Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My outdated 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of your points are indisputable, for people who like to live in a fact-based world. I know no Tesla owners who are not happy with their cars, and they range from P100D to Signature Model S. The few buyers who can afford to, and want to, upgrade to more capable versions frequently are doing a service to Tesla and the evolution of EV's. I am happy they do it, and am happy that I sometimes can too. Most such people that I know, most of us have zero interest on what other people think about our vehicle choices. Anyway, not many people know what a Tesla is, much less the arcane model changes, so there is pretty minimal bragging power here. If it is about such I suggest Lamborghini is a better choice. As for the power of Tesla I still recall "...is that the new Malibu?" from a post here. Keeping up with the Joneses isn't really a Tesla story.
I agree that most Tesla owners are generally down to earth and didn't buy one to attract attention or for bragging rights. What I meant by "Keeping up with the Joneses" is that Tesla is moving more towards a planned obsolescence model. You can't upgrade to next gen seats, you can't physically upgrade your battery (besides P90DL->P100DL), you can't upgrade RWD to AWD, you can't add an XM antenna after the fact, and you can't go from non-AP to AP1.0 to AP2.0, and can't go from a 3G to a 4G radio antenna. Hell, you can't even upgrade the backup camera. And I doubt you'll be able to upgrade the center console CPU when the next version comes out to alleviate the GUI lag. Some of the upgrades I listed should be relatively simple, yet it's not officially possible.

I don't understand this at all. Are you really saying that what you value is not the absolute content of the car but merely the relative
superiority
over other cars? That seems like a hopelessly ephemeral thing to put a dollar value on. And even if that is what you value,
how could any other car (that just stands still, feature-wise, from the moment you drive it off the lot) possibly compete with a Tesla, with its ongoing series of updates, in the long term?

Reactions: KublaConn
The nice thing about all of this innovation is you can own a Model S for anywhere between $40K (about what my 2013 60 is worth) to the newest top of the line $140K. If you are worried about depreciation, buy one that is less expensive. You still get an amazing car with great performance and looks. Want to own the new tech that they just announced yesterday but don't want to spend $140K? Just freakin' wait a year to buy the same car for much less money! Or buy the Model 3 which will have the same tech for less money. But don't criticize Tesla for it's rapid pace of innovation due to a perceived loss of specialness for a certain period of time after purchase that the buyer who is willing to shell out 140k is supposedly entitled to!

Reactions: Aieukl378
I don't understand this at all. Are you really saying that what you value is not the absolute content of the car but merely the relative superiority over other cars?

Actually, that's very understandable. People usually don't like to admit something like this, because this sort of a motivation can seem superficial and ill-mannered. But most people probably have this sort of thing wired into them.

There was a well publicized study in 1998 that gave people the choice between two alternatives: First, you make $50K per year, and everybody else makes $25K. Second, you make $100K per year, and everybody else makes $200K. A majority of people preferred the first option. They preferred a lower standard of living, as long as other people's were lower still.

Lots of folk on this thread are saying "Your great car is no worse because other new cars are better still." That's a great outlook. Amen. But have some empathy for people who define things by comparisons, rather than by absolutes. It's human nature.

Reactions: Trunk Gap
tesla was created just a little bit over the 10-12 year cycle. imagine what a S or X will be like in another 10 years.
Frankly, this is the most amazing point. We have little concept of how much Tesla has been changing our world and raising our own expectations.
The really major breakthroughs, from my consumer view are:
1. AWD-witthout efficiency penalty;
2. AP; AP 2.0- they are not perfect, but nobody else actually delivers usable driver assistance like these, and AP 2.0 might actually deliver level 5 eventually;
3. Over-the-air updates- nobody else even considered making that an integral part of service, upgrades and fault correction;
4. Usable range for long distance travel;
5. Superchargers

Those five things make me think I will never again buy a vehicle that is not a Tesla. Add to that that depreciation on Tesla is less than for equivalent ICE and this turns into a durable value proposition.
I have just ignored the astounding technology and engineering tat actually make these cars work.

How can anybody really complain about costly and/or slow ability to install retrofits? Anybody thinking of another manufacturer that has retrofits on anything at All?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, you make $50K per year, and everybody else makes $25K. Second, you make $100K per year, and everybody else makes $200K. A majority of people preferred the first option. They preferred a lower standard of living, as long as other people's were lower still.
OT, but if everyone else made twice as much as you you would have an (absolute) lower standard of living, regardless of the absolute numbers. The pie may not be fixed-size, but neither is it infinitely elastic.

Those five things make me think I will never again buy a vehicle that is not a Tesla.

What I think is the most amazing thing, and quite frankly, what I think Elon cared most about, is that all of those 5 things will be available from a number of manufacturers in the near(ish) future. There is about to be a revolution in EVs because of what Tesla is doing. They have already fundamentally altered the auto industry. If they never produced another car and ceased to exist tomorrow, the future of cars would still be completely different because of Tesla. If I can afford one, perhaps I will buy a Mission E some day. But that car would not exist (even as a concept) were it not for the success of the Model S.

Reactions: jbcarioca
OT, but if everyone else made twice as much as you you would have an (absolute) lower standard of living, regardless of the absolute numbers. The pie may not be fixed-size, but neither is it infinitely elastic.

Conceded. But I don't think most of the survey respondents were making that sort of macroeconomic deduction. Or maybe the survey said "everybody in your town" or something.

