Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Plaid compared to my 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would be hard pressed to find someone who has the new model S not like it due to the yoke or the lack of stalks. Yes its something to get used to because we are human and hate change, but thats part of life. The car is such an upgrade and so amazing. People are have quality problems but other than that, the majority absolutely love the car.
I’m sure it’s a great car for the money. Except for the lack of quality control, luxury materials, storage space, and of course the dangerous yoke.

it’s there to see for anyone who has eyes, but I understand why Tesla fanatics can’t see it.

Last edited:
I’d consider the upgrade but the yoke is a deal killer.
I think the yoke may be an intentional demand damper. Elon knows he has limited production capabilities, so why not add a super controversial feature to slow down orders. If Tesla ever needs to boost Model S/X sales, they'll offer a round wheel, for now they are keeping that in their back pockets. If Elon truly believed in the yoke, both Model 3 and Y would be shipping with it today (a cost optimization too) - the fact they are not means he knows it will tank the demand.

I have to mention the most impressive part of this new model, and thats the handling. I have driven the top tier sports sedans (eg. M5), and I would bet it can handle as well or even better. In areas where we have narrow twisty roads, I can take them at speeds comparable to my Mclaren. I just turned in my P100D, and the difference in handling between the 2 models is astounding. Anyone else with the Plaid notice this?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
The new controls are absolute garbage. I love my 2015 Model S more than any car I’ve ever owned. Sadly, it will be my last—Tesla doesn’t give a damn about actual driving anymore.

This is what I don't understand. Tesla makes the fastest production car in the world, almost. It's battery is so low that it gives the car amazing center of gravity, helping it corner and handle so well. But with that said, it's also saying "let the car drive for you." It's so fast and can handle well- sounds fun to drive! Yes, but don't drive it, let it drive you.

Full disclosure, I haven't driven the Plaid or LR with yoke. My thoughts and opinions are purely subjective. I'd love to get into a Plaid in the near future, however, the turn signal stalk removed, makes no sense to me.

Btw, I have AP1, but barely use it. It works well mind you- I just enjoy driving my car. It rides nice and corners well. The torque is amazing. But what do I know, I'm just a knuckle-dragging car nut.

Reactions: TessP100D
I have to mention the most impressive part of this new model, and thats the handling. I have driven the top tier sports sedans (eg. M5), and I would bet it can handle as well or even better. In areas where we have narrow twisty roads, I can take them at speeds comparable to my Mclaren. I just turned in my P100D, and the difference in handling between the 2 models is astounding. Anyone else with the Plaid notice this?
Yes. Supposedly the new suspension and adaptive data really helped, too. I was worried coming from a 3 that the S would feel floaty and boaty, but that's very much not the case at all.

I’m sure it’s a great car for the money. Except for the lack of quality control, luxury materials, storage space, and of course the dangerous yoke.

it’s there to see for anyone who has eyes, but I understand why Tesla fanatics can’t see it.
Odd, my 2017 was fine for quality control, luxury materials and great on storage space.
I am looking forward to trying the yoke.
I just wonder what you are doing here if you don't like the cars Tesla makes?

Odd, my 2017 was fine for quality control, luxury materials and great on storage space.
I am looking forward to trying the yoke.
I just wonder what you are doing here if you don't like the cars Tesla makes?
I own 3 Teslas already. I love Tesla. I am turning against Crazy Elon for some of the dumb things he is doing. Like the YOKE.

I own 3 Teslas already. I love Tesla. I am turning against Crazy Elon for some of the dumb things he is doing. Like the YOKE.
Looking at it from a distance, this may be his plan all along. Think about it, only way to get this performance is except the yoke. His or the companies movement for automotive change isn't for the drivers enthusiast regardless what we want.

Just out of curiosity - for those that went from a P100D to Plaid, was there a significant change in your insurance premiums? I'm wondering how the insurance companies are going to react to the raw power of the Plaid.

All of this vitriol, indignation, and condescension for the yoke! You’d think Tesla was kicking puppies and eating babies.

8 days in with my plaid. The yoke is obviously different “as anyone with eyes can see.” I’m still going back and forth between driving the plaid and my Mercedes E55 every day and I can comfortably say I prefer the yoke for the plaid. It certainly fits the overall experience and aesthetic of the plaid far better than a traditional wheel. It would function just as well in the Mercedes but would look unfortunate and the user experience just wouldn’t align with the rest of the car.

If the steering ratio was quicker I’d even be comfortable driving on track with a yoke but as it stands, yes I think it’s not a good fit for track driving. How many Model S drivers actually track their Model S? I’ll probably track it at least once just for kicks but I’ve got an E36 M3 that’s always going to be more fun on track. Anyone buying a Model S to track regularly, unless heavily modified, is skating uphill. In spite of Nurburgring, pikes peak records, etc.

Day to day I find the yoke enjoyable and well worth the brief adjustment period.

Change can certainly be scary and sometimes bad. Everyone relax. Most people will find the yoke works perfectly fine and more people than not will even like it.

Reactions: lbowroom
Imagine there will be aftermarket full steering wheel offerings for those who feel the Yoke is not for them.

Not that big a deal. Lots of people accessorize their stock cars to reflect their own desires.
It’s not just the stupid yoke. it’s also the removal of thr steering column controls. (Not broken, no need to fix it), and other things too.