Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My other car is a...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't been able to bring myself to part with my 2011 Genesis Coupe. Rebadged and with LED taillights, she's still to pretty to sell... Even though I haven't driven her since I got my S!
071911120105.jpg

FlasherZ, These are beautiful. I especially love the plates. My 454, like yours, is noisy compared to any ICE, let alone our Teslas. The silence is almost deafening.

Thank you - I absolutely love 'em.

Illinois allows me to run year-of-manufacture plates. I have rather dull standard antique plates in the car, but had those commissioned (including the original Illinois 1964 and 1965 colors - how about that lavender in '64!) for those vehicles.

Great thread! I had thought about starting an “Eclectic Pairing” thread, but checking for similar topics revealed this one, which already has some great stories and great pairings.

The Tesla is my second foray into truly collectable cars. The first was a weekend restoration project, which I bought in 1988 and continued to drive (as a second car) and work on from time to time (as a hobby) until it went into storage in 2008. Six years later it is back on the road and truly an eclectic partner for the Tesla. Since it is rather rare (haven’t seen one on the roads of Silicon Valley for several years), here’s a chance for folks to guess what it is – a few hints . . .

· Born from a vision between car maker and famous car designer
· Partnered with Lotus for the engine (sound inversely familiar?)
· Only 11,000 built (of the convertible variety)
· Highest percentage of these were sold to the California market
· Rare enough that our British friends may not even know what it is J

Any guesses . . . ?

Picture1.jpg

Answer (highlight text with mouse): à 1974 Jensen Healey ß

Great thread! I had thought about starting an “Eclectic Pairing” thread, but checking for similar topics revealed this one, which already has some great stories and great pairings.

The Tesla is my second foray into truly collectable cars. The first was a weekend restoration project, which I bought in 1988 and continued to drive (as a second car) and work on from time to time (as a hobby) until it went into storage in 2008. Six years later it is back on the road and truly an eclectic partner for the Tesla. Since it is rather rare (haven’t seen one on the roads of Silicon Valley for several years), here’s a chance for folks to guess what it is – a few hints . . .

Any guesses . . . ?

View attachment 55430

Answer (highlight text with mouse): à1974 Jensen Healey ß

I should have known that. It's like a grown up Alfa spider. I wonder whether the hood bulge was in the original design? I love that they left it off-center, instead of making it wider. That was a damn sexy car when it first appeared.

I should have known that. It's like a grown up Alfa spider. I wonder whether the hood bulge was in the original design? I love that they left it off-center, instead of making it wider. That was a damn sexy car when it first appeared.

@ToddRLockwood: Yes, the hood bulge is part of the original design and intended off-center. Twin Stromberg carburetors are mounted on the right side of the engine and needed the extra room. This is the Lotus 907 engine, which was designed by Lotus Engineering, but first used on this car (I guess they wanted to shake out the bugs before putting it in one of their own cars :smile: ).

Beautiful car. I have an old friend from high school who's dad had one. My friend took it out for a drive, without permission, and totaled it, ala Ferris Bueller.

@4SUPER9: Thank you. Sorry to hear a story like that, especially when there weren't so many to begin with. Turns out that many of these met an early demise due to one poor Engineering choice: they configured the car with a plastic fuel "T" between the two carburetors; after several years in the hot engine environment, the fuel T would crack and send fuel over the top of the engine and onto the exhaust manifolds, resulting in you know what. I guess one could say this car also shares a publicized failure mode similar to that of Tesla. Of course, the remedies were quite different: a $2 metal fuel "T" vs. Al / Ti shielding and firmware changes.

A 1971 Corvette that I bought in 1997. I've fully restored it and also done some modifications. A 5-speed replaced the factory 4-speed transmission. Engine has higher compression, aluminum heads and fuel injection. Updated suspension & bigger brakes.

Corvette3_1600x1200_zpsce2625d1.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Okay all you guys with your fancy cars and beautiful weather... here's my other car. But at least I have the distinction of owning two automobiles that came out of the same California assembly plant :smile:

I'm surprised I didn't note this - but I do as well. my '65 Pontiac was made in Fremont.

Any guesses . . . ?

View attachment 55430

Answer (highlight text with mouse): à1974 Jensen Healey ß
Jensen Healey, early 1970's.

I can't really compete with the nice cars posted in this thread, maybe in one aspect: mine is also quite rare :wink: (probably the lowest number of sales from all electric cars):

Mitsubishi iMiev, see picture in my avatar.