Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, first post here and happy to join the forum.
I just received my 2021 Model Y performance 3 days ago. I really love the car and driving it is amazing, I also love the looks, the technology, and did I say no more gasoline?
However, as I have found out the hard way, the customer service from Tesla is poor. I understand the platform of trying to be techie and modern but it would be nice to sometimes be able to speak to another human being. Everything is done through emails and the app, which is cool, but to me gets annoying.
Also the quality control is questionable. The car was delivered with a tear on the passenger's seat, and less than 24 H later the rear spoiler is coming off and part of a rubber trim is coming off. What a disappointment!!.. yes, I made an appointment through the app to have service fix it.
The delivery of the car was also poor, they basically told me to go watch the videos and learn how to use the car. I have never driven a Tesla so the whole system was completely new to me.
lastly, I definitely miss the top 360 degree rear view camera from my BMW 550. Makes parallel parking so much easier.
Anyway, I hope Tesla corrects these issues. I was thinking on buying a model 3 for my wife but I am not sure anymore.

Reactions: rchivert and GVDang
Congrats on the car!

I got mine recently too and I think a lot of the cars are hit or misses still. Although I didnt find anything particularly wrong with mine I know a lot of them are still not consistent in built quality.

I didnt have too much issues with the service centers Ive been to but I know they have to improve on their service platform fast to catch up with the amount of cars they are pumping out

I just received my 2021 Model Y performance 3 days ago. I really love the car and driving it is amazing, I also love the looks, the technology, and did I say no more gasoline?
However, as I have found out the hard way, the customer service from Tesla is poor. I understand the platform of trying to be techie and modern but it would be nice to sometimes be able to speak to another human being. Everything is done through emails and the app, which is cool, but to me gets annoying.
Also the quality control is questionable. The car was delivered with a tear on the passenger's seat, and less than 24 H later the rear spoiler is coming off and part of a rubber trim is coming off. What a disappointment!!.. yes, I made an appointment through the app to have service fix it.
The delivery of the car was also poor, they basically told me to go watch the videos and learn how to use the car. I have never driven a Tesla so the whole system was completely new to me.
lastly, I definitely miss the top 360 degree rear view camera from my BMW 550. Makes parallel parking so much easier.
Anyway, I hope Tesla corrects these issues. I was thinking on buying a model 3 for my wife but I am not sure anymore.
Hello ETuesta,

Did you pick up your new MY Performance at the Seaside location? This is probably where I'll pick up mine when it's ready. Glad to hear you love your Y though! Enjoy!

Hello, unfortunate hand-off you got it does vary on location and team, here in FL the sales team is pretty ok and will explain some basics even when they are rushed, hopefully, the service side, will give you some confidence back, as they usually will fix these probs reasonably and are helpful. Besides YouTube, check with your local tesla club, they can also help answer a lot of questions, also here in the forums, although sometimes we can be dicks sometimeso_O, to each other, etc...
A quirk the performance models have is the spoiler, it either sticks perfectly from the new or pulls from the side and losses adhesion. It's a known issue that still plages them, from the Tesla part, they will replace it, I suspect on the Y, it has to do with the more flexible rear hatch metal, one might flex it a bit and it starts stretching the adhesive tape. I'm on my 8th but I got early VIN so I have had my issues but most on the body side, never electronics or the battery motor side, so at least take that as a good thing.
I've never had 360 in any of my previous vehicles so I can't compare, but the rearview camera is pretty good IMO. Do note, get the feel of the turning radius, the rims can be easily curbed as they stand out. Expensive fix. :rolleyes:

As for the wife, mine took over mine loved it more than her Subaru, she ended getting another Y for her. If you decide to get another one, try and avoid the beginning and end of qtr sales especially 1st and 4th qtrs and the priority is sales and time is of "essence".

Congrats on the car!

I got mine recently too and I think a lot of the cars are hit or misses still. Although I didnt find anything particularly wrong with mine I know a lot of them are still not consistent in built quality.

I didnt have too much issues with the service centers Ive been to but I know they have to improve on their service platform fast to catch up with the amount of cars they are pumping out
A lot has to do with the build cycle, if it's nearing the end of qtr, sales, the pressure mounts to make more and more and things happen. Hopefully once Berlin and Texas are up, the quality should significantly improve.

Got my 2021 model 7 seat y last month...1st new car in 16 years!

A few minor issues with the paint and stuff but service fixed it. Build quality is as suspected kinda iffy in that there are a lot of creaks when I drive. Hoping that it settles down after I finish breaking it in over the first 1k miles or so.

Questions for the community:
1) why is the s scheduled charging time grayed out? I can only use departure time.
2) any floor mats available for 3rd row?

Hello, unfortunate hand-off you got it does vary on location and team, here in FL the sales team is pretty ok and will explain some basics even when they are rushed, hopefully, the service side, will give you some confidence back, as they usually will fix these probs reasonably and are helpful. Besides YouTube, check with your local tesla club, they can also help answer a lot of questions, also here in the forums, although sometimes we can be dicks sometimeso_O, to each other, etc...
A quirk the performance models have is the spoiler, it either sticks perfectly from the new or pulls from the side and losses adhesion. It's a known issue that still plages them, from the Tesla part, they will replace it, I suspect on the Y, it has to do with the more flexible rear hatch metal, one might flex it a bit and it starts stretching the adhesive tape. I'm on my 8th but I got early VIN so I have had my issues but most on the body side, never electronics or the battery motor side, so at least take that as a good thing.
I've never had 360 in any of my previous vehicles so I can't compare, but the rearview camera is pretty good IMO. Do note, get the feel of the turning radius, the rims can be easily curbed as they stand out. Expensive fix. :rolleyes:

As for the wife, mine took over mine loved it more than her Subaru, she ended getting another Y for her. If you decide to get another one, try and avoid the beginning and end of qtr sales especially 1st and 4th qtrs and the priority is sales and time is of "essence".

The overhead view is really fantastic. My Bolt has it (one of the advantages of the Bolt over Tesla – yes, there are some!) and it makes squeezing into a tight parking spot so much easier. I think the Tesla cameras provide full coverage, in which case it's just a software question. I had heard they were going to add it to the FSD package but I don't think it's happened yet. (Still not enough to make me pay $10k for that!)

Thanks everyone for the comments, the car does run fantastic but the minor issues are annoying.
Before going for the Y I was considering on either the new Audi S5, BMW 540 or the new Corvette. then I drove the Y and I was sold.. haha

Orion, I actually had it delivered to my home in Carmel but I think picking it up from the dealer is a better option. Also the turning and dimensions are different, hard to explain but you will see so be careful as you get used to the car, don't want to catch those beautiful wheels.

Also the overhead view camera is amazing, I do have the FSD and still not available, hopefully it is available soon.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Thanks everyone for the comments, the car does run fantastic but the minor issues are annoying.
Before going for the Y I was considering on either the new Audi S5, BMW 540 or the new Corvette. then I drove the Y and I was sold.. haha

Orion, I actually had it delivered to my home in Carmel but I think picking it up from the dealer is a better option. Also the turning and dimensions are different, hard to explain but you will see so be careful as you get used to the car, don't want to catch those beautiful wheels.

Also the overhead view camera is amazing, I do have the FSD and still not available, hopefully it is available soon.
Thanks for the info, ETuesta, appreciate it!