Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P100 goes 0-60 in 2.3 but I wish it could do this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad Audi A8 is so ugly, if it was better looking (and had better performance) I might actually consider it. However, I hope these shortcomings do not deter Tesla from competing with its features regarding usability and comfort.

I actually have my home geofenced to "High Suspension" setting in the Model S primarily for my wife.... some combinations of her higher heels, dresses/skirts, and the limited clearance in the garage to fully open the door make it enough of a challenge for her to get in the car, lol.

What's the benefit of jacking up the side when side-impact is detected?
It's so that way in a higher speed wreck the brunt of the force is given to the floor pan and door sills, instead of the door. It's safer for the occupants as those components are stronger than the door. If you've seen a crushed door that in turn crushed the occupant you'll know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If that Audi's air suspension system is like the one on our Touareg, there is at least 5 gallons of "reserve" air stored in pressure tanks. The compressor fills the tank(s), then the tanks fill the suspension. If they changed the valving a bit, dumping the full pressure stored in the tank(s) would make the car raise quickly like the video shows.

2x on why this helps: it puts the crash forces closer to the strong points of the car.

-J

Reactions: David99
It's so that way in a higher speed wreck the brunt of the force is given to the floor pan and door sills, instead of the door. It's safer for the occupants as those components are stronger than the door. If you've seen a crushed door that in turn crushed the occupant you'll know what I'm talking about.

It would work even better with a Tesla where the battery pack makes the side of the frame more rigid. Check out the side impact videos of Tesla’s compared to say Volvo’s where the battery pack stops most of the inward deformation. That would work even better if the battery pack was elevated by the suspension to take more of the hit.

It would work even better with a Tesla where the battery pack makes the side of the frame more rigid. Check out the side impact videos of Tesla’s compared to say Volvo’s where the battery pack stops most of the inward deformation. That would work even better if the battery pack was elevated by the suspension to take more of the hit.
I'm no battery guy but I don't think I'd want the battery taking the brunt of anything. I've seen what happens when those things break open, yes they are well protected, but purposefully making the battery a focal point of impact doesn't seem like a good idea.

The 3d overview that you can orbit around is pretty cool. Most of this admittedly is convenience and assistance features that are being targeted to older drivers though which is why they are showing up on the big boats first.

@LCR1 I'd take a battery pack side impact over a door side impact any day when I'm the one in the seat. Anything that can hit the pack with enough force to overwhelm all of its failsafes is almost certainly going to be more than the door and b pillar can possibly manage.

I'm no battery guy but I don't think I'd want the battery taking the brunt of anything. I've seen what happens when those things break open, yes they are well protected, but purposefully making the battery a focal point of impact doesn't seem like a good idea.

I want any and all parts of the car to take the hit but me in an accident. You want to break your bones or die to make sure the battery doesn't get damaged?

Not to mention a side hit on the battery pack is where it's the most rigid. It's designed to serve as a reinforced structural member. If the impact on the side of the pack is sufficient to damage it severly enough to subsequently "break it open" is, as @gork mentions, certainly an impact you don't want focused on the door alone.

The bottom of the battery is also reinforced... you are probably good for land mines as well.

Reactions: MP3Mike and David99