Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Old Console VS New Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share my experience. I picked up my MY 1/27, but I ALMOST cancelled/delayed it waiting for "upgrades".

I decided the day before to go into another dealership here and compare the MY Console and the new M3 refreshed matte console.

I for one, honestly prefer the current console to the new matte one, I guess people just think new is better but I see it have less space and not as nice.

We all get fomo, but in the end it's not worth waiting for a car based on the interior plastic center console or you'll never buy the car.

If I knew it was confirmed the car was getting something like air suspension the following month, ok maybe it's worth waiting, but little things making you wait like the center console or a single cast piece I've been reading is just silly.

Treat these cars more like iPhones and less like cars, if you wait, you'll wait forever for that new styled cupholder with better angles that fit Wendy's Biggie Size more snug. /s

I honestly wish there wasn't a center console at all. I got a 2013 Model S loaner the other day and having just a huge space between the seats was nice! That being said, I prefer the older console too. I typically have all the little flaps open anyway so nothing is really getting scratched/damaged. And there feels like there is a lot more room inside compared to the new design. But they both are nice designs! I wouldn't be bummed if I had gotten either but I'm also not regretful of missing out on the new one.

the old console is better, the whole wireless charging pad looks out of place. its usefulness is debatable and i believe its more of a gimmick than function because with all the new smart phones out these days, they last a full day or more. i never charge my phone in the car and would prefer to have the lid closed/use the space for something else like storage.

You could buy the new one to swap it if you really wanted the new look. Daerik on youtube shows it's a direct fit. I think if you swapped the card reader you wouldn't run into the pairing issue they had. The new console is $865+ tax, if I remember correctly from their video. Should be plenty of used ones showing up on ebay after a year or so

I have the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y - Classic Edition (original inside and out.) I am used to, like the original console. I always leave the charging pad cover open (I did not realize that there even was a cover for the charging pad for the first month or two of ownership.) I hate that the center cover pops open with just a little bit of downward pressure on the closest edge. I don't mind the glossy black finish (I can always install a trim kit to change the finish.)

My issue with the center console, the whole interior actually, is dust not fingerprints. Since I usually pick up coffee in the A.M. there are frequent minor coffee drips around the passenger side cup holder. I installed a silicone cup holder liner (Lovetesla Tesla Model 3 Model Y Center Console Cupholder Cover Center Console Silicone Cupholder.) The liner helps hold the cup in the holder and can be easily removed for cleaning. Most loose small items such as the J1772 adapter fits effortlessly into the center compartment, especially extra masks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jdr93
I have the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y - Classic Edition (original inside and out.) I am used to, like the original console. - - snip - - I installed a silicone cup holder liner (Lovetesla Tesla Model 3 Model Y Center Console Cupholder Cover Center Console Silicone Cupholder.) The liner helps hold the cup in the holder and can be easily removed for cleaning. Most loose small items such as the J1772 adapter fits effortlessly into the center compartment, especially extra masks.
thanks for the note. getting one too, as soon it they're back in stock ?(late march). best idea yet for that area.

The *only* thing that annoys me about the old console is the black shiny covers that get dirty and scratched super super easily. Other then that, the old console actually fits the car better in my opinion. The new center console does look a bit more elegant and more classy, but I personally like the future-esque look of the current version. Isn't that what Tesla is about? They sacrificed the look for a more toned down, simple, and classy

You could buy the new one to swap it if you really wanted the new look. Daerik on youtube shows it's a direct fit. I think if you swapped the card reader you wouldn't run into the pairing issue they had. The new console is $865+ tax, if I remember correctly from their video. Should be plenty of used ones showing up on ebay after a year or so
It should be noted that they bricked their MY putting the new console in! Waiting for Part 2 of the episode to see how they got it fixed.....

Side note - those guys are hilarious!

The *only* thing that annoys me about the old console is the black shiny covers that get dirty and scratched super super easily.

Fix that with matte ppf for about $25.

20190406_095259.jpg