Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My nightmare relationship with Tesla came to an end today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i drove one for 4 years mate :) it was hybrid, but it was super comfy, miles better sound insulation, no rattles - built like tank. only good memories

had titanium x trim :)
Dual Mass Flywheel, diesel particulate filter, injectors... Lots of high price, very circumspect parts in those tdci engines. Decent mile muncher I will give you, built like tanks is going some

Back in the '80s, we used to talk about 'Friday afternoon cars' that freakishly had no end of issues with them. Yours sounds like that. Either that or it was made in Fremont. I was really nervous getting on the Tesla train due to these occasional horror stories, but I must say, we have had no issues at all in our first year, and if anything, our MY been the most reliable and best car we've had. Sad to hear your journey was so different. I can understand your frustration.
When I was a teenager, I had a summer job as in "stores" for a TV manufacturer. We would locate and count components from the shelves and stick them in bags which would then find their way to the production lines to be put into the PCBs for the TVs.
Occasionally we might just collect up any spare/odd transistors or whatever and add them to a bag of other similar components just to "tidy up". I figured that it kept the QA staff in a job.
*guilty*

• Funny
Reactions: Avendit
Just to address a few points I've taken from comments so far, in no order.

Firstly, why would I consider a model S, well, given the current price of 2018/19 models, I feel this could work out not too bad financially, not the same chance of continued depreciation compared to what I've went through with a new model 3 and assuming there is enough warranty left etc and as I say, it felt to me, more of a proper car to me. The other thing, if it goes bad or whatever, I could move it on with minimal loss and it would allow me to use the great sat nav I've been banging on about. But with that said, I can't honestly see myself buying another EV, not for quality or reliability reasons but simply cause I didn't save much in the way of running costs, if at all. As I pointed out many times before on this forum, any modern diesel will be more economical point to point that my Tesla was. I don't count home charging, firstly because I chose not to (too much hassle with the install), secondly cause I couldn't actually get rates that were substantially cheaper than public charging was at the time, especially without increasing my peak rate. Public charging for me will always be the deal breaker in terms of cost (cause you can't take your home with you when you travel). A recent 500 mile trip, using the superchargers, cost me more than it would have in a diesel. I had to make 4 stops, totalling £74 if memory serves me right to charge, o and I had to queue to charge twice.

The company that picked the car up told me that almost every 3rd or 4th car they collect is a Model 3 and always for electrical problems, take from that what you will.

My car was a China car, go figure.

I think too, I recall before buying mine, asking in these very forums if these cars needed constant fettling and from memory, without my blinkers on, I'm sure the answer was a resounding, no, but that has not exactly been the case. More often than not, something needs tweaking, adjusting, reseting every other drive. From the simple things like digital radio not working, to E-Call errors, then the more annoying things like profile settings not saving as they should, climate doing what it wants every now and again, windows not opening or closing properly, over night battery drain would increase every couple of weeks and required a reboot to fix. Repeatedly having to login to Apple Music or the other one (forget what it's called). Side cameras not working when going into reverse, cameras blinded at the slightest thought of some early morning sunshine, car taking control or braking for no reason. All those kind of things, every drive there was some sort of warning.

I think one other thing that I should have mentioned was the fact that these things are everywhere, what was once considered a bit special is now definitely not so.

Anyway, to wrap up again, I'm not sure where I'll go next, if by some curse of the gods, it happens to be a model S, I'll be sure to report back :cool:

I'm sorry you got a Lemon, but probably shouldn't over generalise to 'all ev's'. Also refusing to install or use home charging kinda puts the cost of running question back on you? I get that some don't have the option, but to choose not to rather means you don't get to complain about the cost?

I agree they need more customisation options with the increased volume. Hardly any 2 Audi's are the same, yet there are only really 2 trims for the Tesla card. Which makes for a lot of the same car in a carpark sometimes. Even some dealer fit trim part options would help people feel they were getting something a little more special.

Glad you managed to pass the lemon on, I hope you left a warning in the glove box for the next owner!

@Avendit If by referring to it as a Lemmon makes you feel any better about yours, then all well and good. I don't believe it was a Lemmon, I am of the opinion that they (model 3) are just overpriced junk (apart from the sat nav).

They are not great cars, they can probably be good cars, but thats not my experience and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind at all, if I were to pick up another new one tomorrow, many of the issues I've had and detailed above would be repeated. Granted, it might not need a couple of steering racks and a few charge ports, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the issues, including the complete lack of customer service would be the same.

As an additional point of note, I have many loaners during my 18 months, at least a dozen and not one of them was without fault, maybe they were all lemons too eh.

The reason I'm probably generalising EV's is because at the time of purchase and for the longest time before, maybe even still, Tesla were the one to go for, if you wanted an EV and if I take that as a given, it certainly doesnt say a lot for EV's. Public charging has also been too unreliable, I eventually lost count the number of times I rocked up to a charger only to find it not working or slightly more annoying, didn't work with my car but did with the next guy to come along.

As for refusing the install a charge port at home, it was a little more complicated than that but for one, I did not want to merge the fuel costs of my car into that of my home. There should be absolutely no reason that these cars can't be used, using only public charging. You can't take your home with you when you travel after all.

I'm naturally bitter given my financial loss and it may not come across, but I am pleased that there are so many happy Tesla owners out there and I genuinely wanted to be one of them.

I don't believe it was a Lemmon, I am of the opinion that they (model 3) are just overpriced junk

Isn't that based on your sample-size of one though?

I (family members) have had 3 M3s (and a couple of MSs). No trouble with any of them, and still own two M3 (the other chopped in for an MY solely because we needed hatchback)

I have no quibble with your "overpriced" point ... yet folk bought them.

Overpriced was because Tesla wait times grew long, Musk raised the price to calm the demand [and increase the Margin] ... people still bought them ... Musk raised the price again. Competitors maintained price but let their wait time grow to "years". Anyone that bought at the end of that period paid a premium. Significantly more factory capacity came on stream, which solved the "wait" period (and improvement in parts availability / economic downturn / competitors looking attractive to some of the buyers and/or buyers not wanted "same as everyone else on the road") and so the price is now falling ...

Buy the price isn't a hidden dealer negotiation, so folk who were buying high was 'coz they wanted one (presumably / hopefully!)

Very sorry to hear yours had so many problems, and disappointing that Tesla weren't able to provide a better service - "Have this one and we'll sort yours out and then move it on" wouldn't seem unreasonable to me (no idea if any brand actually does that ... fix it, give it to a staff member, and once its done enough miles to be sure it is definitely fixed then stuff it in Inventory)

I did not want to merge the fuel costs of my car into that of my home

No issue with that, naturally, but my view from the side-lines is that (for anyone with off street parking) EVs are coming ... Home Charging will be done at some point ... its going to cost a £grand ... either now or later. For those with multiple cars on the driveway that's going to be 2+ home chargers in due course.

Personally I don't see a reason to wait ... (tiny mileage and granny-charger sufficient, maybe)

Last edited:
Back in the '80s, we used to talk about 'Friday afternoon cars' that freakishly had no end of issues with them. Yours sounds like that. Either that or it was made in Fremont. I was really nervous getting on the Tesla train due to these occasional horror stories, but I must say, we have had no issues at all in our first year, and if anything, our MY been the most reliable and best car we've had. Sad to hear your journey was so different. I can understand your frustration.
Yep. Sounds like a Friday afternooner. It's a shame as it puts you off. Had a Saab 9-3 that was a steaming heap. Back in the day.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The only car company that didn't produce Friday afternoon cars were British Leyland - usually because they were on strike with Red Robbo plus, all of their cars were lemons Monday to Thursday too,
In BL terms, a Friday Afternoon car was one that didn't breakdown, bits didn't fall off and everything worked - and the orange peel paint was compulsory.
I served my apprenticeship with a BL main dealer and it paid dividends - There wasn't a part of a BL car that i hadn't taken apart to repair - back in the days when we actually repaired stuff rather than replace.

The only car company that didn't produce Friday afternoon cars were British Leyland

new_badge_1.jpg

:)

Reactions: zoomer0056
mate, Ford mondeo which costs half the price is built much much better than tesla. as mentioned, it is 20k car (read - fiesta, corsa price level) car with 5k for the tablet and infotainment (i would prefer cheaper android auto/car play though) and 20k for battery and another 5k for the motor
Having gone from a Titanium X mondeo to a Model y, I can firmly say the Tesla is a much better car, quieter, smoother, more comfortable…. Only real issue is the auto wipers…

Equivalent price ICE (circa £40k) cars (quasqai, Tiguan) are terrible in comparison to the Model Y.