Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received car 10 days ago. Performance with 21" Uberturbines.
On first full charge got under 130miles range, driving in sport mode, having fun. I'm in CA.
On second charge, driving in Chill mode, really frustratingly cautious and using everything to save power, currently at 130 miles with ~23% battery to go.
Called Tesla, they ran remote diagnostics, said everything is OK.
But this is clearly not OK. This is horrible!!!
I had a model S and at least got reliable mileage at about 80% of what was claimed. I am aware of all energy trainers and have everything, including AC off. Roads empty due to current situation so I can only ask WTF???

Super disappointing, I hope you are able to determine the cause and correct it. Have you been able to confirm you are charging the full 75KW?

Either you have e-brake partially stuck or we are not getting a clear picture of the data.

1. show the consumption since last charge by changing the cards marked with 1 below
2. switch from "Instant" to "Average" to get useful data out of the power graph. (marked as 2)
3. also, show the tire pressure card.

upload_2020-5-5_11-2-26.png

I’m not doing that great on range..

Performance PUP 21 inch wheels

I seem to be averaging 325-350 wh. 70-75% efficiency

This is with somewhat normal driving..if i push it hard the peaks go crazy high 900 on the graphs...

350 wh was today and really wasn’t driving heavy at all simply 50-65 mph on normal roads in the rain today....

Something wrong??/

Thank you all for a very interesting discussion here.
Unfortunately, my test did not yield (much) better results.
Before I hooked up to a supercharger (in car now) I got only 153 miles using 53kWh averaging 344 Wh/mi. My projected remaining range was 30 miles.
All in all, this is beyond worrisome.
I know I do not drive with a led foot. I have all energy guzzlers turned off. I commute 85% freeway 15% urban driving 5 days a week (this is how I tested).
I'm going to reach out to Tesla to try and get some clarity as to what is going on but this is surely not normal.
Still, I like the car for what it is, a fast, fancy electric toy.
Hopefully the rest of you won't have these issues. I wish you safe driving and much enjoyment with your Y's.

nemoj tako brzo da vozis :).

All the best and i hope you can solve your issue ASAP.

OP,
Can you have somebody else take your car for a drive and see what numbers they end up with? Do you know anybody, preferably another Tesla owner, who could help you out? They could compare the ride and numbers from their Tesla to what they see in your Tesla for another data point of reference. Maybe they will notice something that you did not. First thing I'd have them check is no regen and how well it coasts.

Also, when doing all these tests, how much extra weight is in the car? Just you the driver or are there passengers and cargo too? I'm 6'3 and just north of 280 lbs, so I do not expect my numbers in an empty car to be as good as say somebody who is 5'4 and 110 lbs. Perhaps it does not matter, but I'd hazard a guess that there is a cost to hauling around that extra weight and it would show up in the wh being reported.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thank you all for your input.
Been away for a while to regroup and give my Y some time....however not much changed for the better.
I had numerous hardware issues, latest of which are random stereo and really all sound loss (including signal and emergency light and all chimes), my replacement windshield not being installed right which caused my right windshield wiper to constantly hit top edge of the hood chipping paint (movile service technician noticed this during the visit to replace my wireless charging pad) and also dead windshield wiper pump.
I will say that I'm getting just north of 70% efficiency which is better than about 60% I was getting initially. I also feel that one of the fix updates pushed on my car to fix sound issues may have slightly raised my car (more room between wheels and chassis).
Still, nowhere close to 200 miles on full charge.
My next service is this Friday...

Reactions: Jabbahop
Thank you all for your input.
Been away for a while to regroup and give my Y some time....however not much changed for the better.
I had numerous hardware issues, latest of which are random stereo and really all sound loss (including signal and emergency light and all chimes), my replacement windshield not being installed right which caused my right windshield wiper to constantly hit top edge of the hood chipping paint (movile service technician noticed this during the visit to replace my wireless charging pad) and also dead windshield wiper pump.
I will say that I'm getting just north of 70% efficiency which is better than about 60% I was getting initially. I also feel that one of the fix updates pushed on my car to fix sound issues may have slightly raised my car (more room between wheels and chassis).
Still, nowhere close to 200 miles on full charge.
My next service is this Friday...

Do you have TeslaFi or anything that can show historical data on efficiency? If it is truly an issue with the car would be good to show that to Telsa. Getting less then 200 miles on a full charge is a major issue. I am getting great efficiency now on my MY PUP even with 21" wheels. Most trips these days are in the 275wh/m range, depending on the drive and how heavy my right foot is it could dip below 250 or above 300 but that's just normal. Right now TeslaFI says my total lifetime wh/m is about 290, I attribute the higher number though to driving with a lead foot a lot when I first got it.

