Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadside kit includes an aluminum jack from an Audi A4 with a custom jack-pad on it.
I also carry a 21mm non-marring socket, a shortie breaker-bar, a tire plug kit, a compact digital pressure gauge, and a tiny compressor from HF (works surprisingly well) that's powered from my high current aux' 12V ports. All of these items fit in a little canvas bag that lives in the lower trunk.
The locking pliers & chalk are very good ideas! I'll definitely be adding those to my kit.
-Mark
tesla_jack4.jpg

tesla_jack2.jpg

tesla_jack3.jpg

tesla_jack5.jpg

The HF compressor you linked shows amperage of 14A, have you been able to inflate a tire to a decent pressure without tripping the 12A virtual fuse of the M3?

My roadside kit includes an aluminum jack from an Audi A4 with a custom jack-pad on it.
I also carry a 21mm non-marring socket, a shortie breaker-bar, a tire plug kit, a compact digital pressure gauge, and a tiny compressor from HF (works surprisingly well) that's powered from my high current aux' 12V ports. All of these items fit in a little canvas bag that lives in the lower trunk.
The locking pliers & chalk are very good ideas! I'll definitely be adding those to my kit.
-Mark

-Mark
tesla_jack4.jpg

tesla_jack2.jpg

tesla_jack3.jpg

tesla_jack5.jpg
Nice find. I just ordered one on eBay for $25. Is that the streetrays jack point adaptor you modified?

• Informative
Reactions: Yankees
The HF compressor you linked shows amperage of 14A...
I installed auxiliary 12V ports in my trunk & center console... I would not plug this (or any) 12V compressor into the M3's piddly cig' lighter socket!

Is that the streetrays jack point adaptor you modified?
I machined the jack pad from a piece of aluminum round bar. The protective pad on top is cut from a sheet of Sintra.
tesla_jack6.jpg

Reactions: KenC
I have one of those Lithium battery jump starters. Handy if the 12V battery dies. It uses an EC-5 connector to the battery cables so I made an adapter on my compressor so that I can use the jump starter to run my compressor. I don't have to worry about the 'fuse' value in the car and it is ultra portable.
Another item that may come in handy is a tire valve removal tool. Without the valve in the valve stem, you can move a lot more air when trying to reseat a bead.

I received this one today from Amazon. It's still sitting on my front porch, so I can't attest to how well it works, but the reviews are good and it was recommended in a Tesla forum somewhere. The current draw appears to be 10A. It's also nice and compact; should easily go in the little cubby in the left corner of the trunk nearest the tail light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WOT3YM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vv2ZBb1CW87AW
I will answer my own question as to how well this one works. I tried this machine this evening and didn't like it. Fumbling with the cord that plugs into the 12V socket was a pain in my garage and would be even more so on a cold, dark night; moreover, the built-in tire gauge seemed inaccurate against one I know to be good, and removing the hose from the tire valve after flipping the disconnect lever was quite difficult, resulting in several PSI of air escaping from the tire. This will be going back to Amazon.

I will stick with the Ryobi rechargable-battery powered one from Home Depot. It's a bit more expensive but very easy to use. I already have one for my wife's Volvo, and now will get a second one for the Model 3.

In addition to the things mentioned by others above, it is helpful to have a tire pressure gauge in the car.
That isn't particularly helpful when out of a cell phone reception area, something that is quite common where I live and drive. Some of us need (or want) to be able to "self-rescue."
I highly suggest getting one of the satellite communicators. Garmin inReach is one of the more reasonably priced ones. You can use it to call for help _anywhere_.

I was thinking of adding the same and also a scissor jack (got one Model 3 puck) and tire plug kit. The foam may not spread as mentioned above ?

That’s a good idea that if you bother to carry a plug kit, a scissor jack along with it could make things a lot easier

I just don’t get how this goo works ( regardless of insulation issue ). Do you have to roll the tire to spread the goo?

I have not had a flat on the road in 25 years or more. Yes a nail that was slow leak I always caught in my driveway or at work and fixed at my leasure.

My wife popped a bead once hitting a railroad track pot hole. I don’t think goo would have saved her.

How often do you get flat say on the highway that would be small enough that goo or plug could fix that you couldn’t make it to home without some extra air.

If it goes flat that fast it’s probably a pretty big hole.

Just trying to think this through.

How often do you get flat say on the highway that would be small enough that goo or plug could fix that you couldn’t make it to home without some extra air.
Probably not super likely. I think the most common leak is a slow leak from a nail or screw. But, a tire goes down pretty fast once the nail is pulled. So a nail in a board on the highway would be a plug-able example.

My bmw has a sidewalk blow out. No chance doing anything with that. Fortunately the spare had a leak and there was no lug wrench. So it was one of those days.

Reactions: mswlogo
-Mark
tesla_jack4.jpg

tesla_jack2.jpg

tesla_jack3.jpg

tesla_jack5.jpg

Wow!!! This looks great! Where did you purchase that jack and what is it rated at? Has it lifted the rear of your Tesla M3 without showing signs of stress?

