Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Plaid compared to my 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are intrigued, I would like to leave a review of how the 2021 Model S Plaid compares to the 2018 P100D. Those who hate tesla, I know you can't help yourself to troll and comment. So have at it
kiss.png

P100D already was able to do a 2.28sec to 60mph and had a lot of luxury amenities. Have the car for another 2 months till lease is up.

Looks: the Plaid has wider tires and extended wheel arches. Like a M3 compared to a 330i. Also the front facia and rear diffuser moldings are more sporty and aggressive looking. When I line the cars up side by side, the difference is pretty staggering in a great way. The blacking out of all the chrome bits, I guess looks better as well, I just dont' really care that much about that like other people do.

Handling: the P100D already handled much better than any other sport sedan I have driven. Not on a track, but on twisties and sweeping on ramps. The speed I can take them was astounding, with the batteries on the floor of the car giving a great center of gravity planted feel. The Plaid with the bigger tires, brakes, wheels and wider stance, has improved to another level.

Yoke steering wheel: Like most reviews, I didn't really like it. I am getting used to it. Mostly dont like the buttons for blinkers and everything else. Taking away the center horn like any other car was a horrible choice. In an emergency you hit that without looking, now its a small button amongst a few others, so you have to look for it. The yoke is much wider than it needs to be and doesn't have speed sensitive steering, like other models. More turning ratio at lower speeds, and less at higher speeds. Or at least the extreme turning ratio that ferrari's have would of been really helpful, to avoid the hand over hand in u-turn or 3 point turnabouts. Plus the turning circle for this car is pretty bad, almost as bad as a truck. I am getting used to the yoke now and kind of like it.

Performance and speed: It literally feels twice as fast as the P100D. At freeway speeds, if you punch it, it feels faster than the P100D does from 0-60. And it never lets off. I went from 80 to 145 in just a quick blip of the throttle the other day. And the regen braking is much better and comes to a complete stop and holds the brake for you at a stop light so you don't have to touch the brake at all, unless needing to stop quicker.
The speed is so insane around town, that even with the much better brakes, you are carrying way too much speed to slow down enough for stoplight and signs. You hit at at 40mph and you are doing 100, and then panic braking. It is kind of stressful and unsettling. At the same time you are laughing and smiling.

With my 14 year old son, we got in the P100D after driving around the Plaid for a few days. Every time I punched it, we both thought is that it. It felt like something was broken with it. And as if it was pulling a pallet of bricks. Nothing was wrong with it, its just our perspective of what feels fast has shifted in a big way.

Interior build quality: Still not up to par with the germans (MB,BMW,Audi,porshce) but so much better than previous models. Its feels like a luxury car and much more sturdy quality control. The double pane windows gives a much more vault like quiet to the cabin. And the noise cancelling system hasn't been uploaded yet, and is supposed to come with a software update soon. The new sound system is really amazing. The set up with storage and looks is a huge upgrade as well.

So far I really love this car as a DD.

I was under the impression, not first-hand, that the P100D from 0-30 was slightly faster than the Plaid. Is that not the case?
I need to get someone to drive me old car to race side by side. Otherwise per my butt dyno, the Plaid is faster at all speeds period. I forgot to mention as well, the interior build quality and layout is so much better and nicer. The ride quality is feels much more like a S class benz then previous, but that might be cause the car is so new. This is my third model S and when they get to the last 6 months of lease they seem to feel worn out in all respects. The batteries might last forever, but the car itself doesn't seem to be built so well that it feels like everything is not tight and loose feeling and sounding.

I just traded my late 2016 P100D for a plaid and my initial reaction was similar to yours EXCEPT I'm having a touch of buyers remorse.

The yolk is goofy but I know I can get used to it quickly.

The turn signals are doing me batty. Because of my large hands and old habits, I keep accidentally activating them by accident and then need to find the right button to turn them off. Lane changes on the interstate are still frustrating as you need to push them hard enough to keep them on but then need to find them again to turn them off. I don't have the muscle memory yet and wish the turn signals had more physical cues built in. Raised indicators of direction, indentations so your thumb can find it but not hit it accidentally, and a nice click so you know you got it.

I also REALLY miss being able to control my AC fan with the scroll wheel.

As someone more than two weeks ahead of me in this process, do you find the signals eventually become second nature?

And congratulations!!

I just traded my late 2016 P100D for a plaid and my initial reaction was similar to yours EXCEPT I'm having a touch of buyers remorse.

The yolk is goofy but I know I can get used to it quickly.

The turn signals are doing me batty. Because of my large hands and old habits, I keep accidentally activating them by accident and then need to find the right button to turn them off. Lane changes on the interstate are still frustrating as you need to push them hard enough to keep them on but then need to find them again to turn them off. I don't have the muscle memory yet and wish the turn signals had more physical cues built in. Raised indicators of direction, indentations so your thumb can find it but not hit it accidentally, and a nice click so you know you got it.