Also if the car has numerous issues that cause numerous trips to the service center look up your local lemon laws.

Sorry your having so many issues :( I certainly have had a few, luckily none major.

This was from my trip from Ohio -> Georgia. Clear skies, 74-85F from start to end of trip, 75mph when possible expect construction and set the AC at 72F.

7oBGRBcOZTazUXwmhz2xl7ZcLwIQyQUHzQ6F0JqnTOm5ZbVsIAenNWr2fzLIuxK8SVgk5BUFbU8eZQNnWmjHwj3J2M2aQqMBFeJLeBTZEMKcG6wnL28_K6924yUlT5IPKHCbZRF2_BvsuHxcMcfCVmED_K0egrXgeAGquR0JB85gLn-3qLD7vuMsS8xaOuMI60-lCHofg0kooejmWAFNPr9DyJSyI6MsLL7XqR1GfpJzc2IEallBEccT0sOakz3eGh1ubyU_ESB6eETRjWfjdSBsca0GzoPng3o0cD-MD3vRIHCUEL-WoLRix6Hd4TECjCAEcGC0dmwJwpYHSJ3MlJ3JzVSMWTZIFU20tfdgaA7L3Z4DCbxQeds393U3SSA_nrZRZNKM_YV5Gxo9PcHjTe6xMJ0M6HAy2ewtZoLE8iM8vPNhQOxhs9YDx16KSXnuAXg9e8-SWGI2wIw7VyQ8w_IgwZwiNJo-nzQJzV1LFT7Ushjaz-rowUns_7vpEaFeOSMPFVvrf3MyHeJhoi82RZtmgR-MOcThwEnq6wP8zVT-WhL9nhVcmTNxA98SH-d3wN4LVsXaEwlLXPnYZLhERZtZiqjDnJv0D-XeiD3pyvhauh82N4A7tCwMoU8SXeMwGxyux5hzgTFlHUqssxHrJfsaSL5tO-go-GUTOEA4Llvs6LyhgWLzmYYoi6iSCf4=w973-h1297-no

This was for the round trip, however I forget to reset it until about 100 miles in, plus this includes driving family around to show them the car.

tM6WBjmEV6i8c8kbiIH2hMvMqcJteooPSbc1S-mldWi4jFc-AMQ7jmDARgWZ3Gt63HArheZucOuaWQ8kmvh8Ir05cBHHXxE2a6TiFyVM5dXERmzP0UCrZ_84yd6m3cwxCPTR2hU9l_wy0za4rGXBjujSIwv1Y6UVJWRcYGssfImObw95ruzxUqKy9r5GYl6oad0Y7QFZFbkmV9Vt0Ey7w1iUmbd5E4HbPKJ825NPCO5YueOlQwEfssFBCkOQiMJ2SOBiZR3Pk-jytH1fKvm7GB0JMnaTs9_KShd2nqxMIjy6o-mGsrhYvE5ezBxkqiYz7ptgm8yJSO0Fo-kAt70BjT4bbaY_1ggwgVq877yrqQvbxCIvBF64xDfbC8cbdLud5aNrsmMH2ufRQ6edOWJoccWBzl8MptQUyqxfFvGl36gYQ1K6vHkLCshs2c2-_56m0798wHrDo751-pSSj93I2-oJExhqtovZUIIhvTJ71t0LKWmNnZ0bG7TVrP2MWsLT3TOlL6DRF5p_ID2ztWEgCG8JNc0R9_duXFPtnCC4p_0ApFleR_i5PFjN-yxVbXWDzk3vaucZkCdgTIPIyajpFlPfL1pDbevHAwaXS64GDDB7Ycv3rH1JMyKV8PcOSxcQbwDFM1AMnu_1zTo-ZmZSAZlbJoeHgP11m6Vlz_DzlMbQNMb9e-WgAqCg0GL75_M=w973-h1297-no

This was from my trip from Ohio -> Georgia. Clear skies, 74-85F from start to end of trip, 75mph when possible expect construction and set the AC at 72F.

