Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am getting 297wh/mile after 768 miles driven.

this comes out to about 244 miles of range - if i did that right. (is 72.5k battery the right number?)
i dont have performance version so was looking forward to something closer to rated 315.

20in induction wheels, driving in massachusetts, not too cold, usually turn the heat off anyway.
Sure i had to test the acceleration but that was maybee 10 times for merging/passing.
about 50% highway - set to 70-71 most of the time.

was hoping for better.....

EV range improves considerably in warmer weather, regardless of HVAC usage. If this is your first electric you might be pleased as things warm up.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
i am getting 297wh/mile after 768 miles driven.

this comes out to about 244 miles of range - if i did that right. (is 72.5k battery the right number?)
i dont have performance version so was looking forward to something closer to rated 315.

20in induction wheels, driving in massachusetts, not too cold, usually turn the heat off anyway.
Sure i had to test the acceleration but that was maybee 10 times for merging/passing.

was hoping for better.....

You might be driving with a pretty heavy right foot... I have the performance with the 21" wheels and have averaged 304 wh/m since new... With a heavy right foot. Just drove a 26 mile loop with lots of hills. Half freeway. I drove normally, just not with a heavy right foot. I averaged 268 wh/m

EPA rating assumes you drive much slower than 70 mph.

For example, the EPA highway test cycle averages 48 mph with a max of 60 mph.
hwfetdds.gif

Detailed Test Information

Wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed, so at 70 mph ( much higher than test conditions) you are never going to come close to the EPA rating.

Reactions: Nakk
You might be driving with a pretty heavy right foot... I have the performance with the 21" wheels and have averaged 304 wh/m since new... With a heavy right foot. Just drove a 26 mile loop with lots of hills. Half freeway. I drove normally, just not with a heavy right foot. I averaged 268 wh/m

yes - this is what bothers me, spent quite a bit of time trying to drive normally and never approach 268 wh/m. My numbers are not as bad as OP......but still not close to most other reports i have read.

EPA rating assumes you drive much slower than 70 mph.

For example, the EPA highway test cycle averages 48 mph with a max of 60 mph.
View attachment 532071

Detailed Test Information

Wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed, so at 70 mph ( much higher than test conditions) you are never going to come close to the EPA rating.

understood - would expect some degradation from 55 to 70.
I am getting about 77% of rated range - too much of a hit.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Unfortunately the physics of air resistance is not something Tesla can get around.

70^2/55^2=1.6

Air resistance at 70 mph is 60% greater than the air resistance at 55 MPH.

True. It's a good thing the range doesn't drop at nearly that rate as speed increases. Keep in mind that while the force from wind increases with the square of speed, the extra energy needed per mile due to this loss is linear (70 MPH will take 27% less time to get there than 55 MPH).

Figuring the MY will be similar to the M3P with 20" wheels, the range will drop around 1-(274/353) = 22% when increasing from 55 to 70 MPH. I really like the table below to help understand real ranges at different speeds and configurations.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Last edited:
True. It's a good thing the range doesn't drop at nearly that rate as speed increases. Keep in mind that while the force from wind increases with the square of speed, the extra energy needed per mile due to this loss is linear (70 MPH will take 27% less time to get there than 55 MPH).

Figuring the MY will be similar to the M3P with 20" wheels, the range will drop around 1-(274/353) = 22% when increasing from 55 to 70 MPH. I really like the table below to help understand real ranges at different speeds and configurations.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

thanks for that link - informative.

Thats alot of data. I'll take it.

Still concerned my vehicle is not near all that close to 274 range @70mph normal driving.

larger concern is normal suburban driving (minimal traffic) ....which will be 80% of my use.

I see a result like post #4 here Y AWD with induction vs Gemini Range? with 230-250wh/m result. never come close to so far, on local non-highway driving. I show in 300 range for non-highway - non heavy foot short trips.

Sure that guy is rolling around houston, and it is hotter than MA. Also flat i would guess. MA is a whole bunch of small hills. Still....

Thank you all for a very interesting discussion here.
Unfortunately, my test did not yield (much) better results.
Before I hooked up to a supercharger (in car now) I got only 153 miles using 53kWh averaging 344 Wh/mi. My projected remaining range was 30 miles.
All in all, this is beyond worrisome.
I know I do not drive with a led foot. I have all energy guzzlers turned off. I commute 85% freeway 15% urban driving 5 days a week (this is how I tested).
I'm going to reach out to Tesla to try and get some clarity as to what is going on but this is surely not normal.
Still, I like the car for what it is, a fast, fancy electric toy.
Hopefully the rest of you won't have these issues. I wish you safe driving and much enjoyment with your Y's.

I am surprised your getting such high wh/mi.. i have a PUP with 21's and here is my data from Teslafi, I wouldn't say I have been easy on it either, I floor it a lot but also did one 100 mile trip at about 70mph, through some east coast mountains no less. I have been very happy with the efficiency I would say. I would say on trips and when I stop having so much fun some ill probably hit 90% efficiency at least which is on par with all my gas cars before, getting about 10% less efficiency then EPA. So Tesla is delivering on expectations imo.

upload_2020-4-21_11-46-43.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately the physics of air resistance is not something Tesla can get around.