Found this posted today on the official Tesla Motor Model 3 Forum

November 2, 2018
A few things:
#1 Buyer Beware: The aftermarket spare tire kits available online come with a dangerous looking China made scissor jack. It not only has a flat head on it without the required pin for the Model 3 lift point, it has no provision to tie down and secure the wheel/tire assembly (off a Genesis) that could pose a severe safety risk in an accident. I fear it could come through the rear seats and into the passenger compartment. Plus the darn thing takes up your entire trunk! Good idea, poorly thought out.

#2 The issues with the Tire Sealant Kits you have all heard about are correct. If your Tesla tire has the sound deadening pad lining the inside of the tread, neither the Tesla nor the Green slime (etc) kits will work. https://carwitter.com/2013/08/17/quieter-tyres-from-continental-contisil... The reasons are simple. The pad is so dense and thick, it prevents the sealant from reaching and entering the hole. The sealants simply run alongside the outer edges of the pad, seep into the pad like a sponge, harden and will render the tire completely useless and unrepairable by a professional shop because the goo will disproportionally absorb into the sponge making rebalancing impossible. The ONLY solution would be to repla$e the tire or to physically remove the silencing pad entirely and then service the tire. You can get your money back if you complain. In fact I read that one Tesla owner had the company replace the unserviceable tire for free and refund him for the Repair kit as well!

#3 The Tesla Wheel Lock set made by RDK Tech for the Model 3 are also a possible scam. We bought two sets for our Teslas only to find that they were interchangeable despite the fact they both had different Keys Codes! A call to the manufacturer confirmed that they were aware of the problem, claimed they were only given a week to get their product designed and ready by Tesla Product Development. So all a thief needs to do is buy a set for himself and viola!... goodbye wheels.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155 and brkaus
That’s a good idea that if you bother to carry a plug kit, a scissor jack along with it could make things a lot easier

I just don’t get how this goo works ( regardless of insulation issue ). Do you have to roll the tire to spread the goo?

I have not had a flat on the road in 25 years or more. Yes a nail that was slow leak I always caught in my driveway or at work and fixed at my leasure.

My wife popped a bead once hitting a railroad track pot hole. I don’t think goo would have saved her.

If it goes flat that fast it’s probably a pretty big hole.

Just trying to think this through.

It appears that neither the rope plug nor the mushroom style plug will work if you find yourself in a jam and your tires are equipped with the internal silencing pad. We’re all trying to find a solution, we have a pump, we have a jack, (thanks to siminoff) yet still needing a custom jack-point adaptor and a tire repair plug kit that will work on OEM tires with the built-in silencing pad... getting close but no cigar... yet!

I’ve used the rope plug in the oem Goodyear model S foam tires. Still holding fine - 20k miles.

We have as well but without success. You do know that rope plugs are not considered a permanent fix, that they’re meant only as a temporary repair to get you out of a jam, so that the tire can be dismounted and properly repaired later as stated on the plug’s packaging.

We have as well but without success. You do know that rope plugs are not considered a permanent fix, that they’re meant only as a temporary repair to get you out of a jam, so that the tire can be dismounted and properly repaired later as stated on the plug’s packaging.

I’ve used those rope style kits for eons with no issues at all. They are not a temporary fix. They are just not considered as robust as a patch plug.

I tend to not like the shops that bore the tires hole out with a 1/4 inch reamer to get the plug in. If it’s just say a finish nail, I have thinned the rope in order to get it in. I try not to expand the hole so as not to risk damaging a cord. Sometimes it’s a royal b$tch getting just the tool through a small hole but I prefer not make the hole bigger. As long as I know it was a clean puncture.

Rope kits can certainly work long term.

I also see no reason the foam would interfere.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Yes. That’s the modern way to fix a tire, with a patch from the inside.

Many years before lawyers ruled the world, rope plugs and rubber cement did a pretty good job.

I expect sometime soon any sort of tire patch will not be allowed and only new tires will the approved repair solution.

Edit to add - I’d probably have the tires in my kids cars patched from inside. And I won’t try if it’s close to the sidewalk.

Also, I read foam tire manufacturers allow grinding out the foam to apply a patch inside on some repair document.

Last edited:
Oh boy, that’s dangerous! Not to brag nor to pull rank, but I’m a retired Mercedes Benz factory trained master mechanic & licensed service tech, Lately I restore collectable cars in my 18,000 sq foot shop here in Maryland, a few of which you may have seen on Leno’s Garage and Macum Auto Auctions etc.

Contrary to what you all may wish to believe, top inserted rope and small mushroom style plugs were never considered permanent by any means, always a temporary short term fix. (The disclaimer is on the packaging) In fact I have seen many cars come into the Benz shop that were completely destroyed (some fatally) because the driver thought the same fallacy and was either too cheap to have their tire dismonted, properly assessed and repaired and/or replaced or were too busy and forgot about it until their luck ran out.

You may have been lucky, but these owners were dangerously wrong with some paying the ultimate price for that ignorance with their lives.

Take care, and I’ll pray your luck continues.