the range displayed when you have charged to 100%? If you don't want to fully charge it, or can't, then provide the range (mileage) AND the associated percentage of charge, we can do the math.

T

So SA can say what ever, assure its a the biggest 82kwh battery - & its not considered a error? Why was all the SR customers given a LFP offer & LR wasnt ? The SA prob thought stupidly I wouldnt have noticed( despite my 100 messages for a 82KWH battery) maybe if I had 1 good SA, I would of gotten the correct car, but I was tossed to 3 different SA- they were all almost nonexistent, they almost never returned my calls, texts ,emails. I kept getting “prepare for delivery” then it would disappear x 4. That entire ordering process would of been ok if I got the correct car I ordered, they prob diverted my car w/82KWH battery to an employee or prepared customers , then stuck me w/Tesla w/ poor battery, possibly nonstandard chips (my old software (2021.11.103) doesn't update either - maybe d/t nonstandard -low end battery/chips) that software I see is also used in Canada- I saw that Quebec Canada - uses recycled Teslas. I got a lemon car - I dont see why Tesla cant help - but they wont even acknowledge the problem, I called Tesla - & couldn’t believe x 2 the support said they’ve never heard of the 82KWH battery- how did they get jobs @ Tesla - they are either totally ignorant w/what they are selling, or playing dumb to prevent from telling the customer the truth. My tesla LR doesnt even look as nice as some Tesla 3 LR 21- maybe it is a recycled old Tesla ( its weird when I checked my VIN (I got official VIN like a day before pick up) for battery size- I couldnt tell, but there was 2019 info under it -which seemed weird. But just had to believe what SA,said it was a 82KWH -biggest battery. Tesla needs to fix my battery issue, there must be others w/similar situation. I read a lot of during ordering process that Tesla has awful customer service, support, just didnt think it would happen to me too
You already know and have been told by service that officially there is no promised battery capacity when you buy the car. You can check all your paperwork and the Monroney sticker. The last year Tesla had any suggested reference to battery capacity was 2019, when the Model S/X still used the 75D, 100D, and P100D designations.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&year=2019&make=Tesla&amp;pageno=1&rowLimit=50
The Model 3 never referred to battery capacity. So you will get nowhere trying to get service to verify your battery capacity, as they are not supposed to do that (even though some nicer ones might due that as a courtesy, but definitely they won't do that if you are taking a stance you want to hold them liable legally).

Sure, if the SA told you about a battery capacity they made a mistake. But what they say is unlikely to be legally binding and you would probably have as much luck holding that to them as any car salesman who quoted specs incorrectly.

But a core issue is from what you are saying, you are not even sure what battery you have. If this is the case, I suggest you take a few minutes to take a picture of the battery label and post it here. I was going to dig for instructions, but I see someone already gave you instructions on how to do it more than a week ago:
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

Also please try to get what rated range your car is at 100% as I posted above. If you don't want to charge to 100% at the very least post the rated range at a high SOC and then post the battery percentage also. You can switch between the two at Controls > Display > Energy Display > Energy.

On the subject of the VIN, it does not tell you what battery you have. Nothing in the VIN fields do that. You can only guess at it by knowing approximately which group of vehicles had which battery, but this is all a guess. Tesla Tap has a vin decoder, you can see the fields:
VIN Decoder – TeslaTap

People here want to help you, but you need to help yourself too by first getting some basic information on your car before you go waste a bunch of time trying to pursue Tesla.

Last edited:
If this is the case, I suggest you take a few minutes to take a picture of the battery label and post it here. I was going to dig for instructions, but I see someone already gave you instructions on how to do it more than a week ago:

I also posted the stickied link we have to the instructions in the model 3 subforum, in post 15 in this thread, so how to do this has been shared a couple different times in this thread now.

I also posted the stickied link we have to the instructions in the model 3 subforum, in post 15 in this thread, so how to do this has been shared a couple different times in this thread now.
That part is a bit different than what I was referring to. What I was referring to was taking a picture of the actual sticker on the battery pack, which involves proper lighting and placing your phone at the right place to take the picture.

