Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY not charging on Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a wind storm last night and this morning I tried charging up and the moment I plugged into Tesla Wall charger the car threw an error: Issue with wall charger, charging stopped. Blue light on the charger, no red lights. So we did lose power last night and I assume I have to go through the commissioning procedure again, but I have a problem: when I try to log into the charger WiFi any device I try has issues connecting, and the home page of the charger is unreachable so I can’t get it online or set it up for use. Anybody else have issues like this or know if maybe it was damaged? The car wasn’t plugged in during the outage btw..

We had a wind storm last night and this morning I tried charging up and the moment I plugged into Tesla Wall charger the car threw an error: Issue with wall charger, charging stopped. Blue light on the charger, no red lights. So we did lose power last night and I assume I have to go through the commissioning procedure again, but I have a problem: when I try to log into the charger WiFi any device I try has issues connecting, and the home page of the charger is unreachable so I can’t get it online or set it up for use. Anybody else have issues like this or know if maybe it was damaged? The car wasn’t plugged in during the outage btw..
You should not have recommission the Wall Connector. Just reset the Wall Connector. Unplug the charging connector from the Tesla vehicle. Then turn off the power at the circuit breaker, wait 30 seconds before turning the breaker on again. The status lights on the Wall Connector should return to normal.

Upvote 0
You should not have recommission the Wall Connector. Just reset the Wall Connector. Unplug the charging connector from the Tesla vehicle. Then turn off the power at the circuit breaker, wait 30 seconds before turning the breaker on again. The status lights on the Wall Connector should return to normal.
Tried that. I really do think there must be a serious issue with it, nothing I’ve tried has made a difference. I’ve even tried clearing the codes from the car.

Upvote 0
Some suggestions:

1. Power off the charger at the breaker box then open the Wall Connector. Check to ensure all connections are tight (you should also do this, carefully, in the breaker box).
2. Leave the Wall Connector cover off and close the breaker. Test the voltage at the Wall Connector from L1 to ground, L2 to ground, and L1 to L2. You should see something like 120v, 120v and 240v
3. Trip the breaker, put the cover back on the Wall Connector and then close the breaker. Do you see the SSID for the Wall Connector?
4. Next, press the button on the Tesla plug and hold it. The green lights should illuminate and the number of lights should match the breaker circuit (5-green for 60A, 4-green for 50A), then you should see a flashing blue.
5. If you do not see the correct number of lights, and / or you made any changes, log onto the connector’s WiFi SSID and fix them
6. Connector to the car and see if it will charge.

Let us know how things went.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, thanks all for the responses. FYI, the code was CC_a004, I cleared it and the issue persisted. I removed the face plate to check connections and probed each leg of the 240, all fine. I also checked charging with mobile charger 120VAC, 240VAC(14-50NEMA), and supercharger in town, all charged fine, no issues, no codes, no weirdness when charging. I've reached out to Tesla Support to see what they recommend though at this point I believe a service appointment is the only thing that's left. I do believe it was damaged during the wind storm though I'm not sure how, the charger is intended to be wired directly into the breaker without any protection because its supposed to have its own built in. Also when resetting breaker and checking SSID broadcast it seems to show just fine, but it refuses to connect to any device I bring out to the garage. Also of note, when resetting breaker, I only get 1 green light, indicating the circuit is a 6A circuit and I can't log into the charger's page to set it to a 48A circuit.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, thanks all for the responses. FYI, the code was CC_a004, I cleared it and the issue persisted. I removed the face plate to check connections and probed each leg of the 240, all fine. I also checked charging with mobile charger 120VAC, 240VAC(14-50NEMA), and supercharger in town, all charged fine, no issues, no codes, no weirdness when charging. I've reached out to Tesla Support to see what they recommend though at this point I believe a service appointment is the only thing that's left. I do believe it was damaged during the wind storm though I'm not sure how, the charger is intended to be wired directly into the breaker without any protection because its supposed to have its own built in. Also when resetting breaker and checking SSID broadcast it seems to show just fine, but it refuses to connect to any device I bring out to the garage. Also of note, when resetting breaker, I only get 1 green light, indicating the circuit is a 6A circuit and I can't log into the charger's page to set it to a 48A circuit.
Only one green light on the top of the light bar indicates the charger is ready and standing by.

Upvote 0
Yea, but the car throws out the fault code immediately after plugging in. As I said before, no red lights, not any other fault codes, no issues charging with other types of chargers. It indicates it is ready, then I plug in, car says "starting charging", immediately after(1-2sec) says "charging stopped, issues with the charger, charger may need servicing. CC_a004", when plugging in the green light is steady and turns to flashing blue, then flashing green after the error. After unplugging light goes to single, solid green. Seemingly as if it doesn't know what the hell just happened and is ready to try again. Cycling power doesn't change anything.

Upvote 0
Yea, but the car throws out the fault code immediately after plugging in. As I said before, no red lights, not any other fault codes, no issues charging with other types of chargers. It indicates it is ready, then I plug in, car says "starting charging", immediately after(1-2sec) says "charging stopped, issues with the charger, charger may need servicing. CC_a004", when plugging in the green light is steady and turns to flashing blue, then flashing green after the error. After unplugging light goes to single, solid green. Seemingly as if it doesn't know what the hell just happened and is ready to try again. Cycling power doesn't change anything.
See the trouble code here. Scroll down for this one.

(CC_a004)Unable to charge - Wall Connector issue Wall Connector needs service​

What this alert means:
Wall Connector hardware issue. Possible issues include:
  1. Contactor not working
  2. Self-test of internal ground fault monitoring circuit failed
  3. Thermal sensor disconnected
  4. Other hardware component issues
What to do:
An internal issue was detected by the Wall Connector.
  1. Try charging again by disconnecting the Wall Connector from the vehicle and reconnecting.
  2. If the issue persists, turn OFF the circuit breaker for the Wall Connector, wait 10 seconds, and turn the circuit breaker ON again. Then try reconnecting the Wall Connector to the vehicle.
  3. If the issue persists, have an electrician make sure all wires are properly connected and torqued according to the instructions in the Wall Connector Installation Manual.
  4. Once your electrician has completed all work and restored power to the Wall Connector, try charging again by reconnecting the Wall Connector to the vehicle.
  5. If the issue persists, the Wall Connector requires service.
For more information, see the installation guide for your Wall Connector.

Upvote 0
I'm having this exact issue. What ended up being your problem?

Upvote 0