Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model X rear ended only 2 hours after picking it up in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What could be sadder than to have your brand new perfect car smashed after only 2 hours? Luckily it wasn't bad enough that anyone was hurt, but the black bumper was dented in and both lights broken. Last year, in my model S, I was rear ended in a similar stop and go traffic situation. I wonder, when letting up off the gas, do the break lights go on? I hardly use the breaks because the car slows enough without pressing them, and I am wondering if people behind me see that I am slowing. If the break lights don't go on when letting off the pedal, maybe Tesla should incorporate this into the system. I think 2 rear end accidents in a year is uncommon, even in the Bay Area. And I have never been rear ended before owning Tesla Cars :(
Did you get GAP insurance?

I was scammed into it. ($400) so seeing if it had any benefit here.

But if you release completely the car slows down too much and if the person behind you is tailgating, it can be dangerous especially when there is probably still a lot of room in front of you. If there was a button to flicker the lights, I would use it.

That sucks! I had someone back into my bumper about six weeks after we got it. Then she tried to say she wasn't sure if I was moving or not - which would make me pay for the damage she did to my car. Luckily, I had a witness as well as Tesla backing me up. It was so nice being able to get them to pull my logs for that specific time period so I could prove I was motionless. Man, that pissed me off though!

How does it matter if you are moving or not? A rear end is rear end. Open and shut case,except in rare circumstances when you are purposefully brake checking on highway speeds, or cutting into a lane in unsafe manner.

How does it matter if you are moving or not? A rear end is rear end. Open and shut case,except in rare circumstances when you are purposefully brake checking on highway speeds, or cutting into a lane in unsafe manner.

Had I not been able to prove that my car was not in motion, ie, that we were both moving toward each other, I would have had to pay for my own repair costs. While she was backing out of her space, she hit the front of my car because I had backed in as I normally do. I apologize that I did not represent the situation well.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Women brain are different than men in terms of spatial sensory. So, I am concerned whenever I see a woman driver. I try to be cautious around them. It is scary.

Not saying that woman are bad. Physiologically we are just different.

You’re stupid and you’re wrong. I guarantee I would drive laps around you in any weather conditions. Does making sweeping generalizations about 50% of the population make you feel better about your own insecurities?

I do think the brake lights don't turn on enough. If let up on the accelerator slightly to slowly come to a stop, I never see the brake lights turn on until toward the end. I usually have to let up completely to get the brake lights to flash or I tap the brake pedal to make sure the person behind me knows I'm slowing down.

But if you release completely the car slows down too much and if the person behind you is tailgating, it can be dangerous especially when there is probably still a lot of room in front of you. If there was a button to flicker the lights, I would use it.

As a new X owner I am surprised by the amount of speed reduction during regen that it takes to initiate the brake lights to come on. At times it's a bit scary in heavy traffic where I can reduce my speed 10 or 15 mph pretty rapidly with no brake lights. In some instances the amount of deceleration with regen required to kick on the brake lights is excessive. Of course for "us" its no problem, but any other vehicle behind you it could seem a bit out of control. Getting hit from behind has become an initial worry.

I am going to try reducing the regen mode to low and see if that helps any....

More likely that the other driver was doing this..

images

i was slowing down for a light the other day, less than a week after i got my car and heard the longest screeching behind me and i was bracing for impact but the guy stopped just in time. i was wondering if my regen brakes didnt light up or something. More likely the guy was just texting or something stupid.

BB62F6D4-9400-4FDA-AA29-48BCEAE5B080.jpeg
Oh I feel your pain. Two days ago, 10 days after delivery of my MX, I went to the movies with the kids. I parked the car at the very end of the parking row, no cars on either side of me. Yet... someone still managed to back into my car on his F150. Drove off. Parking security cameras could not ID the tag number. Now going through all stages of loss. Actually, I am stuck in anger...

I’ve followed a Model X and noted it did slow down quite a bit without activating the brake lights.

I think the biggest thing is the tiny brake lights, following drivers would probably be expecting the entire light cluster to light up, so when it remains off bar a tiny slither of light at the bottom - it’s probably not registering as much as it should.

View attachment 315383 Oh I feel your pain. Two days ago, 10 days after delivery of my MX, I went to the movies with the kids. I parked the car at the very end of the parking row, no cars on either side of me. Yet... someone still managed to back into my car on his F150. Drove off. Parking security cameras could not ID the tag number. Now going through all stages of loss. Actually, I am stuck in anger...
sorry bout that, I had an important call at the time

• Funny
Reactions: hacer
My guess would be that minor fender benders are fairly common right after folks have picked up new cars from any manufacturer. After all, the driver is trying to get used to the car and its controls (same thing when someone gets a rental car). That said, I wonder if they are a bit more common for Teslas since the RB takes some getting used to and is quite different from how one normally uses the gas and brake pedals.

How does this relate to another driver in a car they are accustomed to hitting the owner in their new car lol?

You’re stupid and you’re wrong. I guarantee I would drive laps around you in any weather conditions. Does making sweeping generalizations about 50% of the population make you feel better about your own insecurities?

My dad drives better than my mom.
I drive better than my wife. (If my wife was a better driver than me, I would be 100% for it)
My brother's drive better than my sisters.
No one would know who Danica Patrick was if she was a male named Danny Patrick.

I would anticipate with high probability but not assume my son will be a better driver than my daughter. I'm sending BOTH to advance driving schools because driving is a crucial skill that anyone behind a wheel needs to be proficient with.

It's certainty possible you drive better than any male on TMC but that would be outlier data. Your statement of "guaranteeing" driving laps around anyone is hubris. I make no proclamation guaranteeing any man is better than a woman at driving but I'm a realist that looks at probable outcomes.

If we are making guarantees, I'd guarantee my daughter would have a harder time fighting off a 300lb male attacker than my son. Hence I would spend more time on knife fighting and gunfighting for her versus my son.

Nothing to do with misogyny, everything with reality. I wish there were more driving schools for women by women. The following applies to everyone.

“The man who knows his limitations, has none.”

Last edited:
Misogynistic crap.

People who think they are good drivers are usually pretty bad.

You disagree but my wife, mom, mom in laws and sisters agree.

“Good” driver is relative to a macro scale.

“Better” driver is relative to a micro scale.

Your can choose to believe everyone is equal at everything.

Thankfully I don’t have too.

I also have a better bench press than my wife and I suspect (and hope) in general this would be true for other couples.

Common sense or misogyny?