TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My observations driving a Model S after Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dazureus, May 10, 2016.

1. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

As some background, my first Tesla was my white Model X P90D that I picked up on March 26th and put 1500 miles on. I had never test driven a Tesla before and the only other experience I've had with a BEV/HEV was a test drive in a Ford Focus and a short drive in a Prius. My Model X was picked up by trailer to be taken to the Cleveland service center since to get the third row replaced. We don't have a service center in Michigan and a ranger swap out option wasn't offered.

The exchange was scheduled a week prior and today they dropped off a red multi-coat Model S P90D with about 5000 miles on it. After a walk around on both vehicles to note any damage, I handed over my Model X fob for the Model S fob, and will drive it for the next three days. I'm expected to have my Model X back on Friday 13th in the afternoon. Here are my observations so far after a 60 mile commute.

Interior:
    • The seats are a little more firm but I don't know if it's because of the seat design or the lack of perforated leather. Just as comfortable.
    • All the controls and screens are nearly identical, with the exception of the door control menu, and the addition of the "ionizer" option for climate control.
    • I'm more bothered by the windshield than I though I would be. Without the huge Model X windshield, it feels like I'm wearing a baseball cap, and the brim of the hat is pulled down to block my upward peripheral vision.
    • I had both cars set to auto climate and realize how much smell the Model X filters block out. Today was the first time smelling the diesel truck exhaust in over a month.
    • I put our twins car seats in. I'm really missing the Falcon Wing doors.
    • The elbow rests in the Model S don't feel as far apart as the Model X. When I'm driving my Model X, it feels like I have to extend my elbows a bit to rest on both sides. The Model S feels a bit closer, so I don't feel like I'm chicken winging as much.
    • I hit my hand on the ceiling of the Model S when I scratched my head.
    • The rear middle seat head rest still obstructs some of the rear view, but not nearly as much as the Model X. In the Model S, I can at least see the car behind me without shifting side to side.

Exterior:
    • The multi coat red Model S definitely got more glances than the white Model X.
    • Through my polarized sunglasses, the front windshield had a golden hue to it and the side windows had a gray or blue hue. Not sure what that's about and I don't notice a difference in the Model X.
    • I've become too accustomed to auto opening doors and it feels odd having to swing so far out to open the door with my hand; at least there's walk away locking still. The pop out door handles are neat, but again, I miss my auto opening door.
    • The car sits way low and the driver side door opening feels smaller than the Model X, so it's harder to get in and out of.

Driving:
    • Seeing the hood while driving is different, I can't see my Model X hood from the drivers seat.
    • The front motor makes a very slight high pitched whine when under acceleration. It's not present while cruising and I don't observe the same sound in the Model X.
    • Acceleration feels the same. Both X and S are P90D insane mode.
    • The loaner Model S is speed limited to 80 mph, but it's not in valet mode. Just an interesting thing.
    • Auto pilot feels the same.
    • I felt more confident taking turns and curves at a faster speed in the Model S. It could be because of a difference in height. Both S and X have air suspension.
    • The regenerative braking on the Model S doesn't seem to slow the vehicle as aggressively as the Model X at speeds under 25 (coming to a stop). It's probably because of the difference in vehicle weight, but it also might be because of the wheel difference.
    • Even though the range is similar, seeing under 350 Watts/mile for 15 miles is pretty reassuring.

I've never had a red car before, so if feels super flashy. I'll enjoy driving the Model S for a few days but I'll be happy to get my Model X back.

• Informative x 13
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Haha. I just test drove the X and drive an S daily. I had the exact opposite experience from you. I went to put my arm on the arm rest and had to leave my torso over to reach it. I even remarked on how much wider the X felt than the S.

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for sharing!

It's great to hear this comparison from someone who didn't actually start out in an S.

As for the limiter set to 80, it could be that this was a test drive vehicle. I know they do that for test drives. If you asked I bet they would turn that off for you (if they can remotely).

4. dapao

dapao Member

Did you pick your X at Cleveland or delivery at home?

5. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Could be. They maintain a small fleet of Model S in Michigan for loaner vehicles. This one has some nasty curb rash on the wheels.