7oBGRBcOZTazUXwmhz2xl7ZcLwIQyQUHzQ6F0JqnTOm5ZbVsIAenNWr2fzLIuxK8SVgk5BUFbU8eZQNnWmjHwj3J2M2aQqMBFeJLeBTZEMKcG6wnL28_K6924yUlT5IPKHCbZRF2_BvsuHxcMcfCVmED_K0egrXgeAGquR0JB85gLn-3qLD7vuMsS8xaOuMI60-lCHofg0kooejmWAFNPr9DyJSyI6MsLL7XqR1GfpJzc2IEallBEccT0sOakz3eGh1ubyU_ESB6eETRjWfjdSBsca0GzoPng3o0cD-MD3vRIHCUEL-WoLRix6Hd4TECjCAEcGC0dmwJwpYHSJ3MlJ3JzVSMWTZIFU20tfdgaA7L3Z4DCbxQeds393U3SSA_nrZRZNKM_YV5Gxo9PcHjTe6xMJ0M6HAy2ewtZoLE8iM8vPNhQOxhs9YDx16KSXnuAXg9e8-SWGI2wIw7VyQ8w_IgwZwiNJo-nzQJzV1LFT7Ushjaz-rowUns_7vpEaFeOSMPFVvrf3MyHeJhoi82RZtmgR-MOcThwEnq6wP8zVT-WhL9nhVcmTNxA98SH-d3wN4LVsXaEwlLXPnYZLhERZtZiqjDnJv0D-XeiD3pyvhauh82N4A7tCwMoU8SXeMwGxyux5hzgTFlHUqssxHrJfsaSL5tO-go-GUTOEA4Llvs6LyhgWLzmYYoi6iSCf4=w973-h1297-no

This was for the round trip, however I forget to reset it until about 100 miles in, plus this includes driving family around to show them the car.

tM6WBjmEV6i8c8kbiIH2hMvMqcJteooPSbc1S-mldWi4jFc-AMQ7jmDARgWZ3Gt63HArheZucOuaWQ8kmvh8Ir05cBHHXxE2a6TiFyVM5dXERmzP0UCrZ_84yd6m3cwxCPTR2hU9l_wy0za4rGXBjujSIwv1Y6UVJWRcYGssfImObw95ruzxUqKy9r5GYl6oad0Y7QFZFbkmV9Vt0Ey7w1iUmbd5E4HbPKJ825NPCO5YueOlQwEfssFBCkOQiMJ2SOBiZR3Pk-jytH1fKvm7GB0JMnaTs9_KShd2nqxMIjy6o-mGsrhYvE5ezBxkqiYz7ptgm8yJSO0Fo-kAt70BjT4bbaY_1ggwgVq877yrqQvbxCIvBF64xDfbC8cbdLud5aNrsmMH2ufRQ6edOWJoccWBzl8MptQUyqxfFvGl36gYQ1K6vHkLCshs2c2-_56m0798wHrDo751-pSSj93I2-oJExhqtovZUIIhvTJ71t0LKWmNnZ0bG7TVrP2MWsLT3TOlL6DRF5p_ID2ztWEgCG8JNc0R9_duXFPtnCC4p_0ApFleR_i5PFjN-yxVbXWDzk3vaucZkCdgTIPIyajpFlPfL1pDbevHAwaXS64GDDB7Ycv3rH1JMyKV8PcOSxcQbwDFM1AMnu_1zTo-ZmZSAZlbJoeHgP11m6Vlz_DzlMbQNMb9e-WgAqCg0GL75_M=w973-h1297-no

Can you try to post the images again? They aren't there but sound very interesting.

The OP already had a Model S so he's likely already aware of the obvious things that affect efficiency. This is definitely an outlier.

The talk about Sentry Mode and vampire losses are valid, but those don't show in the consumption numbers and his numbers are quite high. It seems to me that his battery is 75kWh (or thereabouts) but it's his consumption that's killing the range.

I had several thoughts which were already mentioned. One that wasn't is I wonder if your heat pump is stuck running on high. Does the car make any noise when in drive but not moving?

Regarding the stuck-parking brake idea, do they make a normal sound when you put in Park and in Drive? Any way to have someone listen to both rear wheels to make sure they sound okay?

Best of luck finding the problem.

Admittedly we have a lead foot -- 900+ consumption on accelerations and ave 365kw/mi with the first 200 miles so far; but having fun with the car at the moment. standard settings on the regular rims too.

There's a bit of vampire drain with sentry mode and climate overheating so turned those off at home settings for now.

For point of reference; our Model 3 of 50k RWD does about 350kw/mi on Pilot 4S tires. the OEM tires were about 325kw/mi.