Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Tesla - What a NEGATIVE Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying I bought an X, will be delivered soon.. I love the brand, love the X.. The "sales" model and such... Well get this...

So as someone that went from the CPO/Used search to then finalizing on a new, in-inventory model, I am ASTONISHED by the experience I have had with Tesla so far... Over 3 locations..

So I live in Orlando. Search started with Tesla of Orlando on my new, in-inventory search. Unfortunately my owner adviser, was unable to be reached the day I found an inventory Model X at Tesla Atlanta... So I reach out to Atlanta.. Get an owner adviser there, that initially, was very helpful. Not only locating the model they had, but as well, finding one in Indianapolis that also met my criteria. So great, Thursday of last week I commit my intent to drive up to Atlanta from Orlando and confirm my delivery first thing Monday morning.... Adviser sends me pics, confirms my arrival and encourages me to make the drive to take delivery on this X.

Drive up to Atlanta all excited, arrive Monday morning first thing, only to have them tell me the X I am now there to buy is a loaner car and is loaned out... Has been since Saturday and my owner adviser notified them I was coming up. "Honest mistake" is the only excuse I get from the adviser as I make the return trip back to Orlando and a 7 hour drive......

So.. Washing my hands of this guy, I reach out to Indianapolis.. Get a great owner adviser that confirms this model in inventory and can have it shipped down to me. Apparently, this model was a marketing vehicle, 700 miles on it, with a, roughly $1k incentive due to the miles. Checks all the boxes otherwise, so I commit to it, toss them my $2500 deposit and request updated pictures, imperfections, interior condition, etc...

What do I then find out? They have no idea where the car is.. NONE.. Turns out, their marketing vehicle that is NOT a loaner has been loaned.... The vehicle I have now completed purchase of, (even at the time of writing this, 24 hours later,) is sitting in some ladies driveway in Indianapolis! To get me the pictures I so need, they have the nerve to ask the person loaning my now purchased vehicle to take some pictures for them.. Which they then send me.. They DON'T ask the loaner be returned or swapped for another, they DON'T offer to deliver her a replacement loaner and take "my" X..

24 hours after closing the deal, deposit and finance, "my" Model X is in some ladies driveway still. No concessions.. Add to that, I am promised, PROMISED delivery by the end of this month... Get an email from the logistics guy in Vegas which tells me delivery in a MONTH... November, 20th.... (I COULD HAVE ORDERED A NEW ONE and had it delivered to Orlando in less time.......)

No concessions.. Not even, "here, have a free t-shirt for all your troubles.."

One MIGHT expect this at a Kia or Ford dealer.. (Who am I kidding. This is unfathomable from any brand, or industry.) But we are talking a six figure, "luxury, high line vehicle."

Apparently, only at Tesla can you buy a $100k+ car, that is currently being loaned to a service customer, of which no one truly has an idea of where the car actually is...

Surely all of this should warrant me a set of 22" wheel concession right? ;)

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: cwerdna and P85_DA
Did you buy it or merely place a deposit? It's a shame you couldn't locate one in Florida.

It is bought sir. Technically. Got finalization, account setup, communication with logistics in Vegas on shipping.

Correct, was unable to find one closer. Had finalized on 75D, White on White, Premium, Ultra High Def, 6 seat... Sadly, this was the one.

24 hours after closing the deal, deposit and finance, "my" Model X is in some ladies driveway still. No concessions.. Add to that, I am promised, PROMISED delivery by the end of this month... Get an email from the logistics guy in Vegas which tells me delivery in a MONTH... November, 20th.... (I COULD HAVE ORDERED A NEW ONE and had it delivered to Orlando in less time.......)

Yup I agree with that. It certainly sounds like you have been run through the ringer! But with all due respect, the maneuver you tried to initiate, is extremely unusual. Relative to normal sales, hardly any cars are purchased from inventory, let alone moving cars between showrooms.

Tesla is completely oriented to the “build to order” model. 99% of Tesla s are ordered from the web site to your specifications, and shipped to you, typically in around six weeks or so (varies sometimes). There really are no spec built Tesla’s. The inventory may be show floor cars, but most are deals that did not get delivered for one reason or another.

A better approach is to configure and order the configuration you want. Then start looking through what might be available. If there is something around that comes close enough, you might be able to flip the order, if it makes sense.

Somebody (maybe more than one) screwed up. I have no idea how your, presumably new car, was loaned out to anyone. But they will fix it. If they find it, and they actually did loan it out, whatever the reason. I doubt you want it.

