Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model X After 1400 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2019 Model 3 that I got in April 2019, then sold it and got a Model S Plaid in August 2021 (ordered Oct 2020), then got the Model X LR for my wife on Feb 24 this year (after being on order for 13 months).

Nice ride. Smooth, stable and quiet. Quiet except for the cabin fan - when it revs up it's way louder than any car I've owned. Climate control is excellent.

FSD (Full Self Driving) on the MX is SO much better than FSD on my ModelS. Only 1 phantom braking event in 1400 miles. On FSD it comes to a stop much smoother than the S. Although my S CAN stop smoothly, it often does not.

Visibility is, well, awful. The view through the rear view mirror is so dark that I cannot tell if that is a cop behind me or just another driver. I guess that's due to the dark tint on the rear glass, but the view is also diminished by the size of the rear glass and/or size of the mirror. The view out the front is another story. If I wanted to check out the condition of the underside of every bridge I went under it would be great, but usually there is a sun up there that comes through so brightly that I had to stop on our recent road trip to FL and buy some sunglasses. I wish they had copied the front glass design of the Model S, so much better. The sun visors are a joke, really. With nothing but glass from the hood to the 2nd row they had to get creative to provide a sun visor. It swings out of the way above the door, is way too small, and is cumbersome to get folded out. Again, the Model S is SO much better here.

The doors. The driver and passenger doors open & close by pushbutton (or brake pedal, or display screen button, and maybe another way that I forgot about). They're cool. Still getting used to it but I think it will result in a plus once the newness wears off. When I say open & close, I mean they open and close by a motor - you don't have to actually close the things - just push a button and they close or open by themselves. Same with the falcon doors in the back. Pushbutton. If you're in a garage or some place with low clearance they don't open all the way but they are easy enough to push open the rest of the way if needed. You can also hold down the open button and they will go up farther than the auto position. The way they open you can be very close to another car and they will clear it with room to spare. And be prepared for someone to strike up a conversation with you if you use the falcon doors in a parking lot. It draws attention.

Performance. Handles great. Good acceleration (0-60 in 3.8s). Braking is fine. What else can I say. It won't rip your head off when you punch it like the S Plaid but it should smoke most of the cars on the highway. Oh, and every other Mustang GT or Hellcat will be sure to wind up some extra revs when you pass one, just to show you they can make noise. Tesla does that to some drivers.

Wife says if she had it to do over again, she would without hesitation.

I had a 2019 Model 3 that I got in April 2019, then sold it and got a Model S Plaid in August 2021 (ordered Oct 2020), then got the Model X LR for my wife on Feb 24 this year (after being on order for 13 months).

Nice ride. Smooth, stable and quiet. Quiet except for the cabin fan - when it revs up it's way louder than any car I've owned. Climate control is excellent.

FSD (Full Self Driving) on the MX is SO much better than FSD on my ModelS. Only 1 phantom braking event in 1400 miles. On FSD it comes to a stop much smoother than the S. Although my S CAN stop smoothly, it often does not.

Visibility is, well, awful. The view through the rear view mirror is so dark that I cannot tell if that is a cop behind me or just another driver. I guess that's due to the dark tint on the rear glass, but the view is also diminished by the size of the rear glass and/or size of the mirror. The view out the front is another story. If I wanted to check out the condition of the underside of every bridge I went under it would be great, but usually there is a sun up there that comes through so brightly that I had to stop on our recent road trip to FL and buy some sunglasses. I wish they had copied the front glass design of the Model S, so much better. The sun visors are a joke, really. With nothing but glass from the hood to the 2nd row they had to get creative to provide a sun visor. It swings out of the way above the door, is way too small, and is cumbersome to get folded out. Again, the Model S is SO much better here.

The doors. The driver and passenger doors open & close by pushbutton (or brake pedal, or display screen button, and maybe another way that I forgot about). They're cool. Still getting used to it but I think it will result in a plus once the newness wears off. When I say open & close, I mean they open and close by a motor - you don't have to actually close the things - just push a button and they close or open by themselves. Same with the falcon doors in the back. Pushbutton. If you're in a garage or some place with low clearance they don't open all the way but they are easy enough to push open the rest of the way if needed. You can also hold down the open button and they will go up farther than the auto position. The way they open you can be very close to another car and they will clear it with room to spare. And be prepared for someone to strike up a conversation with you if you use the falcon doors in a parking lot. It draws attention.

Performance. Handles great. Good acceleration (0-60 in 3.8s). Braking is fine. What else can I say. It won't rip your head off when you punch it like the S Plaid but it should smoke most of the cars on the highway. Oh, and every other Mustang GT or Hellcat will be sure to wind up some extra revs when you pass one, just to show you they can make noise. Tesla does that to some drivers.

Wife says if she had it to do over again, she would without hesitation.
When you punch acceleration on highway (50mph +). Do you get a high pitched sound like a dental drill? You’d only hear it with the radio off… I agree with everything you say but where I live (PA) the windshield is a plus… maybe later in the year it will become a problem… thx

Excellent review! I agree with most, though I must say we got phantom braking much more often. Enough that my wife said no using cruise or auto steer any time she's in the car.

And the dental drill whine is the same for us on hard acceleration.