70^2/55^2=1.6

Air resistance at 70 mph is 60% greater than the air resistance at 55 MPH.

Wow Great info. I can't do math but am guessing that is a linear equation? So if you add even a moderate headwind to that it totally explains why I get such poor range driving 80 in West Texas eating up 350Kw per mile or more, and great range at 70 or so on I-35 going north south with no wind.

Wow Great info. I can't do math but am guessing that is a linear equation? So if you add even a moderate headwind to that it totally explains why I get such poor range driving 80 in West Texas eating up 350Kw per mile or more, and great range at 70 or so on I-35 going north south with no wind.

Yes the numbers in that equation is your speed relative to the air. So if you head West at 80mph into a 15 mph headwind you would plug 95 into the formula.

95^2/55^2=3

So in that circumstance air resistance is 3x higher than the air resistance at 55 mph with no wind.

Your energy per mile goes up close to linear with speed. 78 MPH takes about 40% more watt hours per mile than 55 MPH.

The wind pushes twice as hard (1.4x1.4), so your motors need twice the power. Twice the power, but you get there in 0.71 times the time, thus only consuming 78/55 (1.4) times the energy.

Naturally, this is simplified, looking only at a wind resistance estimate. That is the dominant factor at highway speeds, so linear energy with speed is close.

Now, headwinds and tailwinds make a bigger impact. They have the same square relationship with motor power, but don't change travel time. Driving 55 MPH into a 23 MPH headwind would consume twice the energy (wh/m) as in still conditions. (Same simplification as above noted.)

Last edited:
this is strange
I drive my MYP like I stole it every chance I get. I also drive it avg 75-80 on the hwy. My lifetime avg is at 310wh/mi so far after 380 miles.
Also, do you have sentry mode on during the day? Other settings like cabin heating left on?
When I leave sentry mode on at work, it will eat up 10-15 miles of energy after 10hrs.
TeslaFi also uses engery. If you plug diagnostic apps to the car's stats, they take statistics of the car and use its energy, so you end up causing the problems being diagnosed. Use sparingly.

Your energy per mile goes up close to linear with speed. 78 MPH takes about 40% more watt hours per mile than 55 MPH.

The wind pushes twice as hard (1.4x1.4), so your motors need twice the power. Twice the power, but you get there in 0.71 times the time, thus only consuming 78/55 (1.4) times the energy.

Naturally, this is simplified, looking only at a wind resistance estimate. That is the dominant factor at highway speeds, so linear energy with speed is close.

Now, headwinds and tailwinds make a bigger impact. They have the same square relationship with motor power, but don't change travel time. Driving 55 MPH into a 23 MPH headwind would consume twice the energy (wh/m) as in still conditions. (Same simplification as above noted.)
If he commutes against the wind, that would be a concern. During COVID, there is an ability to drive faster and thus experience more self-created wind than outside the COVID times.

I noticed my Model S couldn't work as efficiency per "tankful" at high speeds as my Mercedes E500 (although I assume the equivilent BTUs were superior in the electric). Electric cars are extremely sensitive to a lot of factors like wind speed against the car (whether wind from moving or from weather), temperature, acceleration, etc.

Thank you.
I live at sea level and commute around the bay at sea level so elevation won't be a problem.
Tires are on spec. I'll set the AC as per your suggestion.
I say "bingo" to myself. Sea level has lots of anti-electric problems: (1) denser air, (2) moisture in air from sea meaning more resistence in the air, (3) usually the sea is cooler, which means, you guessed it, denser air, plus the battery gets suboptimal temperatures and more heat has to be used to heat the battery, and (4) the sea moisture in the air probably water-cools the battery even more thus causing it to be even further too cold and use more energy to heat it.

That still doesn't rule out some problem.

Maybe have a sense of how dense the air is. When you stand outside the car, swoop your arm wave your hand through the air regular-speed (slowly, not too fast) and feel the resistence against your arm hand. If you do that every time, eventually, you'll get a sense of the air denseness at that location at that time (but don't throw your arm socket out doing this; I just tried it with my arm and it felt like my arm was getting ripped out of my body; maybe just lightly swing your arm hand, not very fast, and increase your sensitivity, not your speed; I just tried that slowly with my hand waving through the air slowly, and with my hand against the air, I was able to feel the air thickness without ripping my arm out of my body). You can also stick your arm out of the window while driving, but be careful not to have your arm chopped off by a sign, car mirror, truck, motorcycle, tree, bush, or other road diet menaces (and I've seen my mirror chopped off by passing trucks, cars, signs, bushes, and motorcycles enough to recommend you don't stick anything out the window unless you're on a country road with no signs, vehicles, birds, cows, fence posts, plumbing, bridges, hay bales, rocks, telephone poles, or anything else).

Last edited:
My model s "can" get 240 wh/mi driving like a grandma but I average 300+. I have no clue how you are getting so high.
My Model S never got under 325Wh/mile while I drove it the same as my Mercedes. Driving style probably had a lot to do with it. Also, going up and down a 2,000 foot hill with loads of turns twice a day probably didn't add to the milage per energy unit a whole lot.