Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My outdoor charging box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@davewill Its partially the angle, but it is intentionally set back a bit. I wanted to make sure that no one accidentally backs into it (assuming they ignore it and the EV sign).
The current box is locked and it can't be unplugged without a key. There is a danger that someone could cut the cable but that is the risk we have to take without a garage. A neighbor on the next block had has had one for 6 years so I feel reasonably ok after some basic precautions.

If you need a weatherproof box with a 14-50 receptacle, Amazon has these

Attachments

• AC187F8E-7589-4EE2-8AB5-8778826402A3.png
    AC187F8E-7589-4EE2-8AB5-8778826402A3.png
    701.9 KB · Views: 196
Here's mine. Built this for my S but it should be A-OK for the 3 when it's delivered, August - Cotober.

The UMC is inside and the dome top pulls off to access the charging cable when I need to charge. The whole unit is portable -- with a twist of the bottom serrated piece, I unplug the assembly and move it to the side of the house for safekeeping.

fullsizeoutput_5f71.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f70.jpeg

This is what the whole assembly plugs into. 240 supply is underground -- had an electrician set that up.

DSC_7836.JPG

Last edited:
Here's mine. Built this for my S but it should be A-OK for the 3 when it's delivered, August - Cotober.

The UMC is inside and the dome top pulls off to access the charging cable when I need to charge. The whole unit is portable -- with a twist of the bottom serrated piece, I unplug the assembly and move it to the side of the house for safekeeping.

This is what the whole assembly plugs into. 240 supply is underground -- had an electrician set that up

Wow! So how did you make that receptacle at the bottom? Is it 3C printed or something?

No. It's a Hubbell pin and sleeve device, rated for 600 amps I believe. Four large metal pins at the bottom of the column slip into the receptacle and are tightened down with the serrated round piece. It's waterproof as well. It's been used in all kinds of weather and has never failed.

I'll shoot and post some additional photos tomorrow that show some of the details.

I was going to say, “Did you copy that design from @artsci? They did something very similar.” Then I looked at the name. Maybe you changed the design/color of the post some since the initial development. Definitely a new avatar, so I’ll go with that as why I was being oblivious... :)

• Funny
Reactions: Need
I was going to say, “Did you copy that design from @artsci? They did something very similar.” Then I looked at the name. Maybe you changed the design/color of the post some since the initial development. Definitely a new avatar, so I’ll go with that as why I was being oblivious... :)

Yes, this was a totally new one, but based on my previous design. I wanted to make it lighter than the old one, thus the carbon fiber tube of narrow diameter instead of a much larger diameter plastic bollard. I haven't weighed it but my guess is about 12 pounds, including the UMC.

Reactions: eprosenx
Here are some additional images. The UMC is stored in the column and plugs into its base -- that way the UMC and the connections are essentially waterproofed. Notice the small hump in the center of the cable -- that's because I had the UMC cable shortened to a length just long enough to plug in -- didn't want to carry all of that extra weight around when I moved back and forth from the curb to the side of the house. The dome slips off the top, providing easy access to the UMC and cable.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Not a fire issue. It is a non gfci protected socket outside. Requires gfci protection, always has for over twenty years.
It is a safety issue for people.
Post is so people know not to copy.
The 240v plug is not accessible to the public and the UMC has a GFCI build in. It's part of the spec. The requirement for all electric plugs to have a GFCI is only recent and depends on jurisdiction.

The 240v plug is not accessible to the public and the UMC has a GFCI build in. It's part of the spec. The requirement for all electric plugs to have a GFCI is only recent and depends on jurisdiction.
All “outdoor” receptacles have been required for a long time, more recently is all receptacles like in the garage. Not accessible to the public is irrelevant. If I was my setup I would hard wire a stationary evse, then no gfci required because it is built in charger. I’m not sure a mobile charger has gfci built in.
Only reason I replied to this thread was because it was linked from another thread on how to install a charger on a poll outside.

All “outdoor” receptacles have been required for a long time, more recently is all receptacles like in the garage. Not accessible to the public is irrelevant. If I was my setup I would hard wire a stationary evse, then no gfci required because it is built in charger. I’m not sure a mobile charger has gfci built in.
Only reason I replied to this thread was because it was linked from another thread on how to install a charger on a poll outside.

I'm happy to report that it hasn't burned down. I also did the above after a year or two by replacing the mobile charger with a wall charger. It was a tight fit but was able to get it to fit inside the box. After a year the wall charger had a temperature sensor malfunction so I got to do the install all over again!

Otherwise the box looks a bit more aged and now services 2 Teslas.

In the meantime I have also had to rewire much of my house for a remodel so lots of new GFCI breakers replacing all the 40 year old stuff.