Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3 on July 28, 2018. This is my first car without a spare tire. After doing a bit of research I have put together a kit for my M3 to deal with a flat tire if roadside assistance is not an easy option. My kit includes:
  • Viair 88P Compressor (Purchased on Amazon)
  • Slime Deluxe Tire Plug Kit (Purchased from Walmart)
  • Milwaukee 6 inch Long Nose Torque Lock Pliers (Purchased from Home Depot)
The Viair 88P hooks directly to the 12 volt battery. (Red first, then black.) I tested it by deflating my front left tire to 19.5 pounds and then re-inflated it to 42.5 pounds. I left the Tesla "on" by leaving the driver door ajar. The compressor worked great and inflated the tire in a minute or two. (I didn't time it.)

This compressor is probably overkill, but it was not that much more than lesser models, is definitely cheaper than the official Tesla model, and I don't have to worry about drawing too much current through the cigarette lighter plug.

The long nose locking pliers are to pull any nail or screw out of the tire. Not pictures is a pair of leather work gloves and a knife I keep in a tool bag in the rear trunk.

Hopefully I never need to use this kit, but I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles and San Diego three or four times per year, so better safe than sorry.
. Tire Kit 1 Resized.jpg Tire Kit 2 Resized.jpg

I'd add a can of fix a flat/tire slime as well. Quicker and easier and sometimes the plug needs help! Yes you might end up needing to replace the pressure sensor, but it beats being stranded! Had just this scenario happen to me with my Volt in a remote area with no cell service!

I was thinking of adding the same and also a scissor jack (got one Model 3 puck) and tire plug kit. The foam may not spread as mentioned above ?

I've had to repair a punctured flat/tire on my S and previous 3... the slime plug kit (they sell one with a compressor) saved me both times in some awkward circumstances. Core, plug, compress and go; changing a spare would have been much more work. I highly recommend carrying one.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
This is my "No Spare Kit" :)
That is my last resort.

Here is my kit:
Tyre repair kit with goo
Tyre repair kit with a plug
Pliars
Screwdriver
Retractable knife
Battery for recharging electronics or a dead 12v
Disposable gloves
Cleaning wipes
Warm blanket
Flashlight
Box of Granola bars
Bottle of water
Rain Jacket
Two hats
Floor mat

Last edited:
That is my last resort.

Here is my kit:
Tyre repair kit with goo
Tyre repair kit with a plug
Pliars
Screwdriver
Retractable knife
Battery for recharging electronics or a dead 12v
Disposable gloves
Cleaning wipes
Warm blanket
Flashlight
Box of Granola bars
Bottle of water
Rain Jacket
Two hats
Floor mat
I also carry a gallon of water and a sleeping bag lives in my frunk. The water usually gets used, along with a bucket and squeegee that live in the trunk, for cleaning the windshield at Supercharger Stations, but it is really intended for emergencies. Traveling in the desert without water is a bad idea IMO; if it always stays in the trunk I can't forget it.

In addition to the things mentioned by others above, it is helpful to have a tire pressure gauge in the car.
This is my "No Spare Kit" :)

logo.png
That isn't particularly helpful when out of a cell phone reception area, something that is quite common where I live and drive. Some of us need (or want) to be able to "self-rescue."

Reactions: KJD and DR61
Everyone here who assembled or purchased the Tesla sealant kit or a Slime sealant kit and still has their OEM tires on the car, return them for a full refund. They will NOT WORK on your car, and it will prevent professional repairs to the tire unless you rip out the sound pad from each tire and throw it away. Jedi2155 is 100% correct!

Aluminum Racing floor Jack

Torque Wrench and socket.

Air Compressor

Plug kit

And yes Tesla OEM slime sealant/compressor. Tesla will not replace inflation sensor if you use any other type(or so they say).

Inverted Road Reflector Delineator for Jack pad.

Adding Tire Chalk, Great idea.

Has anyone purchased a 12V tire inflator/compressor that is proven to work with the M3 12V fuses? most of decent models I've seen online require a 15A fuse but the M3 have 12A fuses.

I received this one today from Amazon. It's still sitting on my front porch, so I can't attest to how well it works, but the reviews are good and it was recommended in a Tesla forum somewhere. The current draw appears to be 10A. It's also nice and compact; should easily go in the little cubby in the left corner of the trunk nearest the tail light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WOT3YM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vv2ZBb1CW87AW

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow