Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My on/off switchable PWS mod "for off-road use only"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm cross-posting a thread from the MY forum. It's for my MY, but the steps are the same for M3, with maybe the exception of the frunk button location. The post is below:

I'm not here to debate the good, bad, should, or shouldn't of PWS disabling. This is for off-road use only, at your own risk. I am not encouraging, suggesting, nor condoning this mod. I am simply sharing a technical solution for those who wish to, under specific circumstances, disable the PWS without triggering an error and be able to easily switch it back on and enjoy the megaphone, boombox, and all that they offer.

I am aware of the resister pack mod, which can be home-built or bought from eBay and other sources. These mods allow one to disable PWS, but it's a pain to pull open the wheel liner just to reverse the mod. This is why I made my mod.

Description: I used a 3-position, SPDT switch to either direct the circuit to connect to the PWS speaker or a 25W 4 ohm resister. This way, I can switch between PWS disable and PWS enable easily. Maybe one day I will wire the switch into the cabin, but for now I found a good home for it just under the frunk switch.

See the diagram below. I threw it together roughly just to organize my thoughts. Pay no attention to the colors, and I ended up soldering everything (rather than using solder sleeves or taps). For me, the white wire is the + side.

I didn't take a lot of pictures nor make a video, but might do an YT one day if there is enough interest. The setup is working great!

Aside from the diagram, there are two pictures showing the switch and what the backside looks like. I routed it along other wire looms to the PWS speaker.

Enjoy...

PXL_20230220_020140753.jpg

PXL_20230219_070352460.MP.jpg

PXL_20230219_070415627.MP.jpg