Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Tesla Model Y has 30% more usable cargo space than my 2018 Subaru Outback.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EV4K_Mikey your comment about your left leg getting tired gave me a good laugh this morning, so thanks! I too remember the days of driving a manual in my twenties and actually declaring “I’ll never buy a car with an automatic transmission!” Life changes your perspective. Late forties here with two children in college. Have fun with your toddler. I know it’s cliche but enjoy every minute, they do grow up way too fast.

@EV4K_Mikey your comment about your left leg getting tired gave me a good laugh this morning, so thanks! I too remember the days of driving a manual in my twenties and actually declaring “I’ll never buy a car with an automatic transmission!” Life changes your perspective. Late forties here with two children in college. Have fun with your toddler. I know it’s cliche but enjoy every minute, they do grow up way too fast.

Hahaha, no worries! That's exactly what I declared too about driving a manual but I ain't got time to heel-toe anymore! I'm so glad I lived through my youth and pretty much get to take my child through her own life journey with my guidance. Perspective at her moment of birth *mind blown*... She already knows that Daddy loves Elon Musk and wants to own an electric car (is this brainwashing?).

I’ve owned 3 Subies so far - Legacy, Outback, and Forester. I’m driving a Forester right now which is leased until December of 2021. I’m going to be looking at purchasing something for a longer time. Like the OP, family of 4, no pets, but need cargo room for family outings and sports the kids are into.

There is no denying that the Y is technology supreme and cheaper over time compared to an ICE. I appreciate this post because it helps me truly try to compare apples to apples. It sounds like I won’t be giving up much with the Tesla compared to the Outback.

I am also cross shopping between the Outback XT Touring, RAV4 Prime XSE, and Subaru Ascent Limited. It’s a really tough call when you factor in everything including cost to own over time.

I’m not even concerned about range. I drive less than 25 miles a day and would use my 120V outlet. But, I would be willing to install the 240V at a later date if I needed it.

I’m really mostly concerned about the flashy image of Teslas. I know it’s an advanced car and that’s great, I’m into the technology. But I don’t want the looks that someone that drives a BMW or a Mercedes or other luxury car gets. I prefer to blend in. (Am considering paying the highway robbery $1000 for either Gray or Black paint to make it not “pop” so much...) Thoughts on the image projected?

@BruceT45410 - I’m pretty sure the newer Outbacks have a memory switch for the rear hatch that can be enabled or disabled with a button. My Forester has it on the controls to the bottom left of the steering wheel (where the dimmer switch is)

@EV4K_Mikey - I have a 2019 Forester and I find the cargo area less than desirable. My Outback that preceded it had a longer but not as tall area which was more useful in day to day stuff. The Forester is taller which is more useful I guess for furniture and stuff, but I can’t recall a time it ever hauled something I couldn’t in my Outback. But I am noticing a lot of times where I am saying “I could have fit this in my Outback” so far... Forester feels more agile than an Outback but also feels less refined. I appreciated the Outback’s creature comforts and ride quality better in my old age (I’m in my mid 30’s lol)

Tesla name is definitely flashy, but the car is very understated. No where does it say Tesla. There are Tesla symbols and "dual motor" badge. I bet you most people can't tell a Tesla from Mazda. Way back I used to own a WRX STI, Subie fans always wished for WRX STI Wagon (I had the hatchback). TMY is that perfect blend of performance and utility for me.

Tesla name is definitely flashy, but the car is very understated. No where does it say Tesla. There are Tesla symbols and "dual motor" badge. I bet you most people can't tell a Tesla from Mazda. Way back I used to own a WRX STI, Subie fans always wished for WRX STI Wagon (I had the hatchback). TMY is that perfect blend of performance and utility for me.

I do think it's an understated car as well. I also like that the styling doesn't change excessively every new addition, that it aims to be a bit 'timeless'. This is great for a car which I would intend to keep for a long time. Aero is a hard thing to get right so I imagine you don't want to mess with it.

Oooh! Did you modify your WRX to hear the boxer burble? Unmistakable sound! What a great time we live in where we will drive through the transition from manual -> ICE -> EV silence.