Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Tesla Model Y has 30% more usable cargo space than my 2018 Subaru Outback.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I was recently comparing the cargo space on my new model Y vs. my 2018 Subaru Outback and I was surprised by the results. First of all Model Y is deceivingly bigger than it appears because it's more proportional in its dimensions, IMHO. However when parked next to my 2018 Subaru Outback, it's only a bit shorter and a bit taller.

My Outback has been used on family vacations with wife and 2 teenage boys. It fits us quite well with luggage in the back and three mountain bikes on a hitch rack. I was curious if model Y would be able to haul as much cargo as my Outback. To my surprise, it could probably haul more.

First of all, here is my definition of usable cargo space:
-rear seats up
-cargo can only be stacked as high as the rear seats for safety reason ***IMPORTANT***
-I used width at most narrow place
-height is measured to the top of the rear seat

So here are my measurements (it was dark so assume +- 5% error)

Outback usable cargo space (only the rear) 18H (top of seat) x 42W(most narrow points) x 41L = 17.9 cu ft
Model Y usable cargo space (the rear top) 19 H (top of seat) x 37.5W(most narrow points) x 43.5L = 17.9 cu ft

Couple of points here
1. MY has a longer cargo space by 2.5 inches. The bumper cover and large hatch contact area makes it seem like Subaru cargo space is longer on the picture.
2. MY overall has lower floors so the height to the top the seat is 1 inch higher
3. MY rear cargo is visibly and measurably more narrow
4. Usable cargo space in the rear only (excluding MY trunk well) appears to be the same as Outback

As far as Outback that is the whole cargo space without going in to cabin space at least.
However Tesla Model Y has a bunch of more:

1. Trunk Well cargo space using most narrow width is about 2.6 cu ft (probably bigger if account for the wider part)
2. Frunk cargo space using most narrow width is about 3 cu ft (probably bigger if account for the wider part)
3. There are two deep pockets on each side of the rear space which I did not measure but each is about a good shoe box big. There is also another shallow hidden compartment in front of the trunk well which I did not bother measuring. My very conservative guesstimate puts all three at around 1 cu ft
4. There is a couple of more. The front seats in Tesla are about 12 inches of the floor ! That's a whole foot - tons of space for your feet. Compare to a mere 4 inches in Subaru, which allows me to stuff some water bottle. You can easily stuff a small backpack underneath each of the seats like you would in an airplane. Again, my very conservative guesstimate for usable space under the seats are at around 1 cu ft.
5. I am not going to count the center console space although that is easily 2-3 the size of what the Outback offers.

So TOTAL usable cargo space for Tesla Model Y adds up to 25.5 cu ft. That is 30% more than Outback !
Again USABLE cargo space as defined above.

I was shocked, I was expecting to the cargo space to be at most equivalent to the Outback.

Yup. My DD was a ‘13 Toyota Avalon - and it had good trunk space (no folding seats). When I saw the Frunk on the tester MY - my mind said “Yep that’s where my dive gear goes” - and still plenty of space in the back plus the hatch wells.

Reactions: CyberB
Love the post, really informative. That's my Subaru! Same color outside and inside (mine is a '17). I have a Model 3 LR RWD and struggle getting the road bike in the back due to the narrow opening etc. I mean, it fits in the 3 but the Subey handles it so much better. I love the side-by-side comparison. That helps me in thinking I will keep the Model 3 (wife absolutely adores it) and I would swap the Outback for a Y. Your post will cost me a lot of money! Lol.

Reactions: CyberB
Love the post, really informative. That's my Subaru! Same color outside and inside (mine is a '17). I have a Model 3 LR RWD and struggle getting the road bike in the back due to the narrow opening etc. I mean, it fits in the 3 but the Subey handles it so much better. I love the side-by-side comparison. That helps me in thinking I will keep the Model 3 (wife absolutely adores it) and I would swap the Outback for a Y. Your post will cost me a lot of money! Lol.

You would have no issues with putting a road bike in Y with seats down, I can probably fit my MTB in there with wheels on...but that white interior though ! The Outback is my third Subaru. Love Subarus but they are getting left behind, my Outback will be used by my teenage son to commute to school.... when it opens.

• Informative
Reactions: dixosw and Watts_Up
I think if you don't care about the space above the rear seats, then sure, but otherwise, the sloped hatch is a huge difference. The outback is much more of a box.

We are having a hard time finding a crash tested dog crate that will fit in some manner in the Model Y that's big enough for our dog, whereas in the Outback, we had about ten different choices.

I've been searching for weeks, and it seems like the only option is custom fabrication.

I think if you don't care about the space above the rear seats, then sure, but otherwise, the sloped hatch is a huge difference. The outback is much more of a box.

We are having a hard time finding a crash tested dog crate that will fit in some manner in the Model Y that's big enough for our dog, whereas in the Outback, we had about ten different choices.

I've been searching for weeks, and it seems like the only option is custom fabrication.
Good point, didn't account for the slope. Let's hope that Elon makes a SUV based on Cybertruck, then you could fit any cage you want.

Nice thread and really appreciate the side by side photos. @CyberB I have a specific ask of you if you don’t mind. Assuming you own a set of golf clubs or can borrow one from a neighbor, can you check to see if you can lay the clubs (in the bag) sideways in your Model Y? I’m assuming they will not fit that way since mine don’t fit sideways in my Model 3, just want to confirm. Thanks in advance!

