Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Record for Charging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a 250kw charger in Nashville, TN. To my amazement, I hit speeds I used to see with my Model 3 - 173kw/521mph! I am running firmware 48.30. Naturally, it didn't stay at this speed for long but amazing nonetheless. Anybody else seeing speeds like this?

aax.jpg

We tagged the 190's in Las Vegas, but the actual charging time from 10% to 80% wasn't much different than the 150kW chargers.

Can someone please provide a good reference for easily learning about Kw and kWh while charging and driving? I guess I wasn’t paying attention during the energy part of college physics. Thanks.

kW (thousands of watts of power) controls how long it takes to pump a kWh (kilowatt-hours, think gallons) into your car.
If you are charging at 60 kW, it takes 1/60th of an hour to load a kWh into your car, or 1 minute.
So in that example, in one hour, it would pump 60 kWh's into your car.
180 kW is 3 times as fast, so it would take 20 minutes instead.
But the cars don't sustain peak speeds very long.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Does anyone have data on what a 10-70% charge time is on a 100 kWh S/X over a 7X kWh 3/Y? The brief seconds I flash 240 kw isn’t a big deal, but the slower overall speed and bigger battery seem like it’s a much longer charge?
Yes I have personal data for 3 and X on V3 chargers, Model 3 is 10 min or 29% faster.

10-70% with warm battery
2020 X LR++ 35 min
2018 P3- 25 min

Highest V3 power? 204 kW for 2020 X, 250 kW for 3. Both are my personal data points.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and MrTuna
Yes I have personal data for 3 and X on V3 chargers, Model 3 is 10 min or 29% faster.

10-70% with warm battery
2020 X LR++ 35 min
2018 P3- 25 min

Highest V3 power? 204 kW for 2020 X, 250 kW for 3. Both are my personal data points.

perfect. So 30% isn’t as bad as I feared. Should be workable for family trips, as my family beat the Model Y charge times every stop...

Reactions: RNHurt
I recently traded my 2020 MY LR for a 2020 MX LR and noticed a bit of a slowdown on Supercharging. It wasn't a big change but it was noticeable. Then again, maybe the larger battery in the MX played a part in taking longer to charge. 🤷‍♂️

I recently traded my 2020 MY LR for a 2020 MX LR and noticed a bit of a slowdown on Supercharging. It wasn't a big change but it was noticeable. Then again, maybe the larger battery in the MX played a part in taking longer to charge. 🤷‍♂️
This is to be expected, the Y has much newer chemistry than a legacy X. You need a refresh X to match the Y.

I did the same trade but knew that difference was going to be there.
Honestly it’s pretty noticeable, but not terrible. The larger X batter helps. I couldn’t imagine having a pre Raven X and doing road trips but there are people out there who do it.

This is to be expected, the Y has much newer chemistry than a legacy X. You need a refresh X to match the Y.
Ah, that makes sense.

My two sons and I recently completed a couple of 22 hour overnight trips in the MX (Colorodo <--> Kentucky) and the charging was 20-45mins but we were so tired that it didn't really matter. In fact, getting out and walking around a parking lot at 2am for 30 minutes was probably good for us. 😆

Reactions: JBT66
Ah, that makes sense.

My two sons and I recently completed a couple of 22 hour overnight trips in the MX (Colorodo <--> Kentucky) and the charging was 20-45mins but we were so tired that it didn't really matter. In fact, getting out and walking around a parking lot at 2am for 30 minutes was probably good for us. 😆
I actually did the same as you going from a 2020 Y to a 2020 X. I love the X but going backward on charging speed and the key fob from the phone key take a bit of getting use to!