I also REALLY miss being able to control my AC fan with the scroll wheel.

As someone more than two weeks ahead of me in this process, do you find the signals eventually become second nature?

And congratulations!!
Nope. Turn signals still suck. I’m 700 miles in, 3.5 weeks. Still have to look down to press them, and even on the odd occasion I don’t look down, I check the dash to make sure I actually pressed the button successfully.

Sigh.

Also, the door release buttons are such a downgrade from the Model 3P. No tactile feedback from those. Why, Tesla? Why?

I only used my scroll wheel to open and close my sunroof, which I loved. I am only pissed that there is not option for that and the horn button placement is crap. I have gotten very used to the lane change indicators, no issue at all after a few days. And really do like the use and feel of the yoke. The interior layout and use is such an impressive upgrade to the older model. I still have my 18' P100D till the end of this month, and periodically will drive it. It feels like utter crap in comparison.
I will say that I rarely give it more than 1/4 throttle. Mostly I do when I give someone a ride. Otherwise, rarely is there a time when it is safe to get on it like that.
I am a car fanatic and have had many different exotic sports cars, but 2 years ago I sold my Mclaren, and have no interest in getting another car like that. I just found myself rarely getting on it, and wondering why I have something like this that I am not utilizing. I have done track days at all the tracks within a 4 hour drive, and just not that appealing anymore.
One day I might change my mind, but this Plaid, makes it even less likely I will want one.

For those who are intrigued, I would like to leave a review of how the 2021 Model S Plaid compares to the 2018 P100D. Those who hate tesla, I know you can't help yourself to troll and comment. So have at it
kiss.png

P100D already was able to do a 2.28sec to 60mph and had a lot of luxury amenities. Have the car for another 2 months till lease is up.

Looks: the Plaid has wider tires and extended wheel arches. Like a M3 compared to a 330i. Also the front facia and rear diffuser moldings are more sporty and aggressive looking. When I line the cars up side by side, the difference is pretty staggering in a great way. The blacking out of all the chrome bits, I guess looks better as well, I just dont' really care that much about that like other people do.

Handling: the P100D already handled much better than any other sport sedan I have driven. Not on a track, but on twisties and sweeping on ramps. The speed I can take them was astounding, with the batteries on the floor of the car giving a great center of gravity planted feel. The Plaid with the bigger tires, brakes, wheels and wider stance, has improved to another level.

Yoke steering wheel: Like most reviews, I didn't really like it. I am getting used to it. Mostly dont like the buttons for blinkers and everything else. Taking away the center horn like any other car was a horrible choice. In an emergency you hit that without looking, now its a small button amongst a few others, so you have to look for it. The yoke is much wider than it needs to be and doesn't have speed sensitive steering, like other models. More turning ratio at lower speeds, and less at higher speeds. Or at least the extreme turning ratio that ferrari's have would of been really helpful, to avoid the hand over hand in u-turn or 3 point turnabouts. Plus the turning circle for this car is pretty bad, almost as bad as a truck. I am getting used to the yoke now and kind of like it.

Performance and speed: It literally feels twice as fast as the P100D. At freeway speeds, if you punch it, it feels faster than the P100D does from 0-60. And it never lets off. I went from 80 to 145 in just a quick blip of the throttle the other day. And the regen braking is much better and comes to a complete stop and holds the brake for you at a stop light so you don't have to touch the brake at all, unless needing to stop quicker.
The speed is so insane around town, that even with the much better brakes, you are carrying way too much speed to slow down enough for stoplight and signs. You hit at at 40mph and you are doing 100, and then panic braking. It is kind of stressful and unsettling. At the same time you are laughing and smiling.

With my 14 year old son, we got in the P100D after driving around the Plaid for a few days. Every time I punched it, we both thought is that it. It felt like something was broken with it. And as if it was pulling a pallet of bricks. Nothing was wrong with it, its just our perspective of what feels fast has shifted in a big way.

Interior build quality: Still not up to par with the germans (MB,BMW,Audi,porshce) but so much better than previous models. Its feels like a luxury car and much more sturdy quality control. The double pane windows gives a much more vault like quiet to the cabin. And the noise cancelling system hasn't been uploaded yet, and is supposed to come with a software update soon. The new sound system is really amazing. The set up with storage and looks is a huge upgrade as well.

So far I really love this car as a DD.
Good review and thanks. I love the speed aspect of these cars. Hate the yoke so I’m out. Unless Crazy Elon remove the yoke and returns the stalk controls (not much of a chance), or is forced to (still hopeful).