Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model X rear ended only 2 hours after picking it up in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting point - though "space cushion" is day 1 of drivers ed typically.

These sorts of accidents are legally the fault of the follow-driver. that's a rule that exists to make it easier for insurance companies to work out claims and to encourage drivers to be especially careful about follow distance. But there are clearly some situations where the lead diver (often inadvertently) makes it more likely that he or she will be rear ended. Drivers who brake suddenly or unevenly are more likely to get rear ended than drivers who brake in the usual, predictable, manner

Yes, but ICE cars don't decelerate as quickly as a Tesla and they won't come to a complete stop without applying the brake.

But when regen fully kicks in the brake lights come on. I've observed it many times and don't think it's any different to a typical ICE car. Once you are braking with regeneration harder than a coasting ICE car then the brake lights are on.

Reactions: hacer
It's the same as an ice car but different. I find other cars seem to come up closer to me with the X than even my standard civic

Interesting. You must be braking harder/sooner in the X I guess? I haven't noticed any difference at all in the X vs our ICE car in terms of people coming up behind. I wonder if it's because you are using AP to brake, which tends to leave it later than I would when approaching slow traffic or junctions? Now I always switch AP off when I see slow traffic up ahead, brake manually and then switch it back once I get in line for stop/start crawling.

Federal law requires brake lights to illuminate when vehicles exceeds a certain deceleration rate. IMHO it has nothing to do with tesla and regen, but more to do with inattentive drivers distracted by phones trying to over compensate by tailing the car in front and following too close. I have not been rear ended in my tesla over 9 mos or my Volt in three years (rarely using friction brakes) but was in a traverse SUV yielding to a pedestrian after a long and gentle braking episode since I saw her approaching (and this was after a right turn where cars slowed anyways).

I find that the brake lights don't come on when you gently lift foot off accelerator. Regen really has to kick in for brake lights to come on. I started paying attention after first reading this thread. Carefully when people behind are too close

First, I want to say how scary and sucky the stories I am seeing here are to me. Been dreaming of owning an EV since I read about John Wayland around 2004. And now I own a Tesla, glad I waited.

As far as regen, the brake lights don't come on even with full pedal release until the speed is down below 40 MPH. Try it next time you exit the free way.

Below 40 is also where the 60Kw regen actually puts you in the seat belt in the X.

Interesting. You must be braking harder/sooner in the X I guess? I haven't noticed any difference at all in the X vs our ICE car in terms of people coming up behind. I wonder if it's because you are using AP to brake, which tends to leave it later than I would when approaching slow traffic or junctions? Now I always switch AP off when I see slow traffic up ahead, brake manually and then switch it back once I get in line for stop/start crawling.

Folks have different views on AP setting...... but IMO, if you choose 7 you’d have more distance for car to stop, perhaps mitigating rear enders.

Folks have different views on AP setting...... but IMO, if you choose 7 you’d have more distance for car to stop, perhaps mitigating rear enders.

I have mine set on 7 all the time. It still sees slow moving traffic very late for my liking and then brakes hard. It's fine when following fast moving traffic which then slows down. The problem is when you are approaching a line of slow traffic at high speed, it simply can't see far enough ahead to react sensibly and bleed off some speed on initial approach. So I just switch out of AP in that situation and brake manually.

The other thing I don't like is when a car pulls out in front of you at high speed, AP tends to over-react and brake much harder than I would manually. It doesn't make the same flexible use of the gap to the car in front when braking as you would when driving manually. So that's another potential for getting rear ended I guess.

But overall I don't feel more or less vulnerable to being rear ended in the X than any other car. I think where you are driving is a much bigger factor and luckily in the UK it's not a major problem.

I have mine set on 7 all the time. It still sees slow moving traffic very late for my liking and then brakes hard. It's fine when following fast moving traffic which then slows down. The problem is when you are approaching a line of slow traffic at high speed, it simply can't see far enough ahead to react sensibly and bleed off some speed on initial approach. So I just switch out of AP in that situation and brake manually.

The other thing I don't like is when a car pulls out in front of you at high speed, AP tends to over-react and brake much harder than I would manually. It doesn't make the same flexible use of the gap to the car in front when braking as you would when driving manually. So that's another potential for getting rear ended I guess.

But overall I don't feel more or less vulnerable to being rear ended in the X than any other car. I think where you are driving is a much bigger factor and luckily in the UK it's not a major problem.

Stationary/slow moving traffic seems to be AP's Achilles's heel.

As far as regen, the brake lights don't come on even with full pedal release until the speed is down below 40 MPH. Try it next time you exit the free way.

Okay did this test and my X is not like this at all. Lifting off completely from a steady 75 mph, brake lights come on as soon as it startst to slow (at around 73 mph). Tried the same at 60 mph and 50 mph with much the same result - brake lights come on as soon as the car decelerates. So either your car has different brake light settings (US vs UK?), has a fault, or perhaps you simply have regen set to "low" which would slow more like an ICE car when lifting off. Any other data points from other owners?

Okay did this test and my X is not like this at all. Lifting off completely from a steady 75 mph, brake lights come on as soon as it startst to slow (at around 73 mph). Tried the same at 60 mph and 50 mph with much the same result - brake lights come on as soon as the car decelerates. So either your car has different brake light settings (US vs UK?), has a fault, or perhaps you simply have regen set to "low" which would slow more like an ICE car when lifting off. Any other data points from other owners?

I checked my statement again last on the drive home and I got brake lights a little above 50MPH. Wondering if it is related to state of charge. I generally keep the battery between 60 and 80%, last night I was around 40%.