Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need an essential panel. You can connect eadh Solar Edge Inverter to 1/2 of you primary panel and all of your 120v appliances will work.
Garlan I am not questioning your description of your particular installation, but where I live a critical loads ("essential") panel is required by code. I think that is the case in many parts of the US. When you make absolute statements like "You don't need an essential panel" I suggest keeping in mind that there are other factors that negate that statement.

And I see you have now posted explaining further why you do not have such a panel. Thank you.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Garlan I am not questioning your description of your particular installation, but where I live a critical loads ("essential") panel is required by code. I think that is the case in many parts of the US. When you make absolute statements like "You don't need an essential panel" I suggest keeping in mind that there are other factors that negate that statement.

And I see you have now posted explaining further why you do not have such a panel. Thank you.

Thanks ecarfan. Yes, I absolutely needed to have my outback system approved by my local municipality. I had to provide all kinds of Outback documentation.
I'm not trying to hijack your thread...just letting our Tesla/Solar City folks in this forum know that there is more than one way to get solar.

My Outback switch was nothing more than a replacement for my primary breaker that recognizes when my power company disconnects and it cuts the link from my panel to the outside of the house.

When the power comes back on.... it disconnects the 2 circuit breakers ( I had to replace my Solar Edge circuit breakers with outback ones) associated with my solar array for 2 minutes. And then turns them back on to allow Solar Edge to re-synch with the phases of my power companies supplied power.

So.. I had to plugin a new 200amp breaker and 2 30A breakers. And I was done.

My Outback Battery inverter ( separate from Solar Edge) is never disconnected. Power either charges the battery or the battery provides power to the panel. The new 200amp breaker tells the inverter what to do.

My new system has now passed inspection. The solar and Powerwall will be energized next Monday morning. Tesla Energy personnel will be on site to ensure that everything goes smoothly.

The code where I live requires a lot of warning stickers. Here are some examples.

Main panel
image.jpeg

Critical loads subpanel (Note: the rooftop view of the panel layou and house shape is accurate for my installation, very nice custom made label)
image.jpeg

System disconnect
image.jpeg

SolarEdge inverter
image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Yes it is as far as I know.
If anyone knows how to perform that type of direct purchase, I'd sure love to hear the details as I've called Tesla many times and have been told , "No, we sell through installers only" and "We may, one day". The last time I had a Solar City guy out to discuss the matter, the cost was huge, to the point of being eye brow raising, something like '$11,000 for a 10 year lease'.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
What determines how the charge and discharge cycles are scheduled? Is there software that you can use? Is it controlled by Tesla via an internet connection? Or is it completely autonomous?
The firmware that controls all aspects of the system operation including the Powerwall is all in the SolarEdge inverter. Some of that firmware was written by Tesla Energy, some by SolarEdge.
I want to clarify a previous question that was deemed "off topic" moved to "Powerwall Questions": Did you engineer a way to charge your system via a portable generator? Perhaps, via an input to the inverter
My system has no provision for connecting to a portable generator as far as I know, and I have no interest in connecting a portable generator to it. If that is what you want I suggest you contact Solar Edge or a solar installation company local to you to see if they can handle that.

If anyone knows how to perform that type of direct purchase, I'd sure love to hear the details as I've called Tesla many times and have been told , "No, we sell through installers only" and "We may, one day".
All I can tell you is that when Tesla Energy contacted me early this year to tell me that a Powerwall was available for me to purchase, they were willing to sell it to me directly. As it turned out, my solar installer wanted to be responsible for buying and installing all the system components themselves so they bought the Powerwall and it was shipped to them. My installer did not mark up the Powerwall price to me, they just passed it on.

I want to chime in and say "cool" and "good for you"!
This gives the feeling of living in the future. In some ways its all been around, but even most of America, you could give directions as "he's the guy with solar panels". I applaud you for doing something very cool, and very much with sustainability in mind!

My new system has now passed inspection. The solar and Powerwall will be energized next Monday morning. Tesla Energy personnel will be on site to ensure that everything goes smoothly.

The code where I live requires a lot of warning stickers. Here are some examples.

Main panel
View attachment 190754

Critical loads subpanel (Note: the rooftop view of the panel layou and house shape is accurate for my installation, very nice custom made label)
View attachment 190755

System disconnect
View attachment 190756

SolarEdge inverter
View attachment 190757
Indeed those are a lot of stickers.

All I can tell you is that when Tesla Energy contacted me early this year to tell me that a Powerwall was available for me to purchase, they were willing to sell it to me directly. As it turned out, my solar installer wanted to be responsible for buying and installing all the system components themselves so they bought the Powerwall and it was shipped to them. My installer did not mark up the Powerwall price to me, they just passed it on.
I wish powerwall was available when I installed mine. Good for you.

Awesome... I have the same inverter... whats the small white box next to the upper right of the inverter that has the matching shell?
I believe that is what I was told was an "auto transformer".

When Tesla acquires SolarCity (Ihope) I am sure that Elon is thinking that this maze of boxes and connections has to be more integrated and simplified. The labor involved in putting this system together was significant.

I believe that is what I was told was an "auto transformer".

When Tesla acquires SolarCity (Ihope) I am sure that Elon is thinking that this maze of boxes and connections has to be more integrated and simplified. The labor involved in putting this system together was significant.

I concur and its one of the things that I expect to see as part of this "synergy"...

Jeff