I had the option for home delivery but chose to pick it up in Cleveland since it was my first Tesla. I wanted to "full experience" and I'm happy I did. We stayed overnight in the old Glidden (as in paint) Mansion and visited the "Christmas Story" house! The trip is 188 miles to SE Michigan and we made it with 30 miles left on the battery. Mostly auto pilot, with heating and not caring about acceleration.

6. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I think we agree: the X feels wider.

7. dapao

dapao Member

That is what I am planning right now. I am living in AA which is 180 miles from SC. Gonna let my friend drive me there because neither the train or bus arrives before 4pm and I don't wanna stay the whole night there.

8. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Tesla Cleveland rented a car for me at my closest Enterprise car rental. They took care of it when we picked up our Model X. You should look into that so you two don't have to drive back alone.

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Classic. I agree. That windshield looks odd and out of place but once you sit in the car, it's like going to the theatre to watch a movie versus sitting in front of a TV at home, no matter how big of a TV you have.:)

10. dapao

dapao Member

Thank you so much for the tip. I would definitely choose that is available. I love TMC

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

G
    Great report. Does the loaner S have the pano roof?

12. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

Yes, the loaner has the pano roof. I'm also surprised how small the frunk is compared to the X. The climate seems to heat up the cabin faster, but can be expected since there's less airspace to control.

• Informative x 1
  13. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

We're exchanging the S with my X tomorrow afternoon so I thought I would wrap up this thread with my last comparison thoughts. I've enjoyed my S experience, but found that the greatest difference between the S and the X is the ease of entry and exit. The S feels so low to the ground and the doors are so short and narrow that I have to twist a bit to get out. It's kind of nice having short doors because I rarely had to worry about bumping other parked cars, but the rear panoramic glass has by babies head prints on the inside, even with low side bolster baby seats (rear facing). It was nice having an opening sunroof again, but I don't really miss it in the X. One nice thing about the S that's not present on the X is a dead pedal. There's an incline to rest your foot on the X, but it's just carpet material, so I see that getting super dirty during the winter. It already collects sand and dirt and I find myself vacuuming my car pretty often. Maybe there's an aftermarket solution. While the Model S seats aren't uncomfortable, they are more firm and feel a bit more narrow. I really miss the automatic doors on my X (I know, first world problem). In the end, I'm very happy with my Model X purchase and I can't wait to get it back.

• Like x 1
  14. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

I also test drove both the S and X a few times and I loved them both, but one of the main reasons I chose the X is that the floor under the rear seats on the S seemed too high, it felt like my knees were shoved up. I didn't think my 5'11' son would be comfortable on long trips in the rear seats. Overall, I think the driving experience is better in the S because it is lower to the ground made me feel more in sync with the car.... but on the other hand, that big windshield on the X is sooooo cool! Choosing between and X and an S is a good problem to have :)

• Like x 1
  15. sukhi

sukhi Member

I started out with Model X first and I drove Model S for an extended period only when I got it as a loaner car. My observations:
    - I found the seats to be stiff and uncomfortable
    - I prefer the sitting stance of Model X versus Model S. One feels more in command
    - I missed the large windshield
    - I missed the auto closing of the driver door.
    - I liked the pano roof.

• Like x 1
  16. Infinite

Infinite Member

The first tesla I drove was my friend's S60 - loved the straight line drive but it wasn't for me. Then I drove the P85+ same story. Drove the 90D - really liked the drive feel, steering and handling. So much so, put one on order. Still there was a nagging feeling in my mind. Great car but it didn't feel luxurious enough to be a $100k+ car. Test drove the X - it was love at first sight. Switched order to X from S - now peace of mind - only expectations is for faster delivery :) and to please our sunshade captain - praying for a sunshade with the car. :D

OP - my observations between the S and X are pretty similar to yours.

• Like x 2
  17. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

For some reason I more eager to receive the sunshade compared to my Model X (which I am dying to receive). It is probably since I already know what the X looks like but I don't know what the redesigned sunshade will look like (hopefully it is good, I am visioning a solid sunshade that matches the alcantarta of the headliner.

18. Infinite

Infinite Member

I am also visioning it to be motorized and controllable through the giant ipad just like the pano roof of the S with a highly reflective exterior that dazzles the eye of the beholder.

• Like x 1
  19. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

That would be a dream come through...I would trade that any day for the FWD