Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My original tire has a little leak (tiny nail in the tire).Can I plug the tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original tire has a little leak (tiny nail in the tire), Can I plug the tire? (some tire shop guys said original tire can't plug or patch)
If it's not near the sidewall, you should be able to have it fixed. Many places won't repair the tire because of the foam inside. You may have to make an appointment with a Tesla Service Center.

If it's not near the sidewall, you should be able to have it fixed. Many places won't repair the tire because of the foam inside. You may have to make an appointment with a Tesla Service Center.
One year ago, I had a small nail in one tire. I went to my nearby Discount Tire and they fixed the tire for free. Three weeks ago, same thing, a small nail in the middle of the thread on another tire. I went again to Discount Tire but this time they told me they stopped fixing tires with foam liner. I insisted but they did not accept to fix the leak. After talking to the manager, they gave me a free Continental DW-6+. I just had to pay for the install and the road hazard warranty.

This was a surprise to me. The tire was original to the car.

Reactions: EdSt
One year ago, I had a small nail in one tire. I went to my nearby Discount Tire and they fixed the tire for free. Three weeks ago, same thing, a small nail in the middle of the thread on another tire. I went again to Discount Tire but this time they told me they stopped fixing tires with foam liner. I insisted but they did not accept to fix the leak. After talking to the manager, they gave me a free Continental DW-6+. I just had to pay for the install and the road hazard warranty.

This was a surprise to me. The tire was original to the car.
Thank you for your info.

How much need to pay if fixed in Tesla Service Center?
It seems this varies by location. In some areas Tesla Mobile Service will come to you, repair the tire (if repairable.) Other service centers will want to replace the tire.

Your best option would be keep adding air to the tire. Call around and ask several tire repair shops if they will plug or patch a tire that has sound deadening foam liner. (To repair the tire a small section of the foam must be cut away from the inside of the tire, then the tire can be patched from the inside as usual. Finally the section of foam can be glued into place. Some tire shops don't want to spend the time to make this repair.) Tire shops will generally not offer to repair a tire if someone has already attempted to repair the puncture. If the puncture is in the center third of the tread area the damage should be able to be repaired. The closer to the sidewall the less likely that the tire repair shop will be willing to repair the tire (for their liability.)

• Informative
Reactions: 101dals
If you live near a Discount Tire they will repair the tire for free (with a patch/plug from the inside) so long as the tread is 3/32 or better and the nail is in the tread not the sidewall. I had this done yesterday.
I had the same experience at my local Discount Tire yesterday. Small nail that they plugged for free. I have the continentals, so not sure if they include the same foam as the pirelli's. They didn't say anything to me about it.

I had the same experience at my local Discount Tire yesterday. Small nail that they plugged for free. I have the continentals, so not sure if they include the same foam as the pirelli's. They didn't say anything to me about it.
The OE Continental Procontact RX tires that come with the Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels have the Contisilent foam liner.

Whatever happened to men doing things for themselves? It’s pathetic to rely on someone else for this task, or worse be told it can’t be done. Go buy a tire plug repair kit from Walmart or an auto parts store.
If it’s a really tiny nail, the hole may need to be enlarged for the plug to penetrate. The kit comes with the tool.

not to mention the hypocrisy of so easily discarding a perfectly good tire, for any of the tree hugging environmentalist global warming tards.

typically the hole in the wall places will plug.

yeah, you can patch the foam tire but it’s not worth the effort and when they shave down the rubber sometimes they’ll take out too much cause of the glue. A tire that has been shaved down too much will also be unsafe, and the patch won’t stick well because of the concavity.

much easier to plug and move on.

A few weeks ago coming home I saw the low pressure light come on. Got home and saw a screw in my tire, not to near the edge, totally fixable. We were taking the car on a trip so I thought using the mobile service would be easiest and quickest. It wasn’t and it was a learning experience - they said 125 for fix the tire if it could be, 590 if I needed a tire. Over text I had to agree to those charges, then they dispatched a tow truck to my house to take the car to a service center (I was think a mobile service person would come, so whatever I guess). Next morning I see the app goes into service mode about 9am, 9:30 I get a message saying the tire was not repairable and a new tire was being installed. I thought this was weird, and asked to keep the damaged tire. Out of curiosity I took the tire to discount tire the next day to ask, they looked at it and said it was easily repairable, and they would patch it up for me (cool, got a spare tire just in case -trying to make the best of it), but upon inspection they noticed they it looked like they removed the tire off the wheel with a crow bar or something and it busted the belts and made rips. Point— doing bother with Tesla, they either don’t know or don’t care and just want to put a new tire. I will never do that again. discount tire should fix it, or any local place will do it as well. See pics
442579C0-A6BD-4470-A713-D2EDC9D046FC.jpeg

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
A few weeks ago coming home I saw the low pressure light come on. Got home and saw a screw in my tire, not to near the edge, totally fixable. We were taking the car on a trip so I thought using the mobile service would be easiest and quickest. It wasn’t and it was a learning experience - they said 125 for fix the tire if it could be, 590 if I needed a tire. Over text I had to agree to those charges, then they dispatched a tow truck to my house to take the car to a service center (I was think a mobile service person would come, so whatever I guess). Next morning I see the app goes into service mode about 9am, 9:30 I get a message saying the tire was not repairable and a new tire was being installed. I thought this was weird, and asked to keep the damaged tire. Out of curiosity I took the tire to discount tire the next day to ask, they looked at it and said it was easily repairable, and they would patch it up for me (cool, got a spare tire just in case -trying to make the best of it), but upon inspection they noticed they it looked like they removed the tire off the wheel with a crow bar or something and it busted the belts and made rips. Point— doing bother with Tesla, they either don’t know or don’t care and just want to put a new tire. I will never do that again. discount tire should fix it, or any local place will do it as well. See pics View attachment 840775
Discount/Americas Tire is always my go to for tires. Plus, you can take your new Tesla there and get road hazard coverage on the OEM tires for a very reasonable price. I just had Discount do 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my Porsche, and their attention to detail in mounting to avoid rim damage was stellar.