Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can power-manage (as Generac calls it) the AC, dryer and oven circuits, you could do the whole breaker panel for most homes. It's an easier wiring job. Most homes only have 1-2kw load, or less, without those big devices. If solar is able to power during the day and it is big enough, you can go off grid carefull simply with a 15-30 kWh battery for days.
I've been hoping that the PowerWall can be set up to back up the whole breaker panel as you describe. I would never run my A/C along with my dryer, which (besides the EV) would be the two biggest power drainers. But, let's say I'm peak shaving during summertime with the A/C, TV, and some lights on. I then heat something up in the microwave and surpass the 5kW draw that the PowerWall 2 provides. What will happen? Would it pop some kind of breaker on the panel or PowerWall, or just pull the additional power needed from the grid? Or would it cause a voltage sag to everything running?

I've been hoping that the PowerWall can be set up to back up the whole breaker panel as you describe. I would never run my A/C along with my dryer, which (besides the EV) would be the two biggest power drainers. But, let's say I'm peak shaving during summertime with the A/C, TV, and some lights on. I then heat something up in the microwave and surpass the 5kW draw that the PowerWall 2 provides. What will happen? Would it pop some kind of breaker on the panel or PowerWall, or just pull the additional power needed from the grid? Or would it cause a voltage sag to everything running?
While the grid is up, you won't notice anything is any different with the PowerWall until you look at the app to see the power flow.

So in my scenario, where the full 5kW continuous from the PW are already being used, if another 1kW appliance gets turned on, it would seamlessly pull that power from the grid? That's great if so.
Correct. Think of it like solar. Does it matter how much your grid-tied solar is producing when you turn on appliances? No, it doesn't.
Of course, when the grid power is out, it's a different story.

If the powerwall is like generac it will trip when the voltage drops too low. You would need to press a button to reset. While it is not wrong to set up backup power without a sub panel, 5kW is unusually small to use that way. 10kW would be more the point where some electrical contractors become comfortable with no sub panel.

As the OP for this thread, thought I would provide a one year update. Over a full year period of operation my 9.8kW PV system has generated 15.12mW. I have consumed a total of 13mW over that same period. So I'm pretty happy about that. I have some spare capacity. Yes, I could have sized my system smaller to save money. But over the past year I have driven less for my work commutes than I anticipated. If my work in the future requires more travel I'll be covered.

I do love getting my PSE&G bill each month :) About $12 a month. With all the A/C's going most of the summer
When talking to people about my solar the Tesla always comes into the conversation. Regarding charging from the sun one friend called me a genious ...........................er genius . Of course I am far from that but it does feel good :)

Reactions: Falkirk
Got my Powerwall 2 system installed. 4 units, floor mounted. My original preference for inside-garage wall-mounted wasn't feasible due to a couple of outlets that couldn't be moved (at least not without tearing the wall apart). Also, not able to backup the entire house which is 400A total, so we had to keep the dryer, 1 of 2 AC units, and 1 of 2 car chargers off the system (it's a large house, about 5000 sq ft). Took about 20 hours over 2 days. Very impressed by how quickly the backup kicks in during the off-grid test. It's instant. Not even a flicker.

IMG_1785.PNG
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG

Got my Powerwall 2 system installed. 4 units, floor mounted. My original preference for inside-garage wall-mounted wasn't feasible due to a couple of outlets that couldn't be moved (at least not without tearing the wall apart). Also, not able to backup the entire house which is 400A total, so we had to keep the dryer, 1 of 2 AC units, and 1 of 2 car chargers off the system (it's a large house, about 5000 sq ft). Took about 20 hours over 2 days. Very impressed by how quickly the backup kicks in during the off-grid test. It's instant. Not even a flicker.

View attachment 246524 View attachment 246525 View attachment 246526 View attachment 246527

Are you able to send energy from the PowerWall directly back to the grid during peak TOU hours?

Fantastic! How are they secured to the floor?
I have the same installation - they secure them to the wall and allow their load to bear on the floor.

And @FlatSix911, no, even TOU is still not available in the app. It's coming "soon". Currently we can use it for 100% backup or for "self-powered." The latter is a bit unpredictable in my experience and only discharges during off-peak after 11pm. That doesn't make much sense. I'm still waiting on a customizable TOU.

I have the same installation - they secure them to the wall and allow their load to bear on the floor.

And @FlatSix911, no, even TOU is still not available in the app. It's coming "soon". Currently we can use it for 100% backup or for "self-powered." The latter is a bit unpredictable in my experience and only discharges during off-peak after 11pm. That doesn't make much sense. I'm still waiting on a customizable TOU.

That almost sounds like a bug.

View attachment 246524 View attachment 246525 View attachment 246526 View attachment 246527
Tell us what the app is showing, please?
I'm guessing that PV is producing 7.4kW
Battery is delivering 3.8kW
House is consuming 11.1kW
So 0.1kW difference between load and production is going to Grid?

Is PowerWall supposed to be supplying whatever is lacking from PV? Why is it a bit over?

Tell us what the app is showing, please?
I'm guessing that PV is producing 7.4kW
Battery is delivering 3.8kW
House is consuming 11.1kW
So 0.1kW difference between load and production is going to Grid?

Is PowerWall supposed to be supplying whatever is lacking from PV? Why is it a bit over?

Correct and correct. Periodic momentary (1 second) blips of 0.1kW going to or from the grid throughout the day even when there's more than enough solar or more than enough powerwall energy or capacity. Our solar maxes out at 14kW and the 4 powerwalls can max out at 21kW so there's really no need for usage from grid or energy sent to the grid (when the powerwalls aren't anywhere near full) during sunlight hours. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe it's just an artifact of being connected to the grid.

Any Noise? I'm about to have my Powerwalls installed, and one of the possible locations is attached to the outside wall of my bedroom.
Do the Powerwalls make any noise at all?
Even a low hum?
Pumps for the cooling system?
Basically, if you put your ear on the Powerwall unit, would you hear (or feel) anything?

I can't get a definitive answer from Tesla, SolarCity, or the installers. I'd hate to have them install, and then have to come back and relocate the batteries if they make any kind of hum or noise. I live in the woods, not in a city, so there is no background noise at night (other than crickets, deer, possums, skunks, and raccoons. I never hear the Mountain Lions. The crickets are the only ones that seem to party all night.)