TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My "No Spare Tire" Kit

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SgtTortuga, Aug 18, 2018.

1. SgtTortuga

SgtTortuga Member

I picked up my M3 on July 28, 2018. This is my first car without a spare tire. After doing a bit of research I have put together a kit for my M3 to deal with a flat tire if roadside assistance is not an easy option. My kit includes:
    • Viair 88P Compressor (Purchased on Amazon)
    • Slime Deluxe Tire Plug Kit (Purchased from Walmart)
    • Milwaukee 6 inch Long Nose Torque Lock Pliers (Purchased from Home Depot)
    The Viair 88P hooks directly to the 12 volt battery. (Red first, then black.) I tested it by deflating my front left tire to 19.5 pounds and then re-inflated it to 42.5 pounds. I left the Tesla "on" by leaving the driver door ajar. The compressor worked great and inflated the tire in a minute or two. (I didn't time it.)

This compressor is probably overkill, but it was not that much more than lesser models, is definitely cheaper than the official Tesla model, and I don't have to worry about drawing too much current through the cigarette lighter plug.

The long nose locking pliers are to pull any nail or screw out of the tire. Not pictures is a pair of leather work gloves and a knife I keep in a tool bag in the rear trunk.

Hopefully I never need to use this kit, but I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles and San Diego three or four times per year, so better safe than sorry.
    . Tire Kit 1 Resized.jpg Tire Kit 2 Resized.jpg

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I'd add a can of fix a flat/tire slime as well. Quicker and easier and sometimes the plug needs help! Yes you might end up needing to replace the pressure sensor, but it beats being stranded! Had just this scenario happen to me with my Volt in a remote area with no cell service!

3. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Please Insert a Model 3 into Avatar

I heard that fix-a-flat doesn't work that well with these tires because it'll gunk up the acoustic foam inside the tire. It won't spread like a normal tire.
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. Shopaholic

Shopaholic Member

I was thinking of adding the same and also a scissor jack (got one Model 3 puck) and tire plug kit. The foam may not spread as mentioned above ?

5. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

I've had to repair a punctured flat/tire on my S and previous 3... the slime plug kit (they sell one with a compressor) saved me both times in some awkward circumstances. Core, plug, compress and go; changing a spare would have been much more work. I highly recommend carrying one.

• Like x 1
  6. Need

Need Member

This is my "No Spare Kit" :)

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  7. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Tesla comes with roadside assistance.

• Like x 1
  8. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

• Like x 1
  9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

10. Willy3988

Willy3988 Member

A piece of chalk or a Sharpie to mark the hole prior to removing the screw or nail would help. Also a razor blade to trim the excess plug material.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

maybe this is a better view
    10 mins and you're rolling. I wish these new cars had spares

• Like x 1
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

#12 SageBrush, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    That is my last resort.

Here is my kit:
    Tyre repair kit with goo
    Tyre repair kit with a plug
    Pliars
    Screwdriver
    Retractable knife
    Battery for recharging electronics or a dead 12v
    Disposable gloves
    Cleaning wipes
    Warm blanket
    Flashlight
    Box of Granola bars
    Bottle of water
    Rain Jacket
    Two hats
    Floor mat

13. SgtTortuga

SgtTortuga Member

I like the idea of chalk to mark the hole. I will add that to my kit.

14. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

I also carry a gallon of water and a sleeping bag lives in my frunk. The water usually gets used, along with a bucket and squeegee that live in the trunk, for cleaning the windshield at Supercharger Stations, but it is really intended for emergencies. Traveling in the desert without water is a bad idea IMO; if it always stays in the trunk I can't forget it.

In addition to the things mentioned by others above, it is helpful to have a tire pressure gauge in the car.
    That isn't particularly helpful when out of a cell phone reception area, something that is quite common where I live and drive. Some of us need (or want) to be able to "self-rescue."

15. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Post deleted

16. Need

Need Member

No I agree with you. If I live in area that snows or with lots of no cell reception zones, I would want to have a kit too.