Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Record for Charging Speed

I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a 250kw charger in Nashville, TN. To my amazement, I hit speeds I used to see with my Model 3 - 173kw/521mph! I am running firmware 48.30. Naturally, it didn't stay at this speed for long but amazing nonetheless. Anybody else seeing speeds like this?

aax.jpg

MXLRplus

Mar 11, 2020
Eastvale, CA
We tagged the 190's in Las Vegas, but the actual charging time from 10% to 80% wasn't much different than the 150kW chargers.

Can someone please provide a good reference for easily learning about Kw and kWh while charging and driving? I guess I wasn’t paying attention during the energy part of college physics. Thanks.

kW (thousands of watts of power) controls how long it takes to pump a kWh (kilowatt-hours, think gallons) into your car.
If you are charging at 60 kW, it takes 1/60th of an hour to load a kWh into your car, or 1 minute.
So in that example, in one hour, it would pump 60 kWh's into your car.
180 kW is 3 times as fast, so it would take 20 minutes instead.
But the cars don't sustain peak speeds very long.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

BM3B

“beaver”
Mar 8, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone have data on what a 10-70% charge time is on a 100 kWh S/X over a 7X kWh 3/Y? The brief seconds I flash 240 kw isn’t a big deal, but the slower overall speed and bigger battery seem like it’s a much longer charge?
Yes I have personal data for 3 and X on V3 chargers, Model 3 is 10 min or 29% faster.

10-70% with warm battery
2020 X LR++ 35 min
2018 P3- 25 min

Highest V3 power? 204 kW for 2020 X, 250 kW for 3. Both are my personal data points.

Reactions: MrTuna
Yes I have personal data for 3 and X on V3 chargers, Model 3 is 10 min or 29% faster.

10-70% with warm battery
2020 X LR++ 35 min
2018 P3- 25 min

Highest V3 power? 204 kW for 2020 X, 250 kW for 3. Both are my personal data points.

perfect. So 30% isn’t as bad as I feared. Should be workable for family trips, as my family beat the Model Y charge times every stop...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC