Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotcha, did you do the Zigbee wireless monitoring solution? That's what's on mine..
I have been told by Tesla Energy that when my system is turned on this coming Monday I will be set up with access to an web portal that will provide me with lots of data about system performance. Therefore I assume that my SolarEdge inverter will be connected to the Internet, and I further assume that that will be done by first connecting it to my home wifi network. However, since there is no keyboard associated with the inverter I am unclear on how that connection will be made.

I'm in the process of doing plans for a new home. Is there a number I can call to talk to PowerWall peeps for specs and plans? Or an email?
Hi Larry,

I am not aware of a phone number or email for Tesla Energy that is for providing interested persons with Powerwall information. My impression is that currently Tesla Energy is not at the point where anyone who wants to buy a Powerwall can just contact them, make payment, and get a Powerwall delivered. Powerwall production is definitely happening right now at the Gigafactory but I have been told that there are well over 100,000 Powerwall reservations just in the US!

There are some very basic Powerwall specs here Press Kit | Tesla

Do you just need to know the dimensions of the Powerwall so you can plan a space for it, or is there something else you need to know? You can see from my photos in the thread I started that you need to leave a lot of space for all the other components.

Barry Brisco

I have been told by Tesla Energy that when my system is turned on this coming Monday I will be set up with access to an web portal that will provide me with lots of data about system performance. Therefore I assume that my SolarEdge inverter will be connected to the Internet, and I further assume that that will be done by first connecting it to my home wifi network. However, since there is no keyboard associated with the inverter I am unclear on how that connection will be made.
Not sure on yours but my inverters are not connected wirelessly via WiFi nor a zigbee/zwave protocol. Mine uses an IP over powerline adapter to connect to my router via a cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
My solar system max output should be enough to make me a net zero user of electricity on an annual basis.

I'm interested in your opinions on reasons for doing this - clearly the pay-back sums are not very good! but for sure whilst that is clearly a expressed opinion I stumble across its not the only one :)

We see ourselves as being an Eco family, but I've stopped short of considering static-storage of electricity. Our excess PV is exported to the grid, during the day, and we import-back at night and currently, for me, I find that a reasonably comfortable space to be occupying :) In the back of my mind smart metering and car-to-grid battery usage might be a future outcome.

I do not have a pool or AC. Kitchen is all electric. Space heating is powered by natural gas, hot water radiant heat system in the floor. On demand water heater is powered by gas. Only my spouse and I live here

We are similar, kids now of an age to only be home occasionally. I do have pool, but no AC here in UK as we would only need that for about a week once a decade!. We have replaced house and pool Oil-fired boilers with log-boiler, and we have PV as well as Solar Thermal (separately for both Pool and Domestic Hot Water).

I work from home (Software, lots of computers chugging away here), and we get enough short-interval powercuts (just long enough to reboot computers and zero electric clocks on all mains-accessories), to be annoying. Thus there is a potential benefit to me of a continuous, uninterruptible, supply. We do currently have a switch-over to allow us to plug in a generator for essential circuits during longer outages (rural location, severe storms / snow leave us powerless for 24 - 36 hours every 2 - 3 years, so perhaps I already have some "essential circuit" work done - (I'm not aware that there are any Rules & Regs for essential circuits in the UK)

How would you see it from your and my PoV?

Not sure on yours but my inverters are not connected wirelessly via WiFi nor a zigbee/zwave protocol. Mine uses an IP over powerline adapter to connect to my router via a cable.
We have Solar Power(25 KW system) for our home. We have 3 ground mount arrays. One large and 2 smaller. The 2 smaller were installed last summer after we took delivery of our Tesla Model S 85D. We had a Solar Edge Inverter and optimizers installed for the panels of the smaller ground mounts. We have been monitoring these panels. These have a cable connected directly to our modem. We were so pleased to be able to monitor the performance through Solar Edge that we had our large array equipped with optimizers and two Solar Edge Inverters. These are wireless since we didn't want to have to dig a trench again. The grass is finally growing over last years dig. We had the Inverter go bad on the small set of arrays. My husband monitors them daily at the website and noticed the panels weren't producing any power. We called our installer and he came out to check the system and determined the Inverter was the problem. Solar Edge replaced the Inverter with no questions asked. We also have a phone app to be able to monitor our system when we are away. As of now we don't feel the need to have a battery backup. We are on the grid. Our Electric Company pays us back for any KW not used every June.

Mine is connected via a $20 Netgear wireless extender. I installed my Netgear Wireless extender right next to my Inverters and plugged my inverters into it.

Tesla only supplied the Powerwall. The remainder of the system is SolarEdge. Ecarfans SOLAR system will be monitored by SolarEdge the same way mine is.....Just click on the link below.
I can add a powerwall if needed, however my system works fine without one.

We have Solar Power(25 KW system) for our home. We have 3 ground mount arrays. One large and 2 smaller. The 2 smaller were installed last summer after we took delivery of our Tesla Model S 85D. We had a Solar Edge Inverter and optimizers installed for the panels of the smaller ground mounts. We have been monitoring these panels. These have a cable connected directly to our modem. We were so pleased to be able to monitor the performance through Solar Edge that we had our large array equipped with optimizers and two Solar Edge Inverters. These are wireless since we didn't want to have to dig a trench again. The grass is finally growing over last years dig. We had the Inverter go bad on the small set of arrays. My husband monitors them daily at the website and noticed the panels weren't producing any power. We called our installer and he came out to check the system and determined the Inverter was the problem. Solar Edge replaced the Inverter with no questions asked. We also have a phone app to be able to monitor our system when we are away. As of now we don't feel the need to have a battery backup. We are on the grid. Our Electric Company pays us back for any KW not used every June.
Solar Edge is absolutely fantastic. They warranty their inverters for 25 years.

