Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Plaid compared to my 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if one has a comparison between the new plaid and the outgoing 2019/2020 Performance MS with adaptive suspension?

The OP’s comparison is fantastic but I believe the P100D’s of 2018 had air suspension and not the adaptive? So the comparison of twisty roads etc is actually 2 older iteration of suspension vs brand new.

Anyone own the latest 2019/2020 Performance with adaptive and able to compare in handling to the Plaid? For that matter even 2019/2020 dual motor to new LR…same adaptive suspensions.

Also wonder if one puts 255/285 tires (of the same brand as the new Plaid) on the outgoing 2020 Performance, now how would it handle apples to apples? Hmmm 🤔

For those who are intrigued, I would like to leave a review of how the 2021 Model S Plaid compares to the 2018 P100D. Those who hate tesla, I know you can't help yourself to troll and comment. So have at it
kiss.png

P100D already was able to do a 2.28sec to 60mph and had a lot of luxury amenities. Have the car for another 2 months till lease is up.

Looks: the Plaid has wider tires and extended wheel arches. Like a M3 compared to a 330i. Also the front facia and rear diffuser moldings are more sporty and aggressive looking. When I line the cars up side by side, the difference is pretty staggering in a great way. The blacking out of all the chrome bits, I guess looks better as well, I just dont' really care that much about that like other people do.

Handling: the P100D already handled much better than any other sport sedan I have driven. Not on a track, but on twisties and sweeping on ramps. The speed I can take them was astounding, with the batteries on the floor of the car giving a great center of gravity planted feel. The Plaid with the bigger tires, brakes, wheels and wider stance, has improved to another level.

Yoke steering wheel: Like most reviews, I didn't really like it. I am getting used to it. Mostly dont like the buttons for blinkers and everything else. Taking away the center horn like any other car was a horrible choice. In an emergency you hit that without looking, now its a small button amongst a few others, so you have to look for it. The yoke is much wider than it needs to be and doesn't have speed sensitive steering, like other models. More turning ratio at lower speeds, and less at higher speeds. Or at least the extreme turning ratio that ferrari's have would of been really helpful, to avoid the hand over hand in u-turn or 3 point turnabouts. Plus the turning circle for this car is pretty bad, almost as bad as a truck. I am getting used to the yoke now and kind of like it.

Performance and speed: It literally feels twice as fast as the P100D. At freeway speeds, if you punch it, it feels faster than the P100D does from 0-60. And it never lets off. I went from 80 to 145 in just a quick blip of the throttle the other day. And the regen braking is much better and comes to a complete stop and holds the brake for you at a stop light so you don't have to touch the brake at all, unless needing to stop quicker.
The speed is so insane around town, that even with the much better brakes, you are carrying way too much speed to slow down enough for stoplight and signs. You hit at at 40mph and you are doing 100, and then panic braking. It is kind of stressful and unsettling. At the same time you are laughing and smiling.

With my 14 year old son, we got in the P100D after driving around the Plaid for a few days. Every time I punched it, we both thought is that it. It felt like something was broken with it. And as if it was pulling a pallet of bricks. Nothing was wrong with it, its just our perspective of what feels fast has shifted in a big way.

Interior build quality: Still not up to par with the germans (MB,BMW,Audi,porshce) but so much better than previous models. Its feels like a luxury car and much more sturdy quality control. The double pane windows gives a much more vault like quiet to the cabin. And the noise cancelling system hasn't been uploaded yet, and is supposed to come with a software update soon. The new sound system is really amazing. The set up with storage and looks is a huge upgrade as well.

So far I really love this car as a DD.
One little hint. You don't have to hit that tiny horn button, just slap your palm over the whole right side of the yoke and it will honk. Just like in a panic with a normal wheel but to the right side.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I wonder if one has a comparison between the new plaid and the outgoing 2019/2020 Performance MS with adaptive suspension?

The OP’s comparison is fantastic but I believe the P100D’s of 2018 had air suspension and not the adaptive? So the comparison of twisty roads etc is actually 2 older iteration of suspension vs brand new.

Anyone own the latest 2019/2020 Performance with adaptive and able to compare in handling to the Plaid? For that matter even 2019/2020 dual motor to new LR…same adaptive suspensions.

Also wonder if one puts 255/285 tires (of the same brand as the new Plaid) on the outgoing 2020 Performance, now how would it handle apples to apples? Hmmm 🤔
Great question. Wondering the same.

I wonder what would have happened if, let say, BMW came out with a yoke, and reported how much easier it was to drive. Would everyone be knocking it, or would they be trying it? Seems there's a whole bunch of prejudice going on here. It's obvious the yoke is very drivable, maybe even an improvement.

It’s not just the stupid yoke. it’s also the removal of thr steering column controls. (Not broken, no need to fix it), and other things too.
Taking a step back, I remember turn signals were toggle switches on even older cars. The column stalks are clearly superior but the toggle switches were not broken either. Looking at the evolution of car interior, the stalks were a step forward but had their limitation: mechanical, heavy, hidden from view, etc. They are invented before the modern electronic interfaces are widely adopted. We should applaud Tesla for pushing the industry forward. Chances are 30 years from now, people will look at stalks the same way we look at toggle switches.

That's exactly how I feel. Yoke is kind of cool; the turn signals (and windshield wipers + horn!) are not. I'm hoping once I get the firmware update it will improve signaling quite a bit, while preventing the inadvertent wiper press.
After 2k miles in my Plaid, I'm used to the yoke design for the most part. But the turn signals suck.
From my normal driving position, I can do the following things without any effort at all, and without removing my eyes from the road and without removing my hands from the wheel, or getting my hands crossed up like a pretzel, just like it’s supposed be. Safety first

turn signals
cruise control
drive selector
park
male a call
volume controls
AC controls
text controls
voice commands
energy data
report bugs
windshield wipers
fan controls
look at past call list
tire pressures
horn
drive in the mountains safely and make 3 point turns

and probably more, but I can’t name them all off memory.

this is what a real wheel should look like. It works perfect. Design and feel and function is prefect. We don’t need some nerdy kid fixing what isn’t broken.

Attachments

• 746012CF-F843-4796-ABA6-72EB08460530.jpeg
    746012CF-F843-4796-ABA6-72EB08460530.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 102
From my normal driving position, I can do the following things without any effort at all, and without removing my eyes from the road and without removing my hands from the wheel, or getting my hands crossed up like a pretzel, just like it’s supposed be. Safety first

turn signals
cruise control
drive selector
park
male a call
volume controls
AC controls
text controls
voice commands
energy data
report bugs
windshield wipers
fan controls
look at past call list
tire pressures
horn

this is what a real wheel should look like. It works perfect. Design and feel and function is prefect. We don’t need some nerdy kid fixing what isn’t broken.

I really enjoyed the squared off bottom of the steering wheel on my 2015 STi that was like the above. Not sure about the yoke or even the squircle that the C8 has though. I absolutely adore my P90D but there are times with the giant wheel angled even slightly upward where I feel like I'm steering a semi or a forklift instead of a 2 ton battery missile.

As a first time Tesla owner, I have hit the Autopilot stalk on a few occasions when trying to use the turn signal. I certainly wouldn't want to give up that function because of the mildly frustrating first few weeks of adapting. Hopefully they can iron some things out for all of you poor, suffering souls with Plaids ;)

turn signals
cruise control
drive selector
park
male a call
volume controls
AC controls
text controls
voice commands
energy data
report bugs
windshield wipers
fan controls
look at past call list
tire pressures
horn

Curious as to which of the above functions are not available on the new yoke "wheel"?

which of the above functions are not available on the new yoke "wheel"?
I'm assuming Tesla will add several new functions to the scroll wheels, along with ability to customize the driver's display on left / right sides. Currently the scroll wheels are limited to audio control (volume, pause, mute, skip, reverse) and autopilot (engage, cancel, speed adjust). So as of today the main things that are missing from yoke control / driver's screen from the above list are:

- AC, fan controls
- Energy data access (no option for driver screen display)
- Look at past call list, select, call, hang-up
- Tire pressures (no option for driver screen display)

In addition, you obviously can't use the yoke for drive / park selection. And finally call / text controls can only be accessed through voice commands. FYI, I'm still on 2021.31.103

• Informative
Reactions: Muad'Dib
I do miss being able to change what the right scroll wheel does like I could on my X, and the selectable widgets in the instrument cluster. Some of that could come back with software updates but not everything.

But still loving the yoke and wouldn’t go back.