Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My non-PUP has puddle lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully added the soft ambient lighting? In cars that have ambient from the factory there is a selection on the main panel to turn it on and off, it seems by default that it is on given some of you have accidentally connected the puddle light to this connector and the lights stayed on so that is a good thing for an ambient retrofit. My question is does this require a completely different door panel or is there just a LED lighting panel which can be added?

I just did the back door puddle lights . I must say that was a breeze! I didnt remove anything.
I cut the leather with an exacto. Lucky for me the first door had the wire hanging loose. Didnt take me 2 minutes

Second door took 5 minutes. Cut the leather and found the wire taped up. Used a pair of really long pliers and grabbed it. Pulled it hard and it came off. The tape is not tight at all.
I'm did the same thing. Used an exacto to cut leather. Use a flash light and a coat hanger to pull/cut the blue tape. And pulled the wire down with the coat hanger. The driver side door took me like 20-25 minutes cause my hand kept hurting and I had no idea what I was doing. The other door took only two minutes. Felt like an expert. Just waiting on the puddle lights to arrive now. :}

Has anyone successfully added the soft ambient lighting? In cars that have ambient from the factory there is a selection on the main panel to turn it on and off, it seems by default that it is on given some of you have accidentally connected the puddle light to this connector and the lights stayed on so that is a good thing for an ambient retrofit. My question is does this require a completely different door panel or is there just a LED lighting panel which can be added?

You can install just the LED panel per door. But, it requires taking off the door panel AND the upper section of the door panel (at least according to the service manual. I haven't done it myself.)

The problem is not necessarily adding the LED lights, the problem is having Tesla enable ambient lighting so you can control it on the touchscreen.

If you get it working, please let me know. I'd love to add it as well.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Have any of you guys who have put in those Abstract Ocean interior cabin LED modules have any of the original factory LED modules left over that you're looking to sell? I want to add a couple of puddle lights to the rear doors of my non-PUP MS, but I would rather modify the factory LED modules using 3000 K LED light strips to match the rest of my cabin lighting instead of the cool white Abstract Ocean modules. (Don't get me wrong - the Abstract Ocean units are great and I put them in my frunk and rear trunk, but I'm going with warm white in the passenger cabin.)

PM me if you have a couple you're looking to sell. Thanks!

i popped my 2 front logo puddle lights in recently and now am gong to tackle the rear doors.

it seems that if i am able to fish one or both (if there are 2) connectors out, the easiest way to find out if i'm hooked up to the right one is:

plug the light in, if it times out in ~20 seconds, bingo. if it stays on without going off, switch to the other one.

Reactions: Akikiki
My ambient light harness had power. I did not have the LEDs in the doors, nor any way to turn off the power. So if you add LED strips to the doors, and plug them in, in theory it should work, just you wouldn't have controls on the touch screen. This however may change at any time.

You can install just the LED panel per door. But, it requires taking off the door panel AND the upper section of the door panel (at least according to the service manual. I haven't done it myself.)

The problem is not necessarily adding the LED lights, the problem is having Tesla enable ambient lighting so you can control it on the touchscreen.

If you get it working, please let me know. I'd love to add it as well.

I managed to add fully functional ambient lighting with touchscreen control to my non-PUP S75.

I purchased the LED light strips that go into the door panels from the service center:
P/N 1007955-00-F RH Front Door ($54.48)
P/N 1008121-00-F RH Rear Door ($45.98)
P/N 1002977-00-F LH Front Door ($54.48)
P/N 1007988-00-F LH Rear Door ($45.98)

I installed them into the existing channels in the door. Take the interior door panels off using the excellent YouTube instructions provided by Light Harmonic. Then you pull off the upper section of door panel which is held in by 11 screws and a couple of clips - the hardest part of the upper door panel removal is finding all 11 screws since most of them are hidden under the sound insulation. Then use a razor blade to cut a slit the length of the channel and press in the LED light strips that are secured with built in clips molded directly into the back of LED light strip housing. Plug them into the existing connectors if you are going to be able to get the service center to enable the ambient light functionality. Otherwise you'll need to tap power from another source like the puddle light connectors or off of the power window controls.

The service center in Springfield, NJ turned on the ambient lighting for me. But it required them to escalate a ticket up to the Mothership in CA since the local techs don't have access to that feature. I got really lucky that they turned it on for me and I suspect they only did it because they took pity on me that they couldn't uncork my S75 RWD with June 15 build date (4 days before the drive unit cut over).

Have anyone had this issue? I installed projector puddle lights in the rear of my non-pup tesla. I found the cables in the door and installed the puddle lights, but after several months, both lights don't light up anymore. I have changed the lights out to ones that are working and still no power. I am wondering if they lost power to those cables after a certain car update or something. maybe possible that I connected to the wrong light? the ambient light connector possibly?.

Have anyone had this issue? I installed projector puddle lights in the rear of my non-pup tesla. I found the cables in the door and installed the puddle lights, but after several months, both lights don't light up anymore. I have changed the lights out to ones that are working and still no power. I am wondering if they lost power to those cables after a certain car update or something. maybe possible that I connected to the wrong light? the ambient light connector possibly?.

Yes, you probably connected them to the ambient lighting connector. The puddle light connector is taped to other wires up higher in the door.

Remove the interior rear door trim using this video guide:

You'll find the other connector in the door, switch the lights to that connector and they'll light up again.

• Helpful
Reactions: skyhix
I just added the "T" logo puddle lights on my S (front and back.) I did not have the premium lighting package. It is way easier to take off the interior door trim panel to install the puddle lights on the rear doors. Three bolts and you're in like Flynn. Also easier to cut out the faux leather covering the puddle light square hole if you can put the interior door cover on a table so it's easier to access with an x-acto blade without being upside down on the ground. All wires are easily accessible with the interior cover removed and you have much less risk of damaging the wires trying to release the taped off puddle wire connector through a partial panel removal.

I just added the "T" logo puddle lights on my S (front and back.) I did not have the premium lighting package. It is way easier to take off the interior door trim panel to install the puddle lights on the rear doors. Three bolts and you're in like Flynn. Also easier to cut out the faux leather covering the puddle light square hole if you can put the interior door cover on a table so it's easier to access with an x-acto blade without being upside down on the ground. All wires are easily accessible with the interior cover removed and you have much less risk of damaging the wires trying to release the taped off puddle wire connector through a partial panel removal.
I completely agree. I've since gone back into my doors to fix a handle and realized how easy it was to access. I think I was mostly nervous to mess something up as the task looked a little daunting from the videos I'd seen. But now that I've done it, it's way easier like you said.