TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My non-PUP has puddle lights

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Maximapolak, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Today I was changing the red door lights and trunk/ frunk lights. I looked under the front doors and I have puddle lights but the rear's don't.

Now I have to buy 4 more abstract ocean lights. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They've been doing this for cars that didn't have the Premium Lighting Package (or whatever package that feature resided in as of the date your car was made) for awhile.

The rear doors have the connector, but there's no cutout. You might be able to cut the hole and fish the connector out without taking off your door liner, but I think most people have removed it to complete the install.

• Informative x 1
  3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Hey Max, before you put the "same old thing", in your rear door, maybe you want to consider these logo lights. Several of us have done them. Cost about the same as the standard lights.

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

5. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

I had the same with my refreshed Model S, I had to pull the door panels to get the wire which was nicely taped to another wire in the door, while I had it off I used a razor blade to cut the leather. The line was perfect and the whole job was painless.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Now that you've done this, do you think there would have been a way to just cut the hole first, and then reach in to grab that harness? or was it taped pretty far up? Thanks in advance!

7. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

That's what I'm wondering...If I can do it without removing the door panel, that would be best.

8. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Nope, you can't fish it out. It's taped to other wires in the wiring harness and you really can't reach it from that bottom hole.

However, the interior trim of the rear door panels is not difficult to remove:

• Like x 3
  9. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

@SomeJoe7777 is correct, it must come off but it's pretty easy! I have torn all the doors apart as I also put the exterior door handle LEDs in. That's a more lengthy process for sure!

• Like x 1
  10. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

How did the exterior led process workout? Parts?

11. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

I love the exterior lights, but the effort was extensive, removing the door handles is a bear! The parts are cheap, all you need is the LED module which was around $20 per door.

12. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Why can't the door panel just be wedged from the bottom to get access to the taped wire and run the wire down?

The Abstract Ocean LEDs are brighter and $45 for a set of 4 (minus 20% discount ~ $36)

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

My non-PUP has puddle lights

I'm tiringly familiar with pups and puddles - it's just a phase that, with proper training, they do abandon.

• Funny x 1
  14. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

For the puddles you can likely just wedge it open enough, but by the time I wedged mine they just pop off anyway. The exterior door handle lights are a different story al together!

• Like x 1
  15. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Can you send me a link of what leds you added to the handles? Also, is there a write up somewhere?

16. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I read some place here recently that a guy popped the door speaker grille off then using an X-acto knife slipped in and cut the tape holding the harness connector loose. the fished it around to access it. He didn't take the door panel off. It was a thread on TMC where I read it.

• Like x 1
  17. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

I haven't done a write-up and haven't read about anyone else doing the mod, it was just something I wanted to try. I bought the LEDs at the dealer for $28 each, part information below, they are side specific, but not front/rear specific:

LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 LEFT (1008995-00-D)
    LED ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE OUTER 1 RIGHT (1007748-00-E)

• Like x 1
  18. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

Popping the door panel off is a non-issue, no reason to worry about it for the wiring, it only becomes a hassle if you want to remove it completely. To remove it completely you have to disconnect the lights, window switch and interior door handle, but there is no need for that just to get to the harness, follow the videos for popping it loose and just don't remove it all the way.

19. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

This is awesome. Gonna give this a try next! So basically 2 of each part number right? Any dealer Activision required? Thanks in advance!

20. cwerlin

cwerlin Member

No dealer activation required but getting the handles out and back in is a bear! You must remove the chrome window base trim from the top of the door on the outside and use a wrench to get the top bolt out.