Tesla is completely oriented to the “build to order” model. 99% of Tesla s are ordered from the web site to your specifications, and shipped to you, typically in around six weeks or so (varies sometimes). There really are no spec built Tesla’s. The inventory may be show floor cars, but most are deals that did not get delivered for one reason or another.

Except Model 3s, but yeah. Most of our cars were custom orders. Patience is a virtue. Try and jump ahead of the queue outside the normal way of ordering a tesla, there are bound to be issues.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
this is why i've waited for my brand new build, as opposed to taking a shortcut with an inventory model, which lets face it is luck of the draw.

It’s absolutely the opposite. Inventory car is already built and one can at least see pictures or sometimes even in person before making a decision to purchase. OP had crappy luck with incompetent OAs, that’s all. I purchased 2 inventory cars, one with $22k discount and one with $19k. Totally worth it.

Luck of the draw is too strong for an inventory purchase. I bought an inventory model and thought the experience was fine. Dealer (Buena Park) was a mess but the car was in good shape and delivered on time. But I got a much heavier discount because of the 1K on the odometer. Down side is that there are cars in inventory so you have to select from the cars available.. For me I simply told them what I wanted and within two days they located one--exactly what I wanted--and a substantial discount.

Terrible experience and a good reason why I would only consider a custom ordered Tesla, especially with only a $1000 discount! I could see the point for a $10,000 discount, but otherwise it's better just to plan your vehicle purchase ahead of time.

No excuse for the poor service here though! After owning a Tesla for a little while it becomes obvious that inventory cars are routinely used as customer loaners. A friend of mine recently had his loaner swapped out because they sold it. It's an odd business model for sure!

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
Let me start by saying I bought an X, will be delivered soon.. I love the brand, love the X.. The "sales" model and such... Well get this...

So as someone that went from the CPO/Used search to then finalizing on a new, in-inventory model, I am ASTONISHED by the experience I have had with Tesla so far... Over 3 locations..

So I live in Orlando. Search started with Tesla of Orlando on my new, in-inventory search. Unfortunately my owner adviser, was unable to be reached the day I found an inventory Model X at Tesla Atlanta... So I reach out to Atlanta.. Get an owner adviser there, that initially, was very helpful. Not only locating the model they had, but as well, finding one in Indianapolis that also met my criteria. So great, Thursday of last week I commit my intent to drive up to Atlanta from Orlando and confirm my delivery first thing Monday morning.... Adviser sends me pics, confirms my arrival and encourages me to make the drive to take delivery on this X.

Drive up to Atlanta all excited, arrive Monday morning first thing, only to have them tell me the X I am now there to buy is a loaner car and is loaned out... Has been since Saturday and my owner adviser notified them I was coming up. "Honest mistake" is the only excuse I get from the adviser as I make the return trip back to Orlando and a 7 hour drive......

So.. Washing my hands of this guy, I reach out to Indianapolis.. Get a great owner adviser that confirms this model in inventory and can have it shipped down to me. Apparently, this model was a marketing vehicle, 700 miles on it, with a, roughly $1k incentive due to the miles. Checks all the boxes otherwise, so I commit to it, toss them my $2500 deposit and request updated pictures, imperfections, interior condition, etc...

What do I then find out? They have no idea where the car is.. NONE.. Turns out, their marketing vehicle that is NOT a loaner has been loaned.... The vehicle I have now completed purchase of, (even at the time of writing this, 24 hours later,) is sitting in some ladies driveway in Indianapolis! To get me the pictures I so need, they have the nerve to ask the person loaning my now purchased vehicle to take some pictures for them.. Which they then send me.. They DON'T ask the loaner be returned or swapped for another, they DON'T offer to deliver her a replacement loaner and take "my" X..

One MIGHT expect this at a Kia or Ford dealer.. (Who am I kidding. This is unfathomable from any brand, or industry.) But we are talking a six figure, "luxury, high line vehicle."

Apparently, only at Tesla can you buy a $100k+ car, that is currently being loaned to a service customer, of which no one truly has an idea of where the car actually is...

Sorry to hear. That experience sounds terrible. I would suggest looking for a good OA. Tell them the situation and see what they can do. They usually can get you free stuff like mats and charging cables. They may be able to get wheels.

I've purchased new and from inventory. Unless the inventory is tens of thousands off; it's usually better to buy from an order scratch. I've found that inventory models usually go on sale prior to some sort of update.

Then there's issues that you talked about; I've been on the other end.

