Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Nightmare Service Center Experience From Hell :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I went to the Brooklyn service center to get my headliner replaced because it was first damaged at another service center when they swapped my roof glass when it arrived defective from the factory.

When I went to pick up my car from the Brooklyn service center there were multiple scratches plus dirty fingerprints on my overall cloth-liner on the inside of my car ranging from headliner, back-liner and most importantly the two pillars beside my windshield. This is a brand new car delivered not even 2 months ago with less than 2000 miles on it, but wait this is not the worst result.

Wait for it.......

After the headliner was replaced at the Brooklyn service center, the piece was not secured properly as the back-liner. In fact the headliner wasn't even touching my glass roof and can be easily wiggled apart right above the b pillar of my car but that's not even the worst part of this repair. After the service my brand new car that I just purchased not even for 2 month is leaking in water whenever it rains. The car makes a ping pong-like noise almost like the noise of a turn signal when raining right in the middle of two doors where the front headliner meets the back-liner. My passenger who's sitting in the passenger seat in the front can physically feel the rain droplets on them. I left my car out for an entire day after it rained to come back to my model Y fully fogged up on every single window. There is physical rain water on my all-weather floor mats that go up to at least an inch from the sides, when I lifted the all weather rubber mats the carpet underneath it was all wet entirely on my rear seat's footing area.

My headliner is not fitted properly, as it doesn't even connect with my B-pillar as there is a gap between them, my black door seal wasn't fitted back correctly as it's super loose from the touch and can be pulled apart easily from my car.

I'm at a loss of words as to how my car is treated at the Brooklyn service center, at this point I do not know what I should do next. I tried to book the next earliest appointment for my car but it's not until Sept the 12th can I take my car in, both the carpet mats and the carpet itself under my floor mats are still wet from the rain and I constantly sneezes when I stay a long period of time in my car. I would never imagine how a headliner replacement can turn into a repair nightmare for my newly purchased Tesla, if anyone has any ideas as to what I should do at this point please let me know as I'm just super hopeless now.

Had I known this would be the outcome of replacing my headliner I would rather have the scratches on it than to mess my car to this degree, it's really disheartening to me. :(

Please help me,

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
All you can do is keep taking it back to them until it is right. Also, research your state's lemon laws. Usually it is some variation on having to take the car back X times for the same problem and they are unable to fix it.

Hopefully they can give you a loaner!

I am reading more and more of these stories lately and it makes me sad....

OP: Do you have a trusted body shop that you could visit? I would start there, have the mgmt there document your issues, and offer you an estimate what it would cost for THEM to correct all the errors. (It might not be all that complicated.)

I would then take that estimate to the most senior person at the Brooklyn SC. Having done your own research, you would know exactly what is involved in correcting the problems. I would gently push the SC mgmt to decide if they are able to do the job correctly this time, or suggest that they sub it out and pay the invoice.

A good manager might realize that his/her crew isn't capable of doing this work, and maybe, just maybe, they'll sub it out.

Hope this makes sense. Interior work, especially ceiling liner, isn't terribly complicated, but it does require some experience...AND A CLEAN TECH AND ENVIRONMENT.

Please help me,

Putting aside the story here for a second, "please help you" what, exactly? Beside commiserating with you, and saying "that shouldnt happen" what "help" are you looking for from strangers on a forum?

If "help" means "advice", there isnt much here anyone can advice other than to:

1. Take it back to the service center and show them the issues
2. take it to another service center other than your closest one and show them the issues caused
3. keep taking it back until its fixed, or until you trigger lemon law threshholds in your state.
4. Sell the car

Thats basically it, there is no advice to give other than those things, unless you are looking for some other help that I cant think of right now. What are you looking for, as far as help, from people on the forum?

Reactions: AlexHung
That may work with any other car manufacturer. Tesla has no customer service to call it in to or a PR dept. to help respond.
Ofc Tesla has customer service. What they don't have is Public Relations. There is a difference between the two. OP should contact the service center directly or customer service. In any case he just needs a human, because if that's true what happened to his car it's freaking awful.

Putting aside the story here for a second, "please help you" what, exactly? Beside commiserating with you, and saying "that shouldnt happen" what "help" are you looking for from strangers on a forum?

If "help" means "advice", there isnt much here anyone can advice other than to:

2. take it to another service center other than your closest one and show them the issues caused
3. keep taking it back until its fixed, or until you trigger lemon law threshholds in your state.
4. Sell the car

Thats basically it, there is no advice to give other than those things, unless you are looking for some other help that I cant think of right now. What are you looking for, as far as help, from people on the forum?
Wow, not sure the analysis was necessary. The post seems to be getting plenty of help from everyone except Tesla before your critique. I think it was obvious that they were looking for advice when they asked for “help”

Reactions: play150
Wow, not sure the analysis was necessary. The post seems to be getting plenty of help from everyone except Tesla before your critique. I think it was obvious that they were looking for advice when they asked for “help”

What help was that, that was different than the advice I provided? Sometimes people post like this to just rant, and thats fine. Thats what the post looked like at first, in fact, was someone who just wanted to rant about what they experienced. Again, thats fine.

