Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My out-of-warranty MX is dead for the second time in a month :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the second time in about a month my MX late -16 is completely dead.

First time it happened was when it was parked. I couldn't even get inside the car and had to be towed to SC. They broke in to the car, got it to work but didn't knew how, then troubleshot for 10h without knowing what caused it.
Car worked, had to pay for towing, replacement parts due to the break in and troubleshooting and no one new what was wrong with it.

Fast forward to this Saturday.

I was driving when it happened.
Error code RCM_d022 & RCM_d022 showed up.
turn signal, headlight, window lifts, doors, trunk, frunk and more stopped working. Still drivable.
When I got home I called tesla. They asked me to shut off the car. So I did. It never started again. Just like the last time except i'm not locked out of the car now.

I have to leave one door open on the car to not get locked out from it again and pay for more replacement parts.
Some things work in the car like adjusting seats, adjusting side mirrors, and phone charger. The car can still be found in the app and I can charge the car.
I can't execute any commands from the app, only monitor things like location and battery level.

Now it's monday afternoon, been trying 3 times to talk to SC and haven't got a call back. I've only been speaking to support from another country that tells me they will call me.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Similar experience?

This is our only car and we have three kids, not easy to make the daily routines work. I've told my wife many times we should get an old 80's wrangler as a 2nd car :)

Attachments

• 178417728_10165052797075282_6825730011660980013_n.jpg
    178417728_10165052797075282_6825730011660980013_n.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Wow, that's no fun. Do you have another SC in your region? Seems odd they 'don't know how' it started working again. And damaged parts to break in to the car? What did they damage? The frunk has procedure to open when the car is dead. That gets you to the battery for doing car restart/reset. Shouldn't be any damage doing all that...

Do you know the status of your MCU? There is a known failure of the memory module that leads to a lot of strange behavior. SC should know to check for that, though..

Upvote 0
Hi everyone!

I got in contact with a tesla guru who pretty much knew everything there is about tesla.
He told me to try to pull back the right middle seat. When I did that everything in the car started working immediately, no boot up on nothing, just like a light switch it lit up.

He said there is known problem with the cable harness under the middle row seats (6-seater). These seats are connected to the 400V system and two of the cables are getting shorted by touching the chassi in the front most position of the chair.
After some more talking we found out this guru had worked on my car with the previous owner. He also told me the previous owner switched out one of the middle seats during warranty and when tesla reinstalled the new seat they did something wrong and therefor this problem occurred.

Let's see if tesla wants to take responsibility of this error...
It's Tuesday now, SC has still not called me back...

Upvote 0
Hi everyone!

I got in contact with a tesla guru who pretty much knew everything there is about tesla.
He told me to try to pull back the right middle seat. When I did that everything in the car started working immediately, no boot up on nothing, just like a light switch it lit up.

He said there is known problem with the cable harness under the middle row seats (6-seater). These seats are connected to the 400V system and two of the cables are getting shorted by touching the chassi in the front most position of the chair.
After some more talking we found out this guru had worked on my car with the previous owner. He also told me the previous owner switched out one of the middle seats during warranty and when tesla reinstalled the new seat they did something wrong and therefor this problem occurred.

Let's see if tesla wants to take responsibility of this error...
It's Tuesday now, SC has still not called me back...
Wow, you found your guru alright!

Model X is a nice car but like Elon said:

“Model X is too great“

"The mistake we made with the Model X, which I really think we have taken to heart at Tesla, is that we put too many new features and technologies, too many great things all at once into a product. In retrospect, it would have been a better decision to do fewer things with the first version of the Model X and then roll in capabilities, and features, and new technologies over time, in subsequent years," Musk said. "So I do think there is some hubris there with the X."

Me and my family had a great time driving the great BMW 7-series of the nineties. These great cars had similar costly break downs on their expensive tech features that made them very affordable to buy after 10 years and 150-250k kms.

Enjoy your Model X and keep us updated on your further adventures driving a too great car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, you found your guru alright!

Model X is a nice car but like Elon said:

“Model X is too great“

"The mistake we made with the Model X, which I really think we have taken to heart at Tesla, is that we put too many new features and technologies, too many great things all at once into a product. In retrospect, it would have been a better decision to do fewer things with the first version of the Model X and then roll in capabilities, and features, and new technologies over time, in subsequent years," Musk said. "So I do think there is some hubris there with the X."

Me and my family had a great time driving the great BMW 7-series of the nineties. These great cars had similar costly break downs on their expensive tech features that made them very affordable to buy after 10 years and 150-250k kms.

Enjoy your Model X and keep us updated on your further adventures driving a too great car.
Our 740i was the most the second most unreliable car we ever owned. BMW tried to do too many things and failed. Mostly electrical issues and the nice-looking, but terrible operating electronics. Also, the rear seats were already tearing at the seams in 3 years.

Upvote 0
This is our only car and we have three kids, not easy to make the daily routines work. I've told my wife many times we should get an old 80's wrangler as a 2nd car :)
Not the most on-topic and helpful reply here, but don't those only seat 4?

I'm not sure if it works (or charges you) when you're out of warranty, but you could try to use the roadside assistance in the app to get it to the service center with some priority since it won't drive. Alternatively, you could schedule a service visit and pay whomever to tow it to the service center for the service. It's pretty disillusioning that you can't talk to people in service o the phone, but those are the workarounds.

Upvote 0

You're lucky the whole thing didn't catch fire....

I'm curious where this harness is, if only to do a quick inspection of mine. :D

Upvote 0
I owned a Model S out of warranty for a year and I would never do that again and I tell everyone that asks, NEVER own a Tesla out of warranty, especially S or X. It's unfortunate but it is what it is...
I wouldn't say ESPECIALLY the S and X. The 3 an Y also have just as many issues. Just sometimes different issues than the S or X. I won't own any Tesla out of warranty.

Reactions: InternetDude
Upvote 0