Actually, that's very understandable. People usually don't like to admit something like this, because this sort of a motivation can seem superficial and ill-mannered. But most people probably have this sort of thing wired into them.

There was a well publicized study in 1998 that gave people the choice between two alternatives: First, you make $50K per year, and everybody else makes $25K. Second, you make $100K per year, and everybody else makes $200K. A majority of people preferred the first option. They preferred a lower standard of living, as long as other people's were lower still.

Lots of folk on this thread are saying "Your great car is no worse because other new cars are better still." That's a great outlook. Amen. But have some empathy for people who define things by comparisons, rather than by absolutes. It's human nature.

Very well said. Level headed perspective, not judgmental, not saying whats right or wrong just stating what "is." Good for you.

1. Nose cone was current, now looks old compared to new car.

I personally prefer the Aston Martin look compared to the Daffy Duck look. If they'd come out in reverse order, people would be calling the duck faced look old. Plus if you damage the cone it only costs $140 to fix. I think your issue is that's not current.

2. Headlights now outdated.
Can you really notice the difference in appearance?

3. Rocker panels, now outdated.
I personally don't like body painted rocker panels because the paint is far more likely to be damaged. Personal taste I guess.

4. Don't have a center console (had to pay $1,200 to have one added)
Ok, but you were at least able to factory upgrade after the fact and the MS has increased in price since you bought your car for something equivalent.

5. 40 amp charger now improved to 48 amps for faster charging times

I can charge at 80 amps which is the "old outdated" limit ;)
6. Standard piano black trim now upgraded as base.

Wait, the piano black is gorgeous and there have been threads with folks upset that they can no longer get it. It was my second choice over glossy obeche and by just a hair. Really sad piano black is gone. My baby grand is covered in it as are my $9K Atlantic Tech home theatre speakers.

7. Ugly 19" wheels now upgraded to be more in line with both available optional wheels offered.
Ugly? Well I have both the 21s and the standard 19s. The one thing I like about the old ugly 19s is that they have thin spokes to show off the brake calipers. Isn't that the more desirable look? Anyways, this topic has been debated and there are plenty of folks that prefer the thin spoked look.

9. 90 kwh battery is no longer the best available

But at least YOU have the option to upgrade your battery to the 100 unlike us poor P85DL folks.

10. 2.9 0-60 is now bettered by 4/10ths of a second.

Again, you have the option to upgrade the battery. What other manufacturer will modify your car to later model factory specs?

11. Autopilot now outdated.

Hardware is but not software, so that one doesn't really effect anyone yet.

I've ordered my P90DL on April, received it end of June. 10 days later, had a small accident. It stayed 3 months in the approved body shop, mostly waiting for parts from Tesla because of their shitty communication and logistics. I got my car now, and they've done a shitty job, it is going back tomorrow again. I also had some issues spotted on delivery, and of course, they are also not fixed.
Now, ask me.
I'm really pissed. I've ordered my car about 7 months ago, only driven 300 miles. It is already outdated twice. Depreciation is huge.
I think I'm done with Tesla. They are just trying to keep stock value high by making people talk about them. By rolling changes every 3 months, they just make existing customers angry.

I think your anger is misplaced. It was a taxi driver that hit you and started this whole mess. Why isn't him that you're upset with? I guess Tesla didn't get the memo that after they delivered your car they better stop making it better ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Plug Life
Agree with calisnow whole-heartedly. I'd recommend continuing to enjoy your awesome car, take notes of the new innovations but not beat yourself to death because you don't have the latest gadgets.

If your anxiety about not having the newest and latest (note I didn't necessarily say the best) is too overwhelming, then leasing a Tesla is probably the best (future) option. I personally have never leased a car before because I tend to take care of and own cars for a long time (> 6 years). I can see how the way Tesla constantly upgrades itself may change my car-owning habit. :rolleyes:

The problem is not with Tesla but that the only thing we have to compare them to is the rest of the auto industry where change never happens. We are all so use to the idea that if you buy the 2016 model now that even with a body change the 2017 model isn't going to be THAT big of a difference. And most of the time there is no difference from the 2016 to the 2020 model.

If every car company innovated at the speed Tesla does it would be common place. I have an 85D that is 4 months old, am I sad I won't get AP2? A little. But in 7-8 years when I am ready to buy my next Tesla I'll be able to get AP4.0 plus self charging and full self valet. All because I am sure Tesla will keep on innovating. Stick in it for the long haul people.

And wireless charging in the highways by then

Tesla made 2014 a difficult year for buyers to seek out a used car with the release of AP hardware around October, 2014 (I believe). When shopping for a used 2014, it's something a potential buyer has to be careful of. Sadly, many "potential" pre-owned buyers are not well versed on Tesla's updating model and could lose out simply because this model is foreign to them. Even 2013's have two different battery types and Tesla gives higher trade-in prices to later 2013 cars than early 2013 cars.

2016 Model S's will be a doozy to keep up with. Early 2016 models are effectively the same as a late 2014 model. A mid 2016 model has an all new refreshed look with several new features. And now the late 2016 has major hardware changes to the one feature that creates the most excitement for people considering a switch to a Tesla. Potential buyers are really going to have to do their homework on each used 2016 they're considering, know what the dates are and to specifically ask for production dates on cars they're considering.

I suggested long ago, Tesla should should add the month to their identification. Rather than just being a "2016" should be a "10-2016" for better identification. Then just make it a policy to hold releases at least until the first of the month.

Kelly Blue Book will be useless in determining value on a 2016 in the future since it only covers cars year by year.