Nice thread and really appreciate the side by side photos. @CyberB I have a specific ask of you if you don’t mind. Assuming you own a set of golf clubs or can borrow one from a neighbor, can you check to see if you can lay the clubs (in the bag) sideways in your Model Y? I’m assuming they will not fit that way since mine don’t fit sideways in my Model 3, just want to confirm. Thanks in advance!
I just loaded two full-size golf bags across door to door with the second row seat folded down. In fact, I was able to put one bag, on the floor, underneath the headrests of the folded seat. These are complete with a long driver.
If you remove the driver, there’s a chance they could fit side-by-side in the trunk, but it just seem to be too tight of a fit.
I will try later today and report back.

I just loaded two full-size golf bags across door to door with the second row seat folded down. In fact, I was able to put one bag, on the floor, underneath the headrests of the folded seat. These are complete with a long driver.
If you remove the driver, there’s a chance they could fit side-by-side in the trunk, but it just seem to be too tight of a fit.
I will try later today and report back.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I should have specified in the trunk, let me know if your driverless bag fits there. Funny, I hadn’t even thought of removing the driver and laying my clubs in the Model 3 trunk. Don’t know why I didn’t try that since I can’t hit the driver straight to save my life!

Thanks for the info. Yeah I should have specified in the trunk, let me know if your driverless bag fits there. Funny, I hadn’t even thought of removing the driver and laying my clubs in the Model 3 trunk. Don’t know why I didn’t try that since I can’t hit the driver straight to save my life!

Here's a video showing it (skip to around 3:30):

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
It looks you got your answer, I don't have clubs to try. Also keep in mind that middle seat folds by itself if you need extra room. Great for skis and snowboard too.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I’ve owned 3 Subies so far - Legacy, Outback, and Forester. I’m driving a Forester right now which is leased until December of 2021. I’m going to be looking at purchasing something for a longer time. Like the OP, family of 4, no pets, but need cargo room for family outings and sports the kids are into.

There is no denying that the Y is technology supreme and cheaper over time compared to an ICE. I appreciate this post because it helps me truly try to compare apples to apples. It sounds like I won’t be giving up much with the Tesla compared to the Outback.

I am also cross shopping between the Outback XT Touring, RAV4 Prime XSE, and Subaru Ascent Limited. It’s a really tough call when you factor in everything including cost to own over time.

I’m not even concerned about range. I drive less than 25 miles a day and would use my 120V outlet. But, I would be willing to install the 240V at a later date if I needed it.

I’m really mostly concerned about the flashy image of Teslas. I know it’s an advanced car and that’s great, I’m into the technology. But I don’t want the looks that someone that drives a BMW or a Mercedes or other luxury car gets. I prefer to blend in. (Am considering paying the highway robbery $1000 for either Gray or Black paint to make it not “pop” so much...) Thoughts on the image projected?

@BruceT45410 - I’m pretty sure the newer Outbacks have a memory switch for the rear hatch that can be enabled or disabled with a button. My Forester has it on the controls to the bottom left of the steering wheel (where the dimmer switch is)

@EV4K_Mikey - I have a 2019 Forester and I find the cargo area less than desirable. My Outback that preceded it had a longer but not as tall area which was more useful in day to day stuff. The Forester is taller which is more useful I guess for furniture and stuff, but I can’t recall a time it ever hauled something I couldn’t in my Outback. But I am noticing a lot of times where I am saying “I could have fit this in my Outback” so far... Forester feels more agile than an Outback but also feels less refined. I appreciated the Outback’s creature comforts and ride quality better in my old age (I’m in my mid 30’s lol)

Last edited:
I’ve owned 3 Subies so far - Legacy, Outback, and Forester. I’m driving a Forester right now which is leased until December of 2021. I’m going to be looking at purchasing something for a longer time. Like the OP, family of 4, no pets, but need cargo room for family outings and sports the kids are into.

There is no denying that the Y is technology supreme and cheaper over time compared to an ICE. I appreciate this post because it helps me truly try to compare apples to apples. It sounds like I won’t be giving up much with the Tesla compared to the Outback.

I’m really mostly concerned about the flashy image of Teslas. I know it’s an advanced car and that’s great, I’m into the technology. But I don’t want the looks that someone that drives a BMW or a Mercedes or other luxury car gets. I prefer to blend in. (Am considering paying the highway robbery $1000 for either Gray or Black paint to make it not “pop” so much...) Thoughts on the image projected?

@EV4K_Mikey - I have a 2019 Forester and I find the cargo area less than desirable. My Outback that preceded it had a longer but not as tall area which was more useful in day to day stuff. The Forester is taller which is more useful I guess for furniture and stuff, but I can’t recall a time it ever hauled something I couldn’t in my Outback. But I am noticing a lot of times where I am saying “I could have fit this in my Outback” so far... Forester feels more agile than an Outback but also feels less refined. I appreciated the Outback’s creature comforts and ride quality better in my old age (I’m in my mid 30’s lol)

I really do love my 2010 Forester (before bonnet scoops went out of fashion) now any front void is just for looks. Before that I came from a hot hatch which I modified beyond practicality and developed a real love for driving 'manual', that time has now passed because my left leg got tired and I am late 30's with a toddler and I used to have a Rottweiler which was amazing for moving him and large things. I can never live without an SUV, that needs to be the starting vehicle for my garage.

Problem is that the Forester is rather thirsty but permanent AWD will do that unless you move to electric so the only option is a Model Y. Yes Tesla's are developing their own 'image' but one of technology and lifestyle is better than the ones in my mind of BMW and Mercedes. I intend to keep my future Model Y for 20 years if I can (financially ROI will actually go more positive than negative!). What the best part of it will be that it's software will continue to get better and improved over time while my Forester has just aged and started breaking over time, unlike a fine wine...