Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model X rear ended only 2 hours after picking it up in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What could be sadder than to have your brand new perfect car smashed after only 2 hours? Luckily it wasn't bad enough that anyone was hurt, but the black bumper was dented in and both lights broken. Last year, in my model S, I was rear ended in a similar stop and go traffic situation. I wonder, when letting up off the gas, do the break lights go on? I hardly use the breaks because the car slows enough without pressing them, and I am wondering if people behind me see that I am slowing. If the break lights don't go on when letting off the pedal, maybe Tesla should incorporate this into the system. I think 2 rear end accidents in a year is uncommon, even in the Bay Area. And I have never been rear ended before owning Tesla Cars :(

Are you sure the dented bumper and broken lights weren't there before you took delivery?

Reports of gaps and scratches were rampant. Now with the Model 3 issues, Tesla sure is pushing through a lot of stuff...

I keed I keed

Absolutely sure! A teen girl rear ended me and the damage was obvious

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 351
Nightmare new owner dream. Don't know about others but after having read a few stories on here of people getting hit while driving their new car home, I know I was thinking about it after picking our car up.

So sorry it happened to you and glad it doesn't sound bad. Yes the display will show when your brake lights are illuminated during regen braking. If at a complete stop and your foot is on the actual brake pedal you should be lit up. I've been rear ended while everyone including the offending driver were stopped in line. Just the dumbest things to happen especially in my case since we were all stopped to begin with. What was your situation? So both of your taillights broken? What kind of vehicle hit you to do that?

It would be nice if you could followup with how much the repair ends up being. Hope your wait isn't long. Man that sucks though.

My guess would be that minor fender benders are fairly common right after folks have picked up new cars from any manufacturer. After all, the driver is trying to get used to the car and its controls (same thing when someone gets a rental car). That said, I wonder if they are a bit more common for Teslas since the RB takes some getting used to and is quite different from how one normally uses the gas and brake pedals.

What could be sadder than to have your brand new perfect car smashed after only 2 hours? Luckily it wasn't bad enough that anyone was hurt, but the black bumper was dented in and both lights broken. Last year, in my model S, I was rear ended in a similar stop and go traffic situation. I wonder, when letting up off the gas, do the break lights go on? I hardly use the breaks because the car slows enough without pressing them, and I am wondering if people behind me see that I am slowing. If the break lights don't go on when letting off the pedal, maybe Tesla should incorporate this into the system. I think 2 rear end accidents in a year is uncommon, even in the Bay Area. And I have never been rear ended before owning Tesla Cars :(
I am very sorry. My first X was also hit in the back while we were at/leaving a stop light. My repair shop did a great job but I had some dents above the bumper too.

I now have a bumper guard on my 2nd Model X. See pictures here: Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

Ouch!! Just hearing about your situation is gut wrenching.... This is exactly why I installed my tow ball at the time of delivery before leaving the Rocklin store. Fortunately no one in your case was hurt and that's the most important thing. It is unfortunate to have things happen to your vehicle however old or new. FWIW, within a month of owning my Model X, I was subjected to a hit an run, where my driver side wheel well trim and fender were damaged. Then 3 weeks later while driving to the Bay area from Sacramento, on I-5 S, a branch flew across and dented my hood.. :- (. Not happy at all about stuff happening to my cars... but it's something we have to learn to cope with.
I hope your damages are fixed to perfection and you have your car back soon.

People seem to tailgate EVs more than ICE vehicles. An NRA decal has solved this issue for me. People may hate me, but at least they don't tailgate. :D
I noticed that people tailgate more even on the highway, but in part that is from my keeping a safe (ie normal) distance with AP b/w the car in front of me and my car. So the car behind me assumes i'm slow and starts to tail gate. (the second rule of AP driving is that one cannot go faster than the car directly in front).

To mitigate the tail gating, i've put the trailer hitch on...

I do think the brake lights don't turn on enough. If let up on the accelerator slightly to slowly come to a stop, I never see the brake lights turn on until toward the end. I usually have to let up completely to get the brake lights to flash or I tap the brake pedal to make sure the person behind me knows I'm slowing down.

I do think the brake lights don't turn on enough. If let up on the accelerator slightly to slowly come to a stop, I never see the brake lights turn on until toward the end. I usually have to let up completely to get the brake lights to flash or I tap the brake pedal to make sure the person behind me knows I'm slowing down.

Not sure where to go on this one, I see it every which way. Sometimes behind a Tesla I feel like I'm constantly getting brake-checked. Next time no brake lights and
I'm hitting the brakes to avoid rear ending. Annoying!

If you slightly/ gradually release the accelerator, then no break light because the car thinks you are still accelerating (slowly). I usually release the accelerator completely to have the break light on. Btw, I never use my break unless I need to stop at a traffic light or stop sign. I think my break will last forever.

• Disagree
Reactions: hacer