SC: Can you bring the loaner back?
Me: My car is done?
SC: No, we sold the car and we really need it.
Me: Will I get another loaner?
SC: We don't have another one right now.
Me: So I'm supposed to drive an hour to you, drop off this car that you've sold; and then what? When is the car expected to be done?
SC: We don't have an ETA. We can make arrangements when you arrive.

Needless to say I turned them down, we went in circles until they said they'd contact me back after alternative transportation was secured. It was another 2 weeks and over a thousand miles added before they found me another loaner while my car was still being worked on. So if I had yours, I apologize; but I certainly wasn't going to go carless on the account that they sold the loaner...

The customer service used to be PHENOMENAL. Hopefully this is just growing pains and they get it right again.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks for the input all. I did cancel the order... Adviser is still "working with his manager to see what they can do," but told them it would need to be a substantial concession to keep it.

Regarding the inventory not the way to go route. If you check inventory, there are dozens, if not hundreds of new models available all over the country for purchase now. Custom might be absolutely the way to go, but as a business owner considering tax incentives and depreciation credit, was fearful of ordering and not getting before year end.

Lesson learned. For now, backing up and punting.

Thanks for the input all. I did cancel the order... Adviser is still "working with his manager to see what they can do," but told them it would need to be a substantial concession to keep it.

Regarding the inventory not the way to go route. If you check inventory, there are dozens, if not hundreds of new models available all over the country for purchase now. Custom might be absolutely the way to go, but as a business owner considering tax incentives and depreciation credit, was fearful of ordering and not getting before year end.

Lesson learned. For now, backing up and punting.

It's not neccesarily a hard - don't go inventory route. It's more so that there are much more variables. It's much easier when it's a local inventory; but I've been keeping an eye out on them and a lot of inventory cars are not that great of a deal anymore.

I've seen some that were "marked down" only to find out that it's because stuff like the PuP is now included; so the car shows $5,500 off the price. So it's just a lot more elbow grease to find the right car that's actually marked down to a good deal.

Also for what it's worth; the Tesla main page shows that orders now can still meet year end. Back in 2016; we ordered to try to meet year end for tax purposes as well. All in all, it took 7 days to lock the order in, 3 days to build it, and 9 days to ship it - all calendar days and we picked up ahead of schedule mid Dec when it was estimated for Dec 26. It's quite amazing how quickly these things get built.

• Love
Reactions: 2012MS85
So.. After telling my OA that I want to cancel my order because of their constant screw ups and being promised he would speak with his supervisor and see what concessions could be made.... I get a text from said supervisor 20 minutes ago, stating my vehicle has passed inspection and is being routed to logistics for delivery.....................................

The OA utterly and completely failed to even mention this to said supervisor.. She had zero idea I was wanting to cancel.

If I have learned anything.. It's that these OA's are a useless front man for the brand.. Half of them know less about the vehicle than I do, the other half are clearly poorly trained and poorly motivated individuals.

Forgiveness for my ranting here.. I am sure some of you can feel my pain in this one.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Just escalate to the store manager and call him/her. Re-tell them your story and ask for what you feel is fair. My X took exactly 60 days from order to delivery in Q2. If you order before Nov 1st, I’m quite sure it will get delivered by 12/31. I would order a new one. As someone once said about a Model X , “every month counts”. I had an inventory 2016 MX (bad car and experience) and now a 2018 MX which is superior in every way, Doors, Road Noise, Motors, Suspension, CPU, AutoPilot....

Good luck!

Good luck man. I've posted here before detailing my ongoing saga with a custom-ordered X. It's been 40 days since the point I paid in full and still don't have the vehicle. Supposedly it was going to be picked up by the delivery carrier 2 days ago, but I hadn't heard anything. When I contacted my DS again, they had no idea something had gone wrong.

It feels like every time I have to carefully pick up the ball they dropped, shove it into their hands, and wrap their fingers around it for them to realize it's still in their hands.

As for the people saying that everything is better with custom orders... HA! I ordered my car 4 months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: KWReid and shawncas
Good luck man. I've posted here before detailing my ongoing saga with a custom-ordered X. It's been 40 days since the point I paid in full and still don't have the vehicle. Supposedly it was going to be picked up by the delivery carrier 2 days ago, but I hadn't heard anything. When I contacted my DS again, they had no idea something had gone wrong.

It feels like every time I have to carefully pick up the ball they dropped, shove it into their hands, and wrap their fingers around it for them to realize it's still in their hands.

As for the people saying that everything is better with custom orders... HA! I ordered my car 4 months ago.

Welcome to Tesla lottery brothers :)

• Funny
Reactions: NoirMS