Who did you send your battery question too ? They told me my M3LR21 -was only 65kwh Catl battery, not the 82kwh battery -which my only request - through out ordering process, they (SA) assured me I had a 82kwh battery -now to find I only have a low end battery - my battery is draining quick , takes longer time to charge & only gets 240ml use, not 353mls- how do I get them to resolve -replace the low end battery with the battery I was assured I had (82Kwh ). The 65kwh battery is not suppose to be in the MDLR21 - thats a lemon
Besides having difficulty understanding all the random thoughts all mushed together, the OP has not posted any evidence of anything.
• Can the OP describe what "draining quick" means, using data?
• And what's the deal with "takes longer time to charge", is it not charging at the rate the OP is setting?
• What is the real world data behind "only gets 240ml use"?

If the OP really believes his 3 has a 65kWh battery, the OP should hire a lawyer and sue Tesla to get rid of the "lemon". It should be a slam-dunk case. However, given the total lack of any hard data, and the disorganized rant, I have serious doubts about the OP's assertions. This should be easy to prove and understand, but the OP is making it hard, and just wasting everyone's time without any evidence. Take some pictures of the display to show the "draining quick", how hard is that? Take some pictures of the "takes longer time to charge". How hard is that? Take some pictures of the screen showing "only gets 240ml use". How hard can that be? Until we get some real world data to look at, one can only assume it's all a misunderstanding.

FWIW (which isnt much, for sure)... I totally believe the OP in this thread has a 75kW battery vs the 82kW battery. Thats entirely possible. I also believe its possible that the OP asked some SA (repeatedly) about battery size during their order process, and that SA possibly said "yeah sure, it does".

Both of those things are well within possibility, given what we have heard from other people. The rest of what the OP is saying, however is......."difficult to understand" is the term I will use.

In this post: the OP has claimed the Energy Screen Method has provided him with a 74kWh result. No pictures that I can recall though. So this 2021 LR Model 3 should display about 336 miles at a full charge, roughly. 5% capacity loss from a typical new LR. This is a reliable method and I have never seen it be incorrect for a vehicle below the degradation threshold.

Whether he has the 77.8kWh battery or 82.1kWh battery, we do not know, until he looks at the label as instructed above or gets SMT. It’s useless to argue about it otherwise.

Note that the vehicle needs about 78.6kWh to make the EPA rated range of 353 miles, following the test cycle exactly (and most importantly, driving the last 10 miles very slowly (20mph perhaps) until the car shuts down and leaves you stranded by the side of the road - this is required to get the full range). This is well known and clearly indicated in the EPA test documents. https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51235&flag=1 ( page 23) Most new LRs come with at least this energy (I would not be surprised at all if this particular one was 1kWh or so short of that when new, but what can you do?). Not a huge deal since you’ll likely lose about 7-10kWh in the first 2-3 years anyway (unless you get very lucky with your battery and your climate, like @KenC, currently the official TMC Lucky Battery Lottery winner). With the proliferation of Superchargers, especially in California, the set of situations where this loss matters for an LR is becoming slim (they do exist of course).

The service center refusee to tell me battery size,

You are wasting your time talking to them. I don’t know why you even bother!
was assured it was the 82kwh, the biggest battery

They are required to give you the 77.8kWh battery, which will roughly (there’s always vehicle-to-vehicle variation of a percent or so) meet the EPA range when it is new. Most new LRs are coming with the “82.1kWh” battery, which provides 79-80kWh, but it is not required.

my battery warranty is good for 100K/8yr- (thats a SR battery warranty)
No matter what anyone says, you bought an LR vehicle so you get the warranty for an LR.
. I will have to find battery sticker under car
Yeah you should do that. It’s very easy and may have therapeutic value.
They say its a 65kwh CATL -has a SR battery warranty -

That’s incorrect. I would avoid talking to anyone at Tesla. They have no idea, unless they are reading from a screen of diagnostics directly from your vehicle. They also cannot help resolve the situation in any way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.