I installed mine with my son. Solar is a very lego type installation. There are no shingles to remove or anything.

My system cost approx. $8K in total. 54 panels. You can keep track of my progress by clicking the link below.
8k for a 54 panel system?? Where did you get your system. I got a 6.12 kW system from gogreensolar.com with the same Solar Edge Inverter (7600 series) so that I could add more panels later if I need it after I get my Model 3. My system will cover 108% of my usage last year but have added a much more efficient AC and new windows. It cost $12,800 and is 24 panels. Seems like an amazing price for a 9.69 kW system but 54 panels seems outrageous for a 1,600 sqft home.

8k for a 54 panel system?? Where did you get your system. I got a 6.12 kW system from gogreensolar.com with the same Solar Edge Inverter (7600 series) so that I could add more panels later if I need it after I get my Model 3. My system will cover 108% of my usage last year but have added a much more efficient AC and new windows. It cost $12,800 and is 24 panels. Seems like an amazing price for a 9.69 kW system but 54 panels seems outrageous for a 1,600 sqft home.
I purchased my system under the Obama Clean Energy act which is available the entire time that he is in office.

never mind, that was someone else talking about their system that must have been a much smaller size. I agree, if you can install it (I did), awesome, if not, still worth it. I did my solar but I can't do my huge retaining wall and paver stones without wrecking my back, so I am gladly paying the 80k for the huge backyard makeover.

Reactions: ArtInCT
We have Solar Power(25 KW system) for our home. We have 3 ground mount arrays. One large and 2 smaller. The 2 smaller were installed last summer after we took delivery of our Tesla Model S 85D./QUOTE]
Wow, 25kW is a very large system. People who know solar usually do a double take when I tell them about just our 14kW system on our house. We're still in the first year so I'm not sure how we'll net out over the course of a whole year but right now we're running well. I think we're in the sweet spot of offset vs ROI.

@ecarfan Did you sign up for the CA SGIP program for the incentive rebate? Not sure a single wall would qualify but it used to be somewhat substantial for the incentive at $1.87 per Watt (ie. one PW would be 3KW).

I see only one recent project request at SGIP for 6.4 KW (they may have entered a powerwall incorrectly as 6.4KW and not kWh) but that one is in San Diego with February '16 paperwork. That one is getting $1800 incentive if it becomes a reserved and approved project. Most SGIP money now is locked up in reserved projects (a lot by Tesla) so I doubt that homeowners buying powerwalls can get any of it.

Last edited:
@bonaire I did not sign up for that California program. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I was not even aware of it.

So I went to this page Self-Generation Incentive Program There is a link there to my utility, PG&E, at Self Generation Incentive program

That page states, quote: "Important 2016 program dates: The application portal will be open from 12 p.m. on February 8 through 6 p.m. February 22. During this time, parties will be able to request company and user registrations and prepare applications for submission."

Looks like I missed it. Why would there be such a narrow window for making applications available?

According to that page, the monetary incentive for "Advanced Energy Storage" is $1.31/watt. The Powerwall is 3,300W (max power output, not kWh of storage capacity). So the payout is $4,323. That's some serious money.

My new system is scheduled to be powered up this morning. More soon...

Last edited:
Hi Larry,

I am not aware of a phone number or email for Tesla Energy that is for providing interested persons with Powerwall information. My impression is that currently Tesla Energy is not at the point where anyone who wants to buy a Powerwall can just contact them, make payment, and get a Powerwall delivered. Powerwall production is definitely happening right now at the Gigafactory but I have been told that there are well over 100,000 Powerwall reservations just in the US!

There are some very basic Powerwall specs here Press Kit | Tesla

Do you just need to know the dimensions of the Powerwall so you can plan a space for it, or is there something else you need to know? You can see from my photos in the thread I started that you need to leave a lot of space for all the other components.

Barry Brisco

Thanks Barry. I contacted them via the inquiry page they have and am waiting to hear back. I'll contact a solar installer for planning installation and blend that with the power wall. I did put in my reservation as well.

I see only one recent project request at SGIP for 6.4 KW (they may have entered a powerwall incorrectly as 6.4KW and not kWh) but that one is in San Diego with February '16 paperwork. That one is getting $1800 incentive if it becomes a reserved and approved project. Most SGIP money now is locked up in reserved projects (a lot by Tesla) so I doubt that homeowners buying powerwalls can get any of it.
I read through most of the online information about the SGIP program. The application requirements are extensive (in part no doubt to prevent fraudulent applications). I get the impression that the program is designed for businesses not for residences. Given the application process requirements it seems unlikely to me that a homeowner would attempt it for something like a single Powerwall.

• Helpful
Reactions: ArtInCT
My new solar system is now operational. Powerwall has been tested and appears to be working correctly. I learned that if the grid goes down switchover to my Powerwall and solar occurs automatically could take a minute or two, or less. Very cool.

Here are some photos of the inverter display screen.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg