Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My nightmare relationship with Tesla came to an end today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having gone from a Titanium X mondeo to a Model y, I can firmly say the Tesla is a much better car, quieter, smoother, more comfortable…. Only real issue is the auto wipers…

Equivalent price ICE (circa £40k) cars (quasqai, Tiguan) are terrible in comparison to the Model Y.
how can it be quieter in model Y when it has frameless windows (meaning more noise) and overall sound proofing is more or less non-existant?!

it depends on engine, maybe? if you had a diesel or something that might have caused some engine noise, but in general, as I remember, sound proofing was way better in Mondeo.

According this: Auto Decibel Database

inside noise in Hybrid Mondeo (aka Fusion in states) at 70 mph is 67 db

Inside noise in Tesla M3 is ~75 db and model Y is almost 73-74

Hell, even mach-e is significantly quieter than teslas

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Wow totally understand your decision to move on after this disaster! That said, no - you definitely did get a lemon! Most are nothing like yours at all! I haven't even heard of many of the issues you had, never mind everything you experienced on a single car. Also, I get that there's maybe more to it, but your stated reasons for not home charging just seem really self defeating. There are plenty of ways to know how much charging an EV is costing you even if your 'car and home fuel costs are merged'. I don't even understand how that's an issue.

You have to get into the EV mindset. While of course you can 'refuel' them only at public locations like an ICE car, it makes no sense to do so, or want to do so, if you don't have to. Just let it 'refuel' while you're asleep. By refusing to do that all you're doing is making the EV experience worse than it needs to be and hitting yourself in the wallet. Seems like a mental hurdle to get over sooner or later. Particularly if you're really considering an S, but definitely for the day you really are forced into an EV!

I don’t buy some of your views around ICE being more likely to have issues than an EV. Yes an ICE has more parts that might go wrong but they’ve been making them for 100+ years and the companies that make them just as long.

EV cars are still pretty new and in some of the cases the companies making them are pretty new also. Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, Fisker, BYD, etc. The traditional manufacturers of course have EV’s but most of those are the same platform as their ICE with the engine ripped out. They ain’t perfectly optimised to be an EV.

It’ll all get better and EV’s are obviously the future but cannot blame someone at this point for still considering an ICE. There’s more choice, still get more car for your money until battery costs come down and guaranteed easy fill up on long journeys.

Also if you had a car with as many issues as the OP, you’d have the same opinion. Lucky it’s not happened to you but no need to kick him when he’s down by saying your cars perfect 😉

As for refusing the install a charge port at home, it was a little more complicated than that but for one, I did not want to merge the fuel costs of my car into that of my home. There should be absolutely no reason that these cars can't be used, using only public charging. You can't take your home with you when you travel after all.

I'm naturally bitter given my financial loss and it may not come across, but I am pleased that there are so many happy Tesla owners out there and I genuinely wanted to be one of them.
No argument that without home charging EVs don't make sense to own, but your logic of not doing home charging makes absolutely no sense to me.

BTW, our daily driver MS's have been excellent - especially since they now do upwards of 350 miles per charge.

how can it be quieter in model Y when it has frameless windows (meaning more noise) and overall sound proofing is more or less non-existant?!

it depends on engine, maybe? if you had a diesel or something that might have caused some engine noise, but in general, as I remember, sound proofing was way better in Mondeo.

According this: Auto Decibel Database

inside noise in Hybrid Mondeo (aka Fusion in states) at 70 mph is 67 db

Inside noise in Tesla M3 is ~75 db and model Y is almost 73-74

Hell, even mach-e is significantly quieter than teslas
I’d be curious to see today’s Teslas as that video is close to 3 years old. There have been changes made since then like double pane windows and suspension updates.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to see today’s Teslas as that video is close to 3 years old. There have been changes made since then like double pane windows and suspension updates.
A loaner 3p I had that was only 6 months younger than my p- was much smoother and quieter than mine. And that doesn't have most of the official improvements.

(Mine is pretty reasonably built for a Fremont 3 so no wind noise until 85+, but on a bad surface it is very noisy. Or silent on a new smooth surface.)

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and SO16
yeah.. at least model 3 with double glazing is more or less same

if you check Bjorn's file for Noise at 120 km/h (70 mph)

you will see that model 3 and model Y are basically at the bottom of the noise test (loudest).

therefore I am really surprised when anyone tells that tesla models 3/Y are quiet.

it also depends on tyres I would say at some extent

yeah.. at least model 3 with double glazing is more or less same

if you check Bjorn's file for Noise at 120 km/h (70 mph)

you will see that model 3 and model Y are basically at the bottom of the noise test (loudest).

therefore I am really surprised when anyone tells that tesla models 3/Y are quiet.

it also depends on tyres I would say at some extent
I guess it depends on the tester too.

I guess it depends on the tester too.

Well if using a sound meter, it's not a matter of opinion. I'm fine with my wife's few month old M3P in terms of noise but that doesn't mean it's quiet. It's the worst car we've had for a long time in terms of how much outside noise gets into the car, it just doesn't bother us too much either is all.

Reactions: yessuz
it is a 50k car ffs. you should not be required to do such things...
It was also, especially for us early adopters, a risk we choose to take.

With those kits, at least on my car, there is already a second seal, so I've always be quite unconvinced by them. The doors can seal well, you may need to get the service centre or be willing to DIY some alignment. If it's wind noise there are known problem with early windscreen sealing on the a pillar and some small gaps around the wing mirrors that are quite easy to fix if you want to try that instead of living with the noise.

What there doesn't seem to be a fix for is the road noise. And it's the road noise that makes me distrust all the sound meters on YouTube. It's too random - road surface, weather/wind, speed, other cars all have to be controlled for, and when I got into this stuff with a previous car I realised the futility of driving with a soundmeter as a diagnostic.

Reactions: Adopado
have you (or others) considered a second door seal "ring"? Family member did that (much older car) and it made a big difference.
Nah, it's a lease and not going to spend any money on it. We are fine with it as in it doesn't bother us but just commenting that it's clearly not a leader in this space.

I mean a lot of ICE cars these days at least from the German's have to play engine noise over the speakers because otherwise you cannot hear it much. Between the chances to noise regulations that force their exhausts to be more quiet and just the vastly better sound insultation. I'm sure Tesla could do better, I just don't think they care for the most part. It goes against their moto of making their cars as cheap as possible.

It was also, especially for us early adopters, a risk we choose to take.

With those kits, at least on my car, there is already a second seal, so I've always be quite unconvinced by them. The doors can seal well, you may need to get the service centre or be willing to DIY some alignment. If it's wind noise there are known problem with early windscreen sealing on the a pillar and some small gaps around the wing mirrors that are quite easy to fix if you want to try that instead of living with the noise.

What there doesn't seem to be a fix for is the road noise. And it's the road noise that makes me distrust all the sound meters on YouTube. It's too random - road surface, weather/wind, speed, other cars all have to be controlled for, and when I got into this stuff with a previous car I realised the futility of driving with a soundmeter as a diagnostic.
Do you think it's got anything to do with the configuration of the vent on the "parcel shelf".

I seem to remember these were slowly sealed up over a number of revisions.