Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received car 10 days ago. Performance with 21" Uberturbines.
On first full charge got under 130miles range, driving in sport mode, having fun. I'm in CA.
On second charge, driving in Chill mode, really frustratingly cautious and using everything to save power, currently at 130 miles with ~23% battery to go.
Called Tesla, they ran remote diagnostics, said everything is OK.
But this is clearly not OK. This is horrible!!!
I had a model S and at least got reliable mileage at about 80% of what was claimed. I am aware of all energy trainers and have everything, including AC off. Roads empty due to current situation so I can only ask WTF???

Check out this thread on the topic: Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

Seems most folks, myself included are seeing between 290 and 350 wh/m usage. The car seems as good or better than advertised as far as efficiency. It's quite phenomenal actually. We have a performance Model 3 as well and my Performance Y is getting the same consumption and range as the 3 which is very impressive for being a larger car.

I also would be curious to see your consumption graph and average consumption since picking up the car. After about 800 miles I'm sitting right around 330 total average wh/m.

As you know from your previous Tesla I'm sure, it will depend on how you're driving, weather, etc. but if you're getting massive consumption numbers maybe something is off. I would definitely recommend displaying your battery in percentage/energy rather than miles. Imagine viewing your phone battery in minutes remaining... it would be all over the place... browsing the web you'd have 1200 minutes remaining, then you answer a call for 30 minutes and it would drop to 600... :)

15863183039395386300033229610681.jpg Dont know how to upload pics yet but here it is:

Since last charge:
128.8 miles
44kWh
345 Wh/mi
26%battery remaining

Most worrisome number for me here is 44kWh used at 26%battery left. That means that ~75% of my battery is 44kWh. That would make my battery capacity only 60kWh. I thought Y's battery is 70kWh.

Moreover my car was delivered with 73% battery remaining. I charged it once at home and once at supercharger (that's the juice I'm using now).
My "lifetime stats" are:

460.8 mi
168kWh
364 Wh/mi

If someone can help me with direct image upload to my post I will send my energy profile.
Even with "grandma" driving, my usage NEVER drops below 320 Wh/mi (unless on downhill).

This is really frustrating. I believe I may not have the same size battery as the rest of you...

Reactions: Eclectic
View attachment 530203 Dont know how to upload pics yet but here it is:

Since last charge:
128.8 miles
44kWh
345 Wh/mi
26%battery remaining

Most worrisome number for me here is 44kWh used at 26%battery left. That means that ~75% of my battery is 44kWh. That would make my battery capacity only 60kWh. I thought Y's battery is 70kWh.

Moreover my car was delivered with 73% battery remaining. I charged it once at home and once at supercharger (that's the juice I'm using now).
My "lifetime stats" are:

460.8 mi
168kWh
364 Wh/mi

If someone can help me with direct image upload to my post I will send my energy profile.
Even with "grandma" driving, my usage NEVER drops below 320 Wh/mi (unless on downhill).

This is really frustrating. I believe I may not have the same size battery as the rest of you...

Your average wh/mi over the last 30 miles is 321. That’s normal. 364 isn’t outside the realm of possibility either.

There does not appear to be any issue here.

I have mentioned earlier I have charged to 100% (knowing it may not be the best thing to do but had to test due to poor mileage).
@glide, the profile may show good average Wh/mi, but I still won't be getting more than (my estimate) more than 170 -175 miles per full charge and extremely conservative driving. This is certainly not what was advertised by Tesla.
I also had the opportunity to read the thread one of you posted above and it does say that, UNDEE EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES range may drop to 180.
I am by no means living in or putting the vehicle through extreme circumstances.
Also, any comments on the battery capacity? It does not look like I have 70KWh battery based on my output and projected remaining power...

@glide, the profile may show good average Wh/mi, but I still won't be getting more than (my estimate) more than 170 -175 miles per full charge and extremely conservative driving. This is certainly not what was advertised by Tesla.

Remember that the range advertised by Tesla is actually the results of the EPA test suite. So unless you are driving the EPA test suite you aren't going to get the same range.

Reactions: mikes_fsd and Ulmo
I have mentioned earlier I have charged to 100% (knowing it may not be the best thing to do but had to test due to poor mileage).

If you charged to 100%, charging was successfully completed, you have used 44 kWh since last charge, and that put you at 23%, then something is clearly not right for a long range car. FWIW, the average consumption and remaining range prediction made by the energy app on your screenshot are consistent with a ~74 kWh usable battery: (0.23*74000)/321=53.02

I also had the opportunity to read the thread one of you posted above and it does say that, UNDEE EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES range may drop to 180.
I am by no means living in or putting the vehicle through extreme circumstances.
Also, any comments on the battery capacity? It does not look like I have 70KWh battery based on my output and projected remaining power...
170 to 175 miles is pretty bad.

I have a LR AWD with 20 in wheels. Just checked so far driven 330 mi and used 87kWh with 264 Wh/mi. So my calculation is about 284 mi with 100% battery to 0%. My driving is a mixture highway and local. highway speed 65 to 75. Only turn AC on once since weather been pretty nice here in Maryland.

@ilyak, thank you for your answer.
Yeah, the prediction looks right. However, I'm expecting to get one half of that range, at best, before my battery is in dangerous,below 5% zone.
Drove 13 miles to work this morning, 22 miles of "predicted" range gone on 70mph drive on a highway.
Again, I owned a Model S and this NEVER happened with that car. I loved everything about that car. Dont get me wrong, I think Y is amazing, it's just the range that's killing me. Top of the range trim, was expecting at least 230 miles per full charge (based on my S experience) only to get 160-170 while driving like a senior citizen (my apologies for all elderly speed demons out there). Extremely disappointing....

@Klau2, thank you for your response.
I am pretty bummed out and more certain than ever that there is something wrong with my Y.
My biggest beef now is the fact that I dont believe that my battery is 70KWh based on the output per charge. Probably not even 65.
Is there a way to check this other than running the car to 0% and sending this as some kind of proof to Tesla?

@Klau2, thank you for your response.
I am pretty bummed out and more certain than ever that there is something wrong with my Y.
My biggest beef now is the fact that I dont believe that my battery is 70KWh based on the output per charge. Probably not even 65.
Is there a way to check this other than running the car to 0% and sending this as some kind of proof to Tesla?
I guess that's your best proof. Charge it to 100%, set a trip for that. take a picture of the miles and kWh used and Wh/mi when it's close to 0%. Data don't lie!

Drove 13 miles to work this morning, 22 miles of "predicted" range gone on 70mph drive on a highway.

By "predicted", do you mean what is displayed by the Energy app or the "rated" miles displayed next to the battery icon? Either way, this alone would not be abnormal under some conditions: the energy app uses the last 5,15, or 30 miles to predict your range so if your consumption changes quickly, it will overestimate the remaining range, while the "rated" miles are based on a fixed consumption number that comes from the EPA cycle tests. Also note that consumption for the first 20-30 miles after being parked for a while can be quite a bit higher due to lower ambient temperature and the car lumping in idle drain with actual consumption.

I guess that's your best proof. Charge it to 100%, set a trip for that. take a picture of the miles and kWh used and Wh/mi when it's close to 0%. Data don't lie!

Yes, this would be a good way to verify capacity.

Alright.
Thank you both for your input.
Since my battery will be super low by tonight, I plan on charging the car to 100% and documenting everything daily until battery is down to below 5%.
I'm set to prove here that my battery is of lower capacity FIRST so my driving will be pretty "leadfoot-y" to try and deplete battery faster.
If my theory proves right, I won't need to do any additional testing as this will clearly be proven as the source of all my misgivings.
Stay tuned...