Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking back in...
My service did not produce any real solutions. Tesla did remote diagnostics again and said all is good. Wipers were fixed but they did not bother to fix chipped hood paint. Phone charger still doesn't work and the tech said it was charging his iPhone so I guess I'm SOL.
As far as the heat pump issue, that's the only thing that makes sense as the brakes are certainly not the issue. I would have heard/smelled something by now.
One thing I do notice is that my A/C takes a while to kick in. I mean something like 15 miles before its blowing cold air. Also, something that I can only describe as "deep breathing" noise every once in a while (like a deep breath in followed by a breath out). It is really loud and I didn't know whether it was normal or not and never reported it. My worst mileage on about a 250 mile charge (I charged to 90%) was 150 miles with remaining range under 10 miles and the car freaking out.
Any input would be appreciated as I have pretty much given up on this car ever giving me even 75% efficiency as some here are reporting.
As some have said, any acceleration puts me above 900Wh, I am able to normalize consumption with cruise mode to just above 280 Wh but it takes good 10+ miles on flat straight road to get there. This coincides with AC starting to blow cold air...
Thats it for now.
My AC starts blowing cold air in 10 seconds. Yesterday, when parked I check inside temperature and it was 100. Turned on A/C Remotely and in exactly one minute mark temperature was 71F. Something doesn’t sound right with your A/C.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Thank you all for a very interesting discussion here.
Unfortunately, my test did not yield (much) better results.
Before I hooked up to a supercharger (in car now) I got only 153 miles using 53kWh averaging 344 Wh/mi. My projected remaining range was 30 miles.
All in all, this is beyond worrisome.
I know I do not drive with a led foot. I have all energy guzzlers turned off. I commute 85% freeway 15% urban driving 5 days a week (this is how I tested).
I'm going to reach out to Tesla to try and get some clarity as to what is going on but this is surely not normal.
Still, I like the car for what it is, a fast, fancy electric toy.
Hopefully the rest of you won't have these issues. I wish you safe driving and much enjoyment with your Y's.
Did you try the function on settings -> Driving -> ECO MODE
I'm alwas on this mode is not the CHILL MODE IS ECO MODE and I'm arrived on destination everytime with more than forcasted

As I mentioned in another thread, my Model Y range is very good. This is two round trip commutes, no hypermiling. If 74 kWh is correct, that's 314 miles. (AWD. 19", covers on, almost all highway driving a mix of 60, 70, and 74 MPH.)
20200707_205421.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
I have a 3 week old MY LR w/20's. About 800 miles. I am averaging around 310 wh/mi, so Cal, not aggressive driving, more local than highway. And mostly on Chill mode. So 310 kinda sucks and my estimated range for my typical driving is somewhere in the 230-240 max range...WAY less than 316 rating. I have read many dozens of posts on this issue and starting to think the 20's have a meaningful impact on wh/mi given many 19" owners speak about decent wh/mi. Does anyone know if anyone has done testing on 19 vs 20 vs 21? That would be very interesting to see...I have read plenty about the 21's hurting mileage but not much about the 20's...

I have the same car and based in the Bay. I was really disappointed with the range as well. I get about 250 miles on a 90% charge.

Received car 10 days ago. Performance with 21" Uberturbines.
On first full charge got under 130miles range, driving in sport mode, having fun. I'm in CA.
On second charge, driving in Chill mode, really frustratingly cautious and using everything to save power, currently at 130 miles with ~23% battery to go.
Called Tesla, they ran remote diagnostics, said everything is OK.
But this is clearly not OK. This is horrible!!!
I had a model S and at least got reliable mileage at about 80% of what was claimed. I am aware of all energy trainers and have everything, including AC off. Roads empty due to current situation so I can only ask WTF???

I have the same car and based in the Bay. I was really disappointed with the range as well. I get about 250 miles on a 90% charge.
250 miles on a 90% charge would extrapolate out to 278 miles on 100% charge. That's pretty good considering it was rated at 280 miles up until a couple weeks ago.

When we swapped out our uberturbines, we had to get Tesla to send an update and then the car showed 315 miles range on 20" wheels. The new 291 mile range probably only requires a similar update.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Received car 10 days ago. Performance with 21" Uberturbines.

On first full charge got under 130miles range, driving in sport mode, having fun. I'm in CA.
On second charge, driving in Chill mode, really frustratingly cautious and using everything to save power, currently at 130 miles with ~23% battery to go.
Called Tesla, they ran remote diagnostics, said everything is OK.
But this is clearly not OK. This is horrible!!!
I had a model S and at least got reliable mileage at about 80% of what was claimed. I am aware of all energy trainers and have everything, including AC off. Roads empty due to current situation so I can only ask WTF???

I purchased my MY 3 weeks ago in Massachusetts. On an 85% charge, the car indicates apprx. 278 miles. It's been very hot so the a/c runs constantly. We are getting appx. 190 to 210 miles out of such a charge. This is approx 70% of the vehicle stated mileage. I do not understand why your mileage is so low could only speculate that it needs service of some kind. Temperature, driving conditions, how you drive, and other electricity drawing functions such as air conditioning make a big difference. Still your mileage is exceptionally low.

I read the whole thread from start to finish. For a perspective (delivery day on July 29) owner, this is all very interesting.

1. To OP - I am sorry for your struggles. It sounds to me like your car has a problem that isn't being addressed with service appointments. Very disheartening. I hope you get it fixed.

2. A lot of folks on here didn't (appear to) share their tire size when they shared the Wh/mile... but when they did, it seemed like most of the "higher cited" (280, 300, 310, etc) numbers were with 20" or 21" tires... and most of the "high range" (250ish, 260ish, etc) stats came from the 19" gemini wheels...

This will be my first ever EV, and the #1 reason why I opted for the 19" Gemini wheels was range-anxiety... really really hoping that I too end up getting something closer to 250 or 260 than 300 or 310 (and not at the expense of completely turning the A/C off)...

Reactions: Lobstahz
You know what's even better? How little $$$ you're paying for those (s)miles.

I've gone ~500 miles and spent $33 at Superchargers and $10 at ChargePoint (actual <$5). My gasser takes premium and I pay $60 for ~300 miles.

Cost wise that's actually not that good at all. You can buy 19 gallons of gas for that price in NY. You are getting the equivalent of a 26mpg car.

Cost wise that's actually not that good at all. You can buy 19 gallons of gas for that price in NY. You are getting the equivalent of a 26mpg car.
You're jury rigging by selecting a low gas price (for now!) example.

But you're right that the price of Supercharging has significantly increased in the past two years, and in some places it's like buying $3.50/gal gasoline.

However, gasoline is at very low prices right now. That will not last.

You're jury rigging by selecting a low gas price (for now!) example.

But you're right that the price of Supercharging has significantly increased in the past two years, and in some places it's like buying $3.50/gal gasoline.

However, gasoline is at very low prices right now. That will not last.

I did you're right but right now my girlfriend's gas car has a significantly better dollars per mile than the Tesla. Gas needs to go up a lot for me to catch up because my electric is expensive. I am pretty sure I would need $4-$5 a gallon. It's not going to happen since we are largely moving away from fuel worldwide. I actually expect the cost of electric to go higher or our registration to go up. States need to make up the lost gas tax. I do think the 0 maintenance time and cost offsets the electric cost though. My girlfriends alternator went out so fixing that and her oil changes put her as more costly than the Tesla overall this year.

I still like driving my car more though but I see no cost saving over fuel if you have a fuel efficient car.