"Please help me" is a pretty powerful request. Its not the same as "Does anyone have any advice other than take it back to them?" to me. That statement ("please help me") is basically begging people to assist, vs asking a question. You may think I am splitting hairs or something, but if the statement was "does anyone have any advice?" I would not have even responded, because there was already some responses.

Since it was "please help me" I wanted to figure out what was being looked for, to see if I could assist in some way.... but I have no idea how I or anyone else could help in this case.

So, I asked the question, and provided every option that I am aware of, and asked if that was what they were looking for.

Last edited:
Hint: You know how you have to attach pictures when you make a service appointment request? Post those same pictures here.

1 picture = 1000 words, ...etc...

Hello Everyone,

I went to the Brooklyn service center to get my headliner replaced because it was first damaged at another service center when they swapped my roof glass when it arrived defective from the factory.

When I went to pick up my car from the Brooklyn service center there were multiple scratches plus dirty fingerprints on my overall cloth-liner on the inside of my car ranging from headliner, back-liner and most importantly the two pillars beside my windshield. This is a brand new car delivered not even 2 months ago with less than 2000 miles on it, but wait this is not the worst result.

Wait for it.......

After the headliner was replaced at the Brooklyn service center, the piece was not secured properly as the back-liner. In fact the headliner wasn't even touching my glass roof and can be easily wiggled apart right above the b pillar of my car but that's not even the worst part of this repair. After the service my brand new car that I just purchased not even for 2 month is leaking in water whenever it rains. The car makes a ping pong-like noise almost like the noise of a turn signal when raining right in the middle of two doors where the front headliner meets the back-liner. My passenger who's sitting in the passenger seat in the front can physically feel the rain droplets on them. I left my car out for an entire day after it rained to come back to my model Y fully fogged up on every single window. There is physical rain water on my all-weather floor mats that go up to at least an inch from the sides, when I lifted the all weather rubber mats the carpet underneath it was all wet entirely on my rear seat's footing area.

My headliner is not fitted properly, as it doesn't even connect with my B-pillar as there is a gap between them, my black door seal wasn't fitted back correctly as it's super loose from the touch and can be pulled apart easily from my car.

I'm at a loss of words as to how my car is treated at the Brooklyn service center, at this point I do not know what I should do next. I tried to book the next earliest appointment for my car but it's not until Sept the 12th can I take my car in, both the carpet mats and the carpet itself under my floor mats are still wet from the rain and I constantly sneezes when I stay a long period of time in my car. I would never imagine how a headliner replacement can turn into a repair nightmare for my newly purchased Tesla, if anyone has any ideas as to what I should do at this point please let me know as I'm just super hopeless now.

Had I known this would be the outcome of replacing my headliner I would rather have the scratches on it than to mess my car to this degree, it's really disheartening to me. :(

Please help me,

Hint: You know how you have to attach pictures when you make a service appointment request? Post those same pictures here.

1 picture = 1000 words, ...etc...
im taking the pictures right now so you guys can be the judge.... and I thank you for everyone else that helped me here im trying to call in and speak with someone. Does anyone knows how can I contact HQ on this issue? The service center at Brooklyn isn't really doing much to help.

im taking the pictures right now so you guys can be the judge.... and I thank you for everyone else that helped me here im trying to call in and speak with someone. Does anyone knows how can I contact HQ on this issue? The service center at Brooklyn isn't really doing much to help.
Use any regular social media you use publicly to communicate your story. Pictures help. Don't embellish either way to avoid looking like a whiny!!! RANTER!!!!
You either want them to fix the problem or to get them to lemon the car.

There isnt any way to "contact HQ" really, other than public tweeting at elon. Take it to a different service center if you have issues with that one (although they will have put notes in your account if they dont think they are at fault). Your options are as I laid them out previously.

3. keep taking it back until its fixed, or until you trigger lemon law threshholds in your state, then pursue lemon law buyback
4. Sell the car

I had a similar experience at the Austin service center. I agree with most here, if there is an issue, nobody cares. I have tweeted @tesla, sent email to local team, and put notes in the service app. And why should they care, they have too many orders for too few cars. If they ignore the problem, it goes away eventually.

Here is my unusual solution, when I took delivery in June 2021 and cosmetic issues surfaced, I ordered another car. With prices of these vehicles going up and up, I can take to Carmax and probably get my money back. If I can, I will sell them the car and take delivery of new one. If I can’t, I’ll cancel order and deal